Republican National Convention 2012 coverage

Ann Romney about to speak.

-first is to ask everyone to hope and pray for the people in the path of Hurricane Isaac.

She was usually the best part of Mitt's speeches during the primaries. I find her very likeable.

-k

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ann Romney about to speak.

She was usually the best part of Mitt's speeches during the primaries. I find her very likeable.

-k

I like her too but lately I haven't found her as effective as she was in the primaries.

This speech isn't as good as I thought it would be. A few good lines. Especially the one about him not wanting to talk about him helping others.

But a chunk of her speech was clearly targeted to women despite her saying se wasn't giving a political speech.

Also, are they really playing my girl???

Edited by j44

I like her too but lately I haven't found her as effective as she was in the primaries.

This speech isn't as good as I thought it would be. A few good lines. Especially the one about him not wanting to talk about him helping others.

But a chunk of her speech was clearly targeted to women despite her saying se wasn't giving a political speech.

Well, there's no doubt that convincing female voters that Mitt understands and will help was a big part of her task tonight.

The speech ... I think a big part of what made her popular during the primaries was that she was genuine and spontaneous and had endless enthusiasm. I don't think those qualities really translate as well into a half hour speech that probably had a lot of help from writers and strategists.

Also, are they really playing my girl???

*cringe*

-k

This guy is good.

I think it's pretty odd hearing several of the Republicans talk about "bipartisan compromise" considering how utterly inflexible the Tea Party wing has been.

-k

Well, there's no doubt that convincing female voters that Mitt understands and will help was a big part of her task tonight.

The speech ... I think a big part of what made her popular during the primaries was that she was genuine and spontaneous and had endless enthusiasm. I don't think those qualities really translate as well into a half hour speech that probably had a lot of help from writers and strategists.

True, but it was so obvious that I can't think that it will work.

I thought she was going to try to humanize. I was expecting more from her speech so I'm not even sure if that is what she was trying to do.

Lately I have noticed that Mitt's surrogates have kinda given up on trying to make him seem like a nice, in touch guy. Now, they flat out say something like 'would you rather have a nice guy who doesn't solve problems or a problem solver?'

Maybe that is why she didnt go that route..?

Edited by j44

I actually thought Erin Burnett was misty-eyed after Ann's speech. (edit: she said she did. :) )

Condoleeza Rice was shown on TV during Ann's speech, and just mentioned as well. Has she spoken or is she expected to?

-k

Edited by kimmy

I actually thought Erin Burnett was misty-eyed after Ann's speech. (edit: she said she did. :) )

Condoleeza Rice was shown on TV during Ann's speech, and just mentioned as well. Has she spoken or is she expected to?

-k

They showed Rice a few times but I don't know if she is speaking. I think I'd be surprised if she did. And i would think that if she was going to speak it would have been tonight.

I'll tell you guys what my favorite moments of the Republican Convention have been. It wasn't when a Republican delegate threw peanuts at a CNN African American camera women saying that "you got to feed the animals." That is just horrible.

I enjoyed when the Puerto Rican party functionary—Zoraida Fonalledas took the stage and the crowd BOOed her and started Chanting "USA USA" why did they do this? Well because she was from Puerto Rico of course.

The chanting carried on for nearly a minute while most of the other delegates and the media stood by in stunned silence. The Puerto Rican correspondent turned to me and asked, “Is this happening?” I said I honestly didn’t know what was happening—it was astonishing to see all the brittle work of narrative construction that is a modern political convention suddenly crack before our eyes.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

Edited by punked

I'll tell you guys what my favorite moments of the Republican Convention have been. It wasn't when a Republican delegate threw peanuts at a CNN African American camera women saying that "you got to feed the animals." That is just horrible.

I enjoyed when the Puerto Rican party functionary—Zoraida Fonalledas took the stage and the crowd BOOed her and started Chanting "USA USA" why did they do this? Well because she was from Puerto Rico of course.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

Thanks for turning this into another punked v. Shady thread.

It appears that the ruckus while the Puerto Rican woman was trying to speak is actually in regard to a commotion that was going on, where there was some motion to disqualify Maine's Ron Paul delegates. Texas delegates began changing "Seat Maine now!" and other delegates attempted to drown them out by chanting "USA! USA!"

It could be that the poor woman on stage was just there at a really unfortunate time...

-k

This guy is good.

I think it's pretty odd hearing several of the Republicans talk about "bipartisan compromise" considering how utterly inflexible the Tea Party wing has been.

-k

True. Although the Tea Party win of the house Republicans is still a small minority.

It appears that the ruckus while the Puerto Rican woman was trying to speak is actually in regard to a commotion that was going on, where there was some motion to disqualify Maine's Ron Paul delegates. Texas delegates began changing "Seat Maine now!" and other delegates attempted to drown them out by chanting "USA! USA!"

It could be that the poor woman on stage was just there at a really unfortunate time...

-k

Republicans are their own worst enemy.

-k

Yah I heard later on it was about the Republican party refusing to seat Maine's Elected Delegates (no surprise there when have proper elections ever been a republican thing) and them kicking out 7 Veterans who were Ron Paul supporters from Maine who were chosen by the republicans of their state. Don't really see how that is any better.

Apparently MSNBC was classy as usual. They didn't air any speech by a minority speaker last night.

They didn't air a lot of things last night. You might not know this because fox isn't covering it but there is a Hurricane hitting the Gulf coast and in some parts of NOLA the levees have been topped. It is kinda big news, much better then the republicans telling everyone how much Obama sucks. We already know what they are going to say, there is real news out there.

They didn't air a lot of things last night. You might not know this because fox isn't covering it but there is a Hurricane hitting the Gulf coast and in some parts of NOLA the levees have been topped. It is kinda big news, much better then the republicans telling everyone how much Obama sucks. We already know what they are going to say, there is real news out there.

No, they actually went to commercial 3 times for 3 different minority speakers, and for the other one they broadcasted the panel speaking over the speaker. Nice try though, trying to cover for them.

No, they actually went to commercial 3 times for 3 different minority speakers, and for the other one they broadcasted the panel speaking over the speaker. Nice try though, trying to cover for them.

LOL which speakers Shady? Oh btw I watched the ABC coverage, they didn't cover any speakers till Anne Romney btw just so you know it was all panels. Know why? Because those speeches are boring and people turn the channel. Its all about ratings. Who did fox cover? CNN? I know who ABC covered cause I watched them. Seems you are just being Shady again.

Seems like such a small thing to cry about. Flip to another news network?? You have options. Or go online after and watch it??

Edited by GostHacked