Omar is back

PIK

But you have to be the naive to believe that upon his release Intelligence services are going to ignore his movements.

I have no doubt that the RCMP and CSIS will be monitoring him, but do you think that he will be brought to justice for any future wrong doing unless there is a smoking gun? At any point in time if the intelligence or police services were to bring forth a case concerning him, the people like eyeball will be up in arms to defend him and the agencies themselves will be leery of any action lest they be seen as gunning for the little terrorist.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Foreign Affairs minister, with that being said, we could have done more than we did, especially considering Optional Protocol that both America and Canada had signed 6 months prior to his capture. Maybe we couldn't have secured his release but lets keep in mind the USA "pawned" him over to us eventually and the Canadian Govt dragged their feet as long as possible before sticking him in Millhaven.

The Canadian government has the primary duty to protect Canadians, so in this case they inconvenienced him for some time but they know apt more and made sure that he will serve at least some time behind bars before he is released by Canadian Authorities.

Rehabilitation programs, certified doctors and support groups potentially with other ex-child soldiers with whom he could connect with on a certain level.
How would the rehabilitation program work if he is stuck living with his family?
But he wasn't the only "POS" alive as you so elegantly stated in point 2.
Yes but as I have thrown hand grandees I can tell you that there are certain physical limitations as to where the grenade comes from and how far you can throw it and what direction it came from.
Any person with a brain can realize the numerous inconsistencies. Have you ever considered the possibility of friendly fire? The US Govt would never cover up an instance of friendly fire though... would they? *cough pat tillman*

Friendly Fire is a possibility but I discard it because of the fact that those soldiers were Special Forces in the immediate vicinity and thus I doubt that they would make such a mistake. And another thing is that I can think of so many easier ways to do a coverup than this method as it seems a little overkill and waste of resources.

If you bothered to read the links I posted you'd save me a lot of time from having to go back to them, reread and then copy and paste here for you but anyways,

There you go, there is the evidence you provided it yourself.

Nobody is claiming that Al Qaeda is as militarily savvy as the US is, they have way less technology, funding and are just rudimentary in the way they do things. I don't buy for a second here that when the IED's are planted by AQ that they are aiming to hit native Afghans (unless they were associated with the US soldiers) - its just the cost of war..
Then you most definitely need to read up on the subject.
No different than the US targeting insurgents but killing woman and children in drone strikes, they both have "good" intentions so to speak.

I would strongly suggest you read up on the Taliban and their allies which includes AQ.

If he was over 18 at the time I doubt you would see as much grief for his case.
There would still be the bleeding hearts who would be crying over not bringing the terrorist "home"
I just don't think that we should have wrote him off early into his stay at GBay as children/teens who commit crimes can be rehabilitated under the right cirumstances, unfortunately for all of us sitting with radical muslims in a military prison probably wasn't the "right circumstances".
The chances for rehabilitation even after capture were slim at best, now its near impossible.

At any point in time if the intelligence or police services were to bring forth a case concerning him, the people like eyeball will be up in arms to defend him and the agencies themselves will be leery of any action lest they be seen as gunning for the little terrorist.

And The Khadr effect comes full circle.

PETER F

He already falls into a catagory: Murderer (alleged). That being so what was all the rigamarole with creating military commisions? Murderers are tried every day in civil courts. Hell, even people who are charged with war-crimes end up in civilian courtrooms. But that would be too much trouble producing evidence and having the accused actually see the evidence etc.

And I think your idea that 'he could have surrendered' is very very far fetched. Once the American SF boys start an assault they are not going in to take prisoners. They shoot everyone - just like Haditha and just like Khost. Omar was the only one to survive the assualt and that by some sort of miracle.

No he falls into the catagory of convicted, and admitted Murderer. How would one gather evidence in a war zone, or active battle field.

Omar is like any other insurgent in Afghanistan, if you are unarmed, or laying down spread eagle proving your unarmed then you will not be engaged. your statement of "Once the American SF boys start an assault they are not going in to take prisoners. They shoot everyone" is false ....They will engage anyone they see as a threat, a threat is anyone who is armed...and while mistakes sometimes happen they are rare, and are very skilled at what they do, that is making micro second decisions that are life and death. If Omar had wanted to surrender that was a option. But someone that begs to be shot and finshed off is not really looking for surrender is he...

If Omar had wanted to surrender that was a option. But someone that begs to be shot and finshed off is not really looking for surrender is he...

No, sir. He was probably looking to be put out of his pain; the pain caused by the numerous wounds that would have prevented him from lifting his own hand let alone a grenade. Or the pain caused by being the childhood victim of a misguided, religiously-fascist father. I don't know. But he probably anticipated the West's lack of understanding and just wanted to end the nightmare.

I'm so f'ing glad that didn't happen! The stupid people in Canada might now learn something about true patriotism vrs. blind, militant nationalism.

He was probably looking to be put out of his pain; the pain caused by the numerous wounds that would have prevented him from lifting his own hand let alone a grenade. Or the pain caused by being the childhood victim of a misguided, religiously-fascist father. I don't know. But he probably anticipated the West's lack of understanding and just wanted to end the nightmare.

Assume much?

