Dexter the most unpopular premier in Canada

Why would Irving need $300 million? As well the govt already invested in mills and they till closed, I don't agree with continued subsidies. I don't know much about what the plans for the paper mill are, do they have a plan outside throwing money at it?

I don't know how many times I need to tell you this. That 300 million is a LOAN TO BE REPAID not a gift. It was part of the deal because in order for that shipyard to bid on a 30 BILLION dollar contract they needed to retool. Irving told the government of NS if they could give them the loan to retool then they wouldn't need to put the interest costs into the bid thus they could lower the bid and HAVE THE BEST BID IN THE COUNTRY. Only an idiot would think that was a bad idea.

Pacific West has a very different model then any other mill in NS. Which might be why they wanted to buy this mill. Not to mention the investment the power company has in that mill. With out that mill up and running pumping out the power from its boiler there would huge power rate increases. The mills in NS account for 20% of all the power consumed in that province. That is why they need to keep it going because with out someone buying the power the price goes back to the people of NS. You are have no idea what you are talking about. You don't understand the problem. You look at it as free money, while in reality because the repercussions it would have cost that province a whole lot more to let that bid go under or to lose that ship building contract. Both of those aren't options unless you wanted to see the oldest province in the country get older and older. Who pays for Medicare when the whole province is retired?

NS is facing a lot of problems you clearly don't understand.

I think you are right though. If you want a do nothing government that will let Rural NS die, and watch power rates increase 80-150% instead of the 12-15% over 4 years electing the Liberals is a great start. They have made it clear those are their goals through the terrible policies they have suggested.

Edited by punked

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His governemnt just agreed to $150 million in welfare for the paper mill in Port Hawkesbury, a place staffed via nepotism since forever and now once again propped up by the government to enable the few to keep reapng the benefits of under skilled and over paid jobs. It Seems no one else in that area could use some help...the guys who have been making $40 bucks an hour with no education becuse their daddy got them a job 20 years ago deserve to be taken care of..again.

His governemnt just agreed to $150 million in welfare for the paper mill in Port Hawkesbury, a place staffed via nepotism since forever and now once again propped up by the government to enable the few to keep reapng the benefits of under skilled and over paid jobs. It Seems no one else in that area could use some help...the guys who have been making $40 bucks an hour with no education becuse their daddy got them a job 20 years ago deserve to be taken care of..again.

The word loan does not mean gift. If you can't figure out the difference no wonder your province is in trouble.

I tend to view Dexter as governing as a PC, and have always felt that is the direction he would travel as Premier. It seems to be holding true.

And more importantly, this deal has no Job Guarrantees, thus its the same stuff you see from the Federal and Provincial governments in other jurisdictions.

As a Nova Scotian, I can give you a POV from within the beast. He promised a number of things that he broke shortly after he was elected. Raising the HST is one of them. He removed the cap on call sizes and cut the education budget, while giving money to poorly run industries to haplessly save jobs that are slowly dying. He levied at 30-40% renewable energy requirement for NS Power by 2020, which sounds like a good idea in theory, except someone has to pay for it and it's very aggressive (The PC's has 10-20% I think). We are STILL running a deficit, even though they keep promising to eliminate it (it's only $200 some-odd million, so if he WANTED to, he could eliminate it).

He just comes off as a crony politician, spreading money around to buy him seats. We are the most expensive province to live in, and we have the highest inflation in the country. The shipbuilding contract will be a major boost, but I think he is leaning on it too much in terms of economic benefit. He isn't making any really tough decisions, kind of just cruising along when we should go back to the John Hamm days of creating a blueprint for Nova Scotia for the future.

That's my point of view, anyways.

EDIT: Looks like the deficit is getting bigger, as of today. (http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/139689-ns-deficit-expected-to-grow-to-249-million)

Edited by Cameron

He just comes off as a crony politician, spreading money around to buy him seats. We are the most expensive province to live in, and we have the highest inflation in the country. The shipbuilding contract will be a major boost, but I think he is leaning on it too much in terms of economic benefit. He isn't making any really tough decisions, kind of just cruising along when we should go back to the John Hamm days of creating a blueprint for Nova Scotia for the future.

That's my point of view, anyways.

EDIT: Looks like the deficit is getting bigger, as of today. (http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/139689-ns-deficit-expected-to-grow-to-249-million)

Citation please. Your point of view is moot because it is based on false fact. I have to assume after your post that your view of the Dexter government is also based o false views. Nova Scotia is no where close to the "most expensive province to live in" and you dont "have the highest inflation". I am sure this is what the opposition in NS says but it is easily verifiable. So verify it before you post it her because right mow all you are is another uninformed voter and I the end isn't that what got you guys into the mess you are in now? Keep it up though becaus learning is hard and actually changing your province for the better is even harder. Have fun I the future with more of the same.

