Syrian Civil War

Gosh! Why didnt they go and get their protective nerve agent suits out of the closet before they launched that thing! :P

Indeed. Since it would be impossible to a 'basement job' without exposing one's self to sarin, how did they get sarin into a propane tank without exposing themselves?

Meanwhile...I imagine you've seen the video that goes along with that photo. It went kaboom upon landing.

I dont know anything about your politics. And the image I posted was not a response to you, nor was it addressed to you. And havent followed your contribution to this debate closely enough to know if you support the scumbag dictator or Obama's Islamic, christian beheading, alqeada affiliated, freedom fighters.

I don't support either. Why? Who do YOU support?

Perhaps it not totally incorrect to agree with some assessments that were there a Republican President in the white house Assad would be history by now.

I dunno, both the republican and democrat parties have a long tradition of tolerating or even sponsoring semi-secular dictators like Assad, Hussien, Mubarak, etc

The US wants someone they can make a deal with. When Hussein was that guy it didnt matter how he treated his own people.

Edited by dre

I dunno, both the republican and democrat parties have a long tradition of tolerating or even sponsoring semi-secular dictators like Assad, Hussien, Mubarak, etc

The US wants someone they can make a deal with. When Hussein was that guy it didnt matter how he treated his own people.

Bin Laden was also their guy for short period while fighting off the Soviets.

one should also take into consideration what other partners in the region want, like: saudi, qatar and israel. they all have some influence over the decision making.

saudi and qatar see any shia controlled country as an enemy. they also purchase a lot of weapons from the u.s. and allow u.s. bases on their land. so u.s. has to listen to their needs.

of course, you have the war addicts who control israel. bibi and his party and the rest of the extremist rightwing zionist parties want a war with iran. before going to iran, assad needs to be removed. israel has unleashed AIPAC to work over the u.s. lawmakers. every single one of the lawmakers who receive campaign funding from AIPAC will vote for the war.

the GOP is torn between the racist hatred of obama, AIPAC who pays millions to many of their campaigns and the eternal love of bombing the middle east. it's a tough call for them. oh yeah, and majority of american people don't really want to go in, but what they want usually takes a backseat to the other things.

we'll see what happens.

Guest American Woman

oh yeah, and majority of american people don't really want to go in, but what they want usually takes a backseat to the other things.

Examples, please. Or is that just an empty claim?

Examples, please. Or is that just an empty claim?

since you said please. oh and i don't do empty claims. i'm not rue, argus, shady or sharkman.

CNN poll: Public against Syria strike resolution

AP poll: Most Americans oppose strike on Syria

Poll: Majority Of Americans Approve Of Sending Congress To Syria

Edited by bud

Guest American Woman

I should have been more clear as I'm well aware of the polls regarding Syria. What I was asking for was some examples to support this claim: "what they want usually takes a backseat to the other things."

So, since you don't do empty claims, I'm confident your examples willl be forthcoming. :)

I should have been more clear as I'm well aware of the polls regarding Syria. What I was asking for was some examples to support this claim: "what they want usually takes a backseat to the other things."

So, since you don't do empty claims, I'm confident your examples willl be forthcoming. :)

why don't you know the answer to that?

look at the approval rating of congress. that will give you a clue.

Guest American Woman

why don't you know the answer to that?

look at the approval rating of congress. that will give you a clue.

You're the one who made the claim, so no, I don't know the answer to that. Fact is, I think it's an "empty claim," and your lack of so much as one example confirms it.

You're the one who made the claim, so no, I don't know the answer to that. Fact is, I think it's an "empty claim," and your lack of so much as one example confirms it.

okay. here, learn: does congress do what the american people want? no.

evidence:

Congress' Approval Rating Remains Near Historical Lows

Guest American Woman

okay. here, learn: does congress do what the american people want? no.

evidence:

Congress' Approval Rating Remains Near Historical Lows

Again.Not what I asked for at all. Doesn't prove your claim at all. I want specifics, comparable to Obama not doing what Americans want regarding Syria, since that's the kind of claim you made. Furthermore, an approval rating pertaining to this specific timeframe isn't even relevant to your all encompassing claim.

I want specifics, comparable to Obama not doing what Americans want regarding Syria, since that's the kind of claim you made. Furthermore, an approval rating pertaining to this specific timeframe isn't even relevant to your all encompassing claim.

what are you on about now?

i said congress doesn't give the americans what they want and it's proven through the approval rating. you're being all weird and incoherent again.

HRW is now saying that it is more than likely that the syrian government forces were behind the attacks in late august. personally, i find them to be more credible than any governmental organization. here is a detailed explanation with analysis and evidence.

as topaz mentioned earlier, russia will be pushing syria to place its chemical weapons under government control. with the lack of support from congress and the international pressure on obama, it's unlikely that an attack will take place on assad. this is bad news for the BFF's: israel, saudi and qatar, who wanted an attack and removal of assad, which would have been a lead into an attack on iran, the BFF's major regional foe.

HRW is now saying that it is more than likely that the syrian government forces were behind the attacks in late august. personally, i find them to be more credible than any governmental organization. here is a detailed explanation with analysis and evidence.

as topaz mentioned earlier, russia will be pushing syria to place its chemical weapons under government control. with the lack of support from congress and the international pressure on obama, it's unlikely that an attack will take place on assad. this is bad news for the BFF's: israel, saudi and qatar, who wanted an attack and removal of assad, which would have been a lead into an attack on iran, the BFF's major regional foe.

