Omar is back

PIK

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a number have of us have already said the same...rules/laws are made on a whim by the victor...germany during ww2 decided resistance fighters were terrorists and had no civil rights, torturing and executing them freely...the USA a country born out of revolution hates revolutionaires(terrorists) unless they oppose american enemies then they're transformed by the political propaganda machine into brave heroic freedom fighters...rule/laws are made and broken as required to suit political agendas...

I agree with the general sentiment, but the Harper gov seems to follow suit.

So Afghanistan is Khadr's country? Not Canada? Furthermore, the Afghan government wasn't fighting against the Americans. Or Canadians. Or NATO.

Edited to add: How you can defend his actions is impossible to understand.

Khadr could also have Afghan or Pakistani or even Egyptian citizenship (his dad was Egyptian-Canadian, no idea what his mom was), I don't really know. Given the amount of time he spend lviing outside Canada this seems likely.

I really shouldn't defend the guy until I read more about him. I just read that he likely had a bunch of contact and possibly training with al Qaeda (and his dad was extremely likely linked to al Qaeda), so that changes things, I thought he was linked more to the Taliban. BTW this is one of the reasons I despise the concept of dual/multi-citizenship, because in times of war your allegiances are split. You should be forced to choose one country only to swear your allegiance.

This line of thought wouldn't make Canada look very good. 'Well, he just killed an ally, so he didn't do anything against Canada.' You think killing Canada's allies, which would in effect hinder Canada's mission there, wouldn't count? What about the videos of him helping assemble and plant explosives, which Canadian troops could have stepped on? That's not treason, because fortunately no Canadian troops were killed?

I just read about his landmine/IED activity in 2002, so yes that would make him a traitor. If he was an adult at the time, I would argue for him to either be jailed for life or exiled and his citizenship revoked. But since he was 14-15 at the time of the charges, and his actions greatly influenced or even partly dictated by his parents, that makes things more difficult.

right and wrong are both entirely subjective. he was presenting some huge assumptions as though they were absolute fact. Most (though not all) rational people think that's wrong.

[ed.: +]

Actually, right and wrong are not subjective, you twit. They are determined by courts of law (not kangaroo courts). And the `huge assumptions' I presented, like Omar being too wounded to have ever thrown the grenade, were presented as facts at the time... it was a fact presented by journalists who were not right-wing, not hate-mongering, not racist, and not sucking at the teat of the Pentagon's `official' story.

You assume to speak for most "rational" people? Let me throw your juvenile accusation right back at ya... Assume much?

Twit.

How about dealing with my dichotomy between true patriot love and blind, militant nationalism? Too deep for you, twit?

Regurgitating the hate-mongering, xenophobic, right-wing media's interpretation of the Khadr saga is easy for any twit. It takes something more to consider the story outside of the hype and the currently popular political opinion.

I'm a bit late getting back to your silly retort because you twits simply aren't valuable enough for my time anymore.

Actually, right and wrong are not subjective, you twit. They are determined by courts of law (not kangaroo courts). And the `huge assumptions' I presented, like Omar being too wounded to have ever thrown the grenade, were presented as facts at the time... it was a fact presented by journalists who were not right-wing, not hate-mongering, not racist, and not sucking at the teat of the Pentagon's `official' story.

You assume to speak for most "rational" people? Let me throw your juvenile accusation right back at ya... Assume much?

Twit.

How about dealing with my dichotomy between true patriot love and blind, militant nationalism? Too deep for you, twit?

Regurgitating the hate-mongering, xenophobic, right-wing media's interpretation of the Khadr saga is easy for any twit. It takes something more to consider the story outside of the hype and the currently popular political opinion.

I'm a bit late getting back to your silly retort because you twits simply aren't valuable enough for my time anymore.

I don't see how name calling is going to be helpful.

He was found guilty in an official US court.

In the US if you are in a car and one person in that car kills someone, guess what? Everyone is guilty.

Omar Khadr was trained to hate the west and its lifestyle which includes freedom to be homosexual. He was a trained bomb maker. he was born in Canada but only spent 2 years of his life in this country. The rest were spent training to kill the west. He's not some innocent child like the left would have us believe. The man is a traitor and is lucky to be alive and is only alive because the US chose to keep him alive.

He was found guilty in an official US court.

He was found guilty in something FAR from a real court of law. That's a fact.

