Principals Support No Zeros

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Principals, who are educational leaders and experts support the no zero policy. No one deserves a zero. It's good to see common sense prevailing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/09/24/edmonton-teachers-zero-policy.html

So a kid not showing up at all to write an exam deserves a mark above zero? What exactly has the kid done to receive the mark?

So a kid not showing up at all to write an exam deserves a mark above zero? What exactly has the kid done to receive the mark?

No the learner gets an incomplete which doesn't negatively affect his mark. That's how a work. Let's say there are 15 assignments and a learner completes 8 of them. The learner is only graded on the 8 assignments he completed. Missing the other assignments is considered a behavioural issue and shouldn't affect what the learner already has done.

nonsense.

There is no proof that "no zeros" actually lead to more successful people.

It's a feel good implementation that generates a higher graduation rate to refer to.

NOTHING MORE.

If anything, it cheapens the value of our education system. High School means nothing. Honour Roll means NOTHING.

nonsense.

There is no proof that "no zeros" actually lead to more successful people.

It's a feel good implementation that generates a higher graduation rate to refer to.

NOTHING MORE.

If anything, it cheapens the value of our education system. High School means nothing. Honour Roll means NOTHING.

A "no zeroes" policy does lead to higher averages, though. It therefore serves the interests of principals who are, at least partially, held to account for the averages of their students.

A "no zeroes" policy does lead to higher averages, though. It therefore serves the interests of principals who are, at least partially, held to account for the averages of their students.

And that is what it is used for.

They can also label D's as A's.

The performance is the same... The representation has altered. Nothing more.

No the learner gets an incomplete which doesn't negatively affect his mark. That's how a work. Let's say there are 15 assignments and a learner completes 8 of them. The learner is only graded on the 8 assignments he completed. Missing the other assignments is considered a behavioural issue and shouldn't affect what the learner already has done.

That's insane. By this logic a kid could do one exam skip the whole rest of the year and still get an A. That is not right. Merit and hard work should be rewarded, nothing more nothing less. No wonder our education system is the weakest in the western world.

Ok, now that I have regained my composure from that brief laughing fit, I'll address the obvious troll.

So how do you propose to change the behavior?

Also, since I smacked your use of grammar in the other thread, I'll take issue with your lack of math skills as well. Last time I checked (checked again juuuuust to make sure) that 8+8=16. Not fifteen.

How does a teacher calculate a proper grade when half of the assignments were missed? Typically your grade is based on the average score of all the assignments. Does the no-zero prevent a missed assignment for not getting graded? Total grade divided by the number of assignments.

Even if a persons scored 100% on half of them, with a zero, it averages out to 50% as it should. With the no zero, is the missed assignment simply not factored into the grade? If so we have students that are passing into the next grade without meeting the requirements of the current grade. You are passing failures onto the next grade.

Ok, now that I have regained my composure from that brief laughing fit, I'll address the obvious troll.

So how do you propose to change the behavior?

Also, since I smacked your use of grammar in the other thread, I'll take issue with your lack of math skills as well. Last time I checked (checked again juuuuust to make sure) that 8+8=16. Not fifteen.

How does a teacher calculate a proper grade when half of the assignments were missed? Typically your grade is based on the average score of all the assignments. Does the no-zero prevent a missed assignment for not getting graded? Total grade divided by the number of assignments.

Even if a persons scored 100% on half of them, with a zero, it averages out to 50% as it should. With the no zero, is the missed assignment simply not factored into the grade? If so we have students that are passing into the next grade without meeting the requirements of the current grade. You are passing failures onto the next grade.

Where did I say 8+8 = 16? i think you need some lessons in reading comprehension. I said if a student completes 8 out of 15 assignments, then the leaner is only assessed on those 8 assignments he completed. He is not given zeros for the 7 he missed. He is given an incomplete, which shows that it is a behaviour issue not a learning issue. Got that?

That's insane. By this logic a kid could do one exam skip the whole rest of the year and still get an A. That is not right. Merit and hard work should be rewarded, nothing more nothing less. No wonder our education system is the weakest in the western world.

Our education system, especially public education is ranked 5th in the world. Stop making crap up.

Where did I say 8+8 = 16? i think you need some lessons in reading comprehension. I said if a student completes 8 out of 15 assignments, then the leaner is only assessed on those 8 assignments he completed. He is not given zeros for the 7 he missed. He is given an incomplete, which shows that it is a behaviour issue not a learning issue. Got that?

Ah yes, I did misread that. My apologies.

Now how do you propose to change the behavioral issue of not completing assignments?

By ignoring delibarately missed assignments - which is what the no zero policy amounts you, the message given to the student that there is no negative consequence for his/her behaviour. The behaviour problem is unlikely to change - the opposite, actually.

The policy is in place cross Canada. There are many policies that you probably wouldn't like if you knew about them. What are you going to do about it? Bitch on this forum like gosthacked, middleclasscentrist, Mr. Canada and the rest of the know-nothings here?

The policy is in place cross Canada. There are many policies that you probably wouldn't like if you knew about them. What are you going to do about it? Bitch on this forum like gosthacked, middleclasscentrist, Mr. Canada and the rest of the know-nothings here?

Based on a reading of your postings on, well, about any subject, I wouldn't comment on why knows nothing if I were you.

If it is a behavorial issue, how will it be resolved, considering there is no negative repercussion for not doing the assignments?

Based on a reading of your postings on, well, about any subject, I wouldn't comment on why knows nothing if I were you.

If it is a behavorial issue, how will it be resolved, considering there is no negative repercussion for not doing the assignments?

There are no repercussions. It's happening and the experts don't care that people like you don't like the policy. What do you know about public education.

This is your third thread you started on the same subject.

There are no repercussions. It's happening and the experts don't care that people like you don't like the policy. What do you know about public education.

There are no repercussion. In other word, the lesson learned is: "don't do what you are asked to do - not to worry, there will be no reprecussion". Greeeeeeat lesson to teach. will be valuable once in post-secondary education when the professor doesn't care about your behaviour - no aassignment = F. Will be valuable too when NOT flipping burgers at Burger King - sure will result in a long and prosperous career.

As for what I know about public education... I know that it fails unless students acquire a set of skills and knowledge that will be useful to them through life. Skills and knowledge that are not acquired when a student can get away with doing nothing. If you do not know that, then - on this as on other topics, you know nothing.

Do you think this policy best serves the students? Why was this put in place?

So like I said, a student who does well on one assignment and skips the rest will get an A while a student who completes every assignment gets a B....Yes that seems fair. I'm so glad my kids aren't in the public system.

Edited by Mr.Canada

It is great for learners. They get many chances to show evidence of their learning. getting rid of zeros and due dates was a great thing.

Explain how it helps students. They learn that they don't need to work hard or follow guidelines. In fact why have teachers at all? Just give everyone an A. Are children today that fragile that they cannot take failing? Lol weaklings.