It's sickening that people are excusing Khadr's crimes. He knew what he was doing was wrong and pleaded guilty to it.

He's made it pretty clear he pleaded guilty to escape being tortured and abused.

What's really sickening is how his vilifiers will hold up his confession like it was gospel truth handed down from God himself. The very second he recants his confession every single one of you people will be calling him the biggest liar on the planet.

You just watch.

What's really clear and more important is that Radsicle knows more about the difference between right and wrong.

For himself, I guess; right and wrong are both entirely subjective. I fail to see the importance in the context, though; behind the very weak disguise, he was presenting some huge assumptions as though they were absolute fact. Most (though not all) rational people think that's wrong.

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

He's made it pretty clear he pleaded guilty to escape being tortured and abused.

What's really sickening is how his vilifiers will hold up his confession like it was gospel truth handed down from God himself. The very second he recants his confession every single one of you people will be calling him the biggest liar on the planet.

You just watch.

Look at that, Taliban and al-Qaeda don't have a Conduct after Capture course...Who da thunk it!

Edited by Signals.Cpl

You just watch.

I will definitely call him a liar.

If he wasn't guilty he shouldn't have said he was guilty. So now it doesn't matter what he says. he's already plead guilty so he is guilty. End of story. He's a convicted murderer and war criminal. Do you support all child war criminals?

I will definitely call him a liar.

If he wasn't guilty he shouldn't have said he was guilty. So now it doesn't matter what he says. he's already plead guilty so he is guilty. End of story. He's a convicted murderer and war criminal. Do you support all child war criminals?

Pleading guilty in a war criminal's kangaroo court is what doesn't matter, except to the kangaroo. He's an innocent victim. And thanks for acknowledging he was a child when he was framed.

Do you support all kangaroo court's?

Pleading guilty in a war criminal's kangaroo court is what doesn't matter, except to the kangaroo. He's an innocent victim. And thanks for acknowledging he was a child when he was framed.

I support recognized military tribunals. Omar Khadr threw a grenade at a soldier. Afaik you weren't there so we have to take word of people who were. Many witnesses with the same story is good enough for me. Was he framed when he was trained to kill westerners?

He spent 2 years in Canada the rest was spent in Pakistan and Afghanistan training to kill westerners.

He knew what he was doing when he killed that soldier.

Picture

yeah this is the picture of someone who is innocent. He is building a bomb here. Doesn't look framed or under duress to me. He looks fairly relaxed.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I support recognized military tribunals. Omar Khadr threw a grenade at a soldier. Afaik you weren't there so we have to take word of people who were. Many witnesses with the same story is good enough for me.

Bully for you. How much do you want to bet it won't even come close to being good enough in our justice system?

Was he framed when he was trained to kill westerners?

That's right.

He spent 2 years in Canada the rest was spent in Pakistan and Afghanistan training to kill westerners.

Which means absolutely zip.

He knew what he was doing when he killed that soldier.

He was face down under a slab of concrete when that soldier was killed.

Picture

yeah this is the picture of someone who is innocent. He is building a bomb here. Doesn't look framed or under duress to me. He looks fairly relaxed.

How come I don't see the dead soldier or slab of concrete?

How come I don't see the dead soldier or slab of concrete?

So were you there at that exact moment when that happened? If you weren't you have no credibility at all. Whose word are you taking on this anyways? Khadrs? Yeah it's rare that a convicted murderer and war criminal would lie. They always tell the truth.

So were you there at that exact moment when that happened? If you weren't you have no credibility at all.

So you were there? Do tell.

Whose word are you taking on this anyways? Khadrs?

And some of the other people who were there too.

Yeah it's rare that a convicted murderer and war criminal would lie. They always tell the truth.

So do torture victims, supposedly.

War Criminal = framed? Gee what world do you inhabit? He had every opportunity to lay down his arms and surrender, instead he chose to fight and kill while being an illegal combatant. In the majority of cases child soldiers are not fighting against professionals such as the American Special Forces and are not allowed the choose of surrender. Comparing him to a child soldier is fundamentally unfair towards real child soldiers who were not given a chance to choose at the time of battle because they were fighting against people who have little regard for the value of human lives and most likely will not accept a surrender because they too are using child soldiers.

Many people don't understand the value of their word, pleading guilty is pleading guilty and crossing your fingers and taking your guilty plea back at your convenience does not make one innocent.

So you were there? Do tell.

No, Mr. Canada was most likely not there at the time, but the witnesses were there and they state what happened and I would take the version of events they present over the version of someone who was not there, and has limited understanding of the situation at hand and bases his opinion on assumptions.

And some of the other people who were there too.
There are some people who were there and then there some people who were "there".
So do torture victims, supposedly.

Apparently not, because Khadr lied according to you at least.

Blah blah blah

Many people don't understand the value of their word, pleading guilty is pleading guilty and crossing your fingers and taking your guilty plea back at your convenience does not make one innocent.

Many people understand the value of due process and our Charter rights. Coercing a guilty plea from a minor anyone whose been deprived of these fundamental tenets of justice makes you guilty.

But don't take my word for that, go talk to the Supreme Court of Canada. You do believe the SC don't you?

Edited by eyeball