Citation please. Your point of view is moot because it is based on false fact. I have to assume after your post that your view of the Dexter government is also based o false views. Nova Scotia is no where close to the "most expensive province to live in" and you dont "have the highest inflation". I am sure this is what the opposition in NS says but it is easily verifiable. So verify it before you post it her because right mow all you are is another uninformed voter and I the end isn't that what got you guys into the mess you are in now? Keep it up though becaus learning is hard and actually changing your province for the better is even harder. Have fun I the future with more of the same.

Taxation in Canada: NS the highest

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/25/nova-scotians-the-most-taxed-in-canada-provincial-report/

I take back the inflation comment, it was the lowest in the region. My error. It was still higher than the average of Canada at 2.7% vs. Canada 2.5%.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/64159-ns-inflation-rate-increase-adds-nsps-woes

And yet, as I showed in another thread, NS has one of the lowest spending rates amongst the provinces. Taxation doesn't make somewhere the most expensive place to live, either.

Taxation in Canada: NS the highest

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/25/nova-scotians-the-most-taxed-in-canada-provincial-report/

I take back the inflation comment, it was the lowest in the region. My error. It was still higher than the average of Canada at 2.7% vs. Canada 2.5%.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/64159-ns-inflation-rate-increase-adds-nsps-woes

Yah to bad Quebec is the highest taxation in Canada no matter how you measure it.

Again you are eating what the opposition parties are saying. Why does NS Hagee a high tax rate but can't afford anything? Could it be because one out of every 9 dollars goes servicing the debt? A problem caused by very poor judgement in the past by the oppositions parties? What do you want more debt? I really have no clue what your problem is because everything you posted have been the problems NS had before Dexter and until you address the problems like Dexter is it will be a problem after him.

Edited by punked

No it wasn't. It was either a lie, or gross ignorance. High taxes do contribute to high living expenses. That's a fact. But you've abandoned facts a long time ago. I think it was the time you jumped on the Obama bandwagon.

None of that has anything to with NS which has one of the lowest costs of living in Canada despite having the 3rd or 4th highest tax rates I CCanada.

No it wasn't. It was either a lie, or gross ignorance. High taxes do contribute to high living expenses. That's a fact. But you've abandoned facts a long time ago. I think it was the time you jumped on the Obama bandwagon.

Are you arguing that Nova Scotia has the highest cost of living in Canada, that higher taxes have made it more expensive than say, BC? Really?

I never said once that they don't contribute, I said they aren't the determining factor. The only ignorance, as usual, is yours.

Edited by Smallc

Yah to bad Quebec is the highest taxation in Canada no matter how you measure it.

Again you are eating what the opposition parties are saying. Why does NS Hagee a high tax rate but can't afford anything? Could it be because one out of every 9 dollars goes servicing the debt? A problem caused by very poor judgement in the past by the oppositions parties? What do you want more debt? I really have no clue what your problem is because everything you posted have been the problems NS had before Dexter and until you address the problems like Dexter is it will be a problem after him.

John Hamm balanced the book in his first term, and created a law that stated you had to balance the books every year. Any surplus money went to pay down the debt. He was also the premier that used the $800 million crown share payout to pay down the provincial debt. That's how you run a province. While the fiscal mess was started with Rondey MacDonald, his predecessor, it was also within a minority government with the NDP as opposition. So there was no carte blanche for the government.

John Hamm balanced the book in his first term, and created a law that stated you had to balance the books every year. Any surplus money went to pay down the debt. He was also the premier that used the $800 million crown share payout to pay down the provincial debt. That's how you run a province. While the fiscal mess was started with Rondey MacDonald, his predecessor, it was also within a minority government with the NDP as opposition. So there was no carte blanche for the government.

John Hamm had a natural gas price of 15 dollars a unit. Dexter has one at 1 dollar a unit. He got 800 million from natural gas a year now the NS government takes in 30 million from natural gas. I will now point out thAt last year Dexter for only the 7th time in 60 years that money has been put against the debt was 30 million last year by the Dexter government. I am sorry but it seems like you are just repeated ing opposition talking points instead of learning the facts for yourself.

There are tough times all around but if you want to compare apples to apple's please go back and see where Hamm revenue came from. Natural gas which is done in NS Fraking in the US flooded the market and NS starting 2008 had a 500 million dollar hole in the budget. Who do you think the NDP are cutting education budgets? You need to get informed friend.

Edited by punked