Actually, Russia is presently brokering some kind of peace plan where Syria is apparently willing to put their chemical weapons under international control. I don't know if this plan is for real or just political maneuvering, but either way the possibility alone has probably sunk any remaining chance of congress approving missile strikes.

Also, this assertion of yours that several nations, including Israel, want Assad removed sounds dubious. Got any links that aren't blogs full of opining editorials?

Edited by sharkman

Actually, Russia is presently brokering some kind of peace plan where Syria is apparently willing to put their chemical weapons under international control. I don't know if this plan is for real or just political maneuvering, but either way the possibility alone has probably sunk any remaining chance of congress approving missile strikes.

Also, this assertion of yours that several nations, including Israel, want Assad removed sounds dubious. Got any links that aren't blogs full of opining editorials?

Putin pulled a Gettysburg Address on American intervention. Clever. Now Assad just has to present a few tokens of this CW hand-over for the cameras to snap. That will satisfy most of the hand-wringing while ultimately doing nothing to prevent Syria from producing more chemical weapons if need be.

Putin pulled a Gettysburg Address on American intervention. Clever. Now Assad just has to present a few tokens of this CW hand-over for the cameras to snap. That will satisfy most of the hand-wringing while ultimately doing nothing to prevent Syria from producing more chemical weapons if need be.

Syria could also ask those UK companies for more of the chemicals. Any blowback for the UK corps that sold the stuff to Syria knowing the UK government approved the sales?

Syria could also ask those UK companies for more of the chemicals. Any blowback for the UK corps that sold the stuff to Syria knowing the UK government approved the sales?

What chemicals did UK companies sell Syria which can only be used to make weapons?

Obama has asked Syria to give up its chemcials weapons and Syria and Russia are talking about it. I wonder if this will turn into, I'll give up mine, IF YOU will give up yours?

Ye Topaz/ For sure this offer will suddenly have more conditions attached to it as the days unfold. In my opinion this latest offer by Assad is a meaningless stall tactic that will break down with soon to be impossible conditions attached to it.

Consider the source. You have two cold blooded manipulative psychopaths Putin and Assad who could care less what anyone thinks of them both with histories of having no qualms killing their enemies brutally en masse laughing at Mr. I Wanna Be Loved By Everyone Obama. What they suddenly offerto give up the very chemicals Assad just days ago denied existed?

Uh hello.

I repeat again did Assad not say the other side had chemicals and now suddenly he would have the world believe he would dismantle his unilaterally? Right.

Give me a phacking break.

Hussein used this tactic, so did Nasser of Egypt, Iran today with their nuclear inspections, Stalin, Hitler, on and on.

This hide and seek, come here go way, look what I have a carrot for you tactic is as old as my prostate and the only question is how many times do you jerk off the world before it takes a stand.

Well in Hitler's case just like we have now with Assad, the majority of the US did not want to go to war with him and we had the British saying they achieved peace in their time with Adolph.

How could anyone in their right man believe a thing Assad says?

How does anyone think they can negotiate in good faith with a psychopath?

Herein lies my contempt for people who think you sit and talk with Assad or Putin.

They are psychopaths. Notions of sitting and discussing things in good faith are a joke to them. They see such notions as weakness to be exploited and laughed at.

They are laughing at the US-taunting it with false offers knowing Obama is boxed in a corner trying not to look like a war monger.

The first rule of thumb is if you are going to engage in a military action, YOU DO NOT DISCUSS ITS MERITS WITH THE PUBLIC FIRST!

That is the most basic of military rules.

A military action is a last resort move when its clear there are no other options. You

don't then go back to your Aunt Matilda and say, Auntie I can't show you what I know but I want you to agree with me.

What nonsense. Leadership sometimes calls for being decisive and that means being wiling to be unpopular.

This is not a popularity contest. If it was no one would have chosen war with Hitler.

Mao Tse Tung murdered 20 million Chinese people he perceived as political opponents. The world remained silent. There have been so many of these slaughters and they continue because there is no fear of repercussion.

Do you think a rapist will stop raping if you sit down with them and negotiate?

Give me a break.

Edited by Rue

What chemicals did UK companies sell Syria which can only be used to make weapons?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415081/Britain-sent-poison-chemicals-Assad-Proof-UK-delivered-Sarin-agent-Syrian-regime.html

British companies sold chemicals to Syria that could have been used to produce the deadly nerve agent that killed 1,400 people, The Mail on Sunday can reveal today.

Between July 2004 and May 2010 the Government issued five export licences to two companies, allowing them to sell Syria sodium fluoride, which is used to make sarin.

The Government last night admitted for the first time that the chemical was delivered to Syria – a clear breach of international protocol on the trade of dangerous substances that has been condemned as ‘grossly irresponsible’.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

methylphosphonyl difluoride with isopropyl alcohol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphosphonyl_difluoride

Methylphosphonyl difluoride can be prepared by reacting methylphosphonyl dichloride with hydrogen fluoride (HF) or sodium fluoride (NaF).

Sodium Fluoride would be classified as a dual purpose chemical. This is how Iraq was able to acquire their chemical stockpiles.