Omar Khadr was trained to hate the west and its lifestyle...He was a trained bomb maker.

Assume much, Mr. Halton Hills, you twit?

he was born in Canada but only spent 2 years of his life in this country. The rest were spent training to kill the west. He's not some innocent child like the left would have us believe. The man is a traitor and is lucky to be alive and is only alive because the US chose to keep him alive.

Well said, Mr. Halton Hills.... I'm sure somebody in the previous Bush Administration will appreciate your insightful opinion....

Can I see these facts to our claim? The court thing? You know.... Facts are nice...

From what I can tell, it was indeed a real court.. I would like to see your "facts"... A link to something other than an editorial would be great.... And I don't do "blogs"... Can you post please? I'm interested in this injustice.... I can't ring anything factual on Google.. you seem like a "facts guy"... I'm a facts guy too.... You won't have any difficulty digging up these facts as it's a fact that your a fact guy... Now that a fact...right?

I will await your reply.... And not opinion..

When you say "twit"... Are you pointing us to "twitter"? A tweet? I haven't found them reliable. Stop Twit-ING. It's not factual and your all about "da facts"... I await your facts on how the court process was not based on facts (regardless of his un-rdmousefull confession) and the court process was something "far from a real court".... Facts.... I love facts... That's a fact

Edited by Fletch 27

Can I see these facts to our claim? The court thing? You know.... Facts are nice...

From what I can tell, it was indeed a real court.. I would like to see your "facts"... A link to something other than an editorial would be great.... And I don't do "blogs"... Can you post please? I'm interested in this injustice.... I can't ring anything factual on Google..

I will await your reply.... And not opinion..

When you say "twit"... Are you pointing us to "twitter"? A tweet? I haven't found them reliable. Stop Twit-ING.

For starters, Google "Khadr Kangaroo Court" and educate yourself on the Guantanamo military tribunal that found Omar guilty... the same tribunal that America wouldn't allow on it's own soil due to its lack of proper procedure....

"Twit" is an insult but you, my friend, are not a twit. And I'm not your internet guide. If you want a full story, read "Guantanamo's Child"

http://www.amazon.ca/Guantanamos-Child-Untold-Story-Khadr/dp/0470841176

Written by a wonderful Canadian Journalist.

Lovely opinion pieces.... Can I direct you to Google and find "where is waldo".... As well as your link, no facts, but lots of colour. Can you please direct me to a factual link where the due process in a us federal court process was broken? I'm still keen on these facts

You will have tons of time..... When you get tired, try www.whereiswaldo.com., it will keep your mind "sharp"....

Lovely opinion pieces.... Can I direct you to Google and find "where is waldo".... As well as your link, no facts, but lots of colour. Can you please direct me to a factual link where the due process in a us federal court process was broken? I'm still keen on these facts

You will have tons of time..... When you get tired, try www.whereiswaldo.com., it will keep your mind "sharp"....

Sorry, my mistake. You are a twit who is internet-challenged and can't find your own facts.

(edited) beyond that, you're a manipulative twit who was trying to set me up... Ever read a book? It wasn't a "us federal court" to begin with.

Edited by Radsickle

I'm rubber, your glue....

Now show me the facts that you exposed from you high and mighty left.... Ahem.... You got nothing huh? It's a vast interweb ...must be sumpin on there.... Darn interweb huh? Maybe you have it set to "factual mode"...... Try switching it to "fiction mode"...

Yes, I was "setting you up"..... It's a big conspiracy,

Edited by Fletch 27

Guest American Woman

One is too small/fuzzy to read, the other I can't scroll down to read.

Not on my computer, so good thing I quoted from them for you, eh? So, comments? - Or are you just going to pretend that what I posted doesn't exist? I can see why that would be tempting for you, since it goes against all of your "assumptions."

No you didn't:At what age did Omar Khadr make a legal free choice to join AlQuaeda?

Yes, I did. Perhaps, just like my links, my answer is too fuzzy or too small for you to read.

That's a fact.

Canada was not formally 'in' Afghanistan at the time.

Canada "formally" joined the war in Afghanistan on October 2 7*, 2001. I'd provide a source, but evidently links don't work on your computer.

(Edited to correct typo)

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

You're right, but the rest of `what you say' is an `American Woman's gibberish.

What I said is supported by sources, while what you say here in response is ... nothing.

Omar Khadr did nothing wrong. He was a soldier in a war and he killed the enemy. All soldiers aspire to the same.

