2012 debates

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not watching myself, but I am curious if anyone here is, as I'd like to know who is winning and by how much.

I'm watching, and as a Brit/Can, I don't have much riding on the issues, but in general terms, it looks like Romney by a nose.

Definitely a good debate for Willard. Although, expectations were set so low that I think that anything short of spontaneously combusting on stage would have been considered a good night for Willard.

I think he won the debate. However, there was no "John Turner moment". I don't think there was anything tonight that really made that big an impression.

-k

Chris Matthews, an Obama cheerleader if there ever was one, had an interesting perspective.

"He was like, 'Oh an hour and half? I think I can get through this thing. And I don't even look at this guy.' Whereas Romney -- I love the split-screen -- staring at Obama, addressing him like prey. He did it just right. 'I'm coming at an incumbent. I got to beat him. You've got to beat the champ and I'm going to beat him tonight. And I don't care what this guy, the moderator, whatever he thinks he is because I'm going to ignore him," Matthews said.

"What was Romney doing?" Matthews asked. "He was winning."

James Carville said it best. He said it was almost like Obama didn't want to be there. Personally, I'm wondering if Obama even bothered to do any prep for the debate.

Okay, he didn't do that bad Shady. He lost the debate, but, as the panel said, that's typical for incumbent presidents.

romney reminds me of buzz lightyear. it's mostly the voice and the calculated, somewhat artificial style of talking. although, he did seem more human tonight.

Both did okay, Romney a bit better. Probably not enough for things to change though.

From Al Gore’s loud sighing to Jimmy Carter saying he consulted his 12-year-old daughter on nuclear proliferation, presidential debates are full of memorable moments. But despite the fanfare that surrounds each election cycle’s televised events, historical data shows the debates are rarely game changers.

link

Guest Derek L

Up till tonight the Obama team has been able to define Romney………Not any more……….Next week, with Ryan and Biden, it could be deadly for the Democrats……………..I make no bones about being a conservative, and as I said prior in the various other GOP primary threads, I don’t like Romney (I preferred Perry, remembering his time as lieutenant-Governor well living in Texas ), but between tonight (coupled to a lesser extent him at the convention) I think Romney did a lot tonight to further his cause………..

Okay, he didn't do that bad Shady. He lost the debate, but, as the panel said, that's typical for incumbent presidents.

LOL, but you said Obama was going to whip Romney. What happened? :lol:

Anyways, some more press clippings...

James Carville On CNN: Romney ‘Had A Good Night,’ While Obama ‘Didn’t Want To Be There’

Chris Matthews: ‘What Was He Doing Tonight?’

Van Jones: 'Romney out-Obama'ed Obama tonight.'

Ed Schultz: 'I Was Absolutely Stunned,' Obama Was 'Off His Game'

Andrew Sullivan: 'This was a disaster'

That's your boy they're talkin about Smallc, what happened man? Remember when you said this...?

I just don't see them as being Obama's equals, and I don't think I'm alone there. An Obama - Romney debate won't, IMO, end well for Romney.

I can't remember, it's been about an hour or so, how did it end for Romney? :D

For Romney, it didn't end well enough. It wasn't a game changing debate...and there are two more. Obama did look off his game. He looked tired...he looked sick, actually.

Spoken like a true Obama fanboy. CNN's poll of registered voters showed Romney winning the debate 67% to 25%. CBS as well. But I'll leave you with this...

Bill Maher: "I can't believe I'm saying this, but Obama DOES look like he needs a teleprompter."

I don't know where you keep getting this idea that I like Obama. He lost the debate. He didn't lose it in a way that's going to propel Romney to anything.

How do you know that? Is this part of the same theory that insisted a debate between Romney and Obama wouldn't end well for Romney? Let's face it. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. When it comes to this topic, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. That much is certain.

you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Two things you know a great deal about, I'm assuming? You were watching the same panels as me, and you got something completely different out of it. Obama lost (although it wasn't a bitch slap as you keep trying to say - people are saying the things they are because they're as surprised as me that he lost at all). I'm surprised, quite frankly, but, that happens once in a while. I'll be very surprised if Romney's at best mediocre performance gets him anywhere.

I enjoyed the debate and I liked the format where they could address each other directly. It was almost as good as the debates in the past Quebec election in terms of content and delivery style.

The spin seems to be that it was Rocky versus Apollo Creed: The hungry, underestimated underdog against the cocky, arrogant incumbent who phones it in. While I can understand that viewpoint, instead I saw two policy wonks who honestly care about the US. I'm surprised that Obama agreed to the debate format.

Anyway, whatever the spin, Romney still is on the wrong side of too many numbers.