Colorado Shooting during the Dark Knight Rises

Guest Derek L

Where did the firearms come from? Closing down all otherwise legal avenues of gun procurement also removes those avenues from criminals who might steal them or coerce their way into possessing them. Less legal guns means less guns that can become illegal.

The RCMP say over 70% smuggled into the country………..So ban private ownership to prevent the possibility of the gun being stolen? I’ve got a better idea, why not just ban stealing?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

I see this thread has degenerated into an overcompensating mockery of the people who were shot. It doesn't surprise me, really.

How about a little context.......... :rolleyes:

Guest Derek L

The war of 1812 was not about slavery. Slavery was abolished in the British Empire without force. Force was used to try and prevent it on a world basis. And you are right, the Royal Navy was involved, the military, not a bunch of citizens in private yachts packing heat.

Hey, who’s calling for private citizens to enforce the law?

Perhaps some people cannot afford a sitter, but want entertainment. Gone are the days, back in 1971, when I got $1 per hour for sitting. Now it's around $15 per hour. Some services have a minimum of four (4) hours. That's a cool $60 extra.

If you can afford the high prices of the movie plus snacks, you can afford to get a babysitter. Or get a friend/family member to look after the child.

But all this talk about gun control and yet ignoring the gun running fiasco that is Fast and Furious. Guns run to Mexico are making their way back across the border to gangs in the USA. So worried about one guy who seemed to buy his guns legit (which some will call for MORE gun control).

But this shooting is a nice distraction from Holder's grilling on that matter.

Edited by GostHacked

The RCMP say over 70% smuggled into the country