That said, he was made a prisoner of war and he should remain one until the war is over. Could be a while.

He should get his red cross parcels and be watched carefully while out walking in the yard in case he tries to dispose of soil down his pant legs.

He should not be back in Canada.

I agree. I dont think this guy did anything wrong at all.

And as a POW you are right that he should be held until the war is over. The only problem I see is that the GWOT is not actually a war its a racket. It will go on until the people being tricked into funding it wise up, and that could be many decades.

Guest American Woman

It amazes me that people can think that a guy who takes up arms against their country/their country's allies in war "didn't do anything wrong."

And as a POW you are right that he should be held until the war is over. The only problem I see is that the GWOT is not actually a war its a racket. It will go on until the people being tricked into funding it wise up, and that could be many decades.

As I've already pointed out, POWs are released back into the enemy's country, not the country who was holding them.

Not on my computer, so good thing I quoted from them for you, eh? So, comments? - Or are you just going to pretend that what I posted doesn't exist? I can see why that would be tempting for you, since it goes against all of your "assumptions."

Yes, I did. Perhaps, just like my links, my answer is too fuzzy or too small for you to read.

Canada "formally" joined the war in Afghanistan on October 2, 2001. I'd provide a source, but evidently links don't work on your computer.

I stand corrected.

In that case perhaps thoughts of treason are relevant, though his age might be an issue.

Still can't read your links on my device.

And tell me again - simple answer - at what age did Omar 'choose' to join AlQuaeda?

The Taliban (Pashto: طالبان‎), alternative spelling Taleban,[5] (ṭālibān, meaning "students" in Pashto) is an Islamic fundamentalist militant movement of Pashtun tribesmen.[6] It ruled large parts of Afghanistan and its capital, Kabul, as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan from September 1996 until October 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban

It's extremily hard to debate a topic when the person your debating knows nothing about it. So i'll spell it out for you....Taliban took over power on Sept 1996....and was removed from power on Oct 2001.....by Coalition forces......following so far....after which in Dec 2001 Hamid Karzi is chosen by Prominent Afghan political figures to serve a 6 mth term as Chairman of the interm admin, then he was chosen as imterm President during the 2002 Grand assembly.....after this term he is elected as President by the Afghan people.....I gave you all the links below should be easy enough to follow....during this time the Taliban do no have any control over the government......

Hamid Karzai, GCMG (Pashto: حامد کرزی‎, Hāmid Karzay; born 24 December 1957) is the 12th and current President of Afghanistan, taking office on 7 December 2004. He became a dominant political figure after the removal of the Taliban regime in late 2001.[1] During the December 2001 International Conference on Afghanistan in Germany, Karzai was selected by prominent Afghan political figures to serve a six month term as Chairman of the Interim Administration.[2]

He was then chosen for a two year term as Interim President during the 2002 loya jirga (grand assembly) that was held in Kabul, Afghanistan. After the 2004 presidential election, Karzai was declared winner and became President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. He won a second five-year-term in the disputed 2009 presidential election.[

The US and ISAF were not under Afghan command......

Your right but that was not what i said i said they were operating under the Authority of the Afghan government it was the AFghan government that invited ISAF to stay and assist with gaining control over the country, and to deal with the insurgents......I hope that is clear enough....

The US invasion. You are looking at it from a side, you fail. .....

AT this piont in time the US invasion is done , and has moved into a 2 part mission one with the US driving and one with ISAF driving.....it's changed from invasion to assistance.....SO once again i'll ask what invasion, ISAF was asked by the Afghan government to assist hard to invade when the countries government ask for your help.....

So now Omar is a terrorist operating illigally in a country that does not want his assistance.....making him an insurgent....one that is being hunted by the Afghan government and ISAF......so with all that what gives Omar and his merry band the right to answer the door with automatic gun fire...and how is that self defense....and does that give criminal in Canada the right to greet cops at the door with gun fire and could they claim self defense....

......that's very selective, the taliban government were fighting an illegal invasion I wasn't aware the USA gets to decide who was the government of afghanistan...apparently the justice/laws/rules of war are whatever the USA decides they should be, which is essentially is the same as having no rules, laws or justice...

If you read all the above links it should come clear to you who was in power , and when they took power....

Why then was he held as an insurgent and not as a POW....Was he classified as a soldier....NOPE why is that what is the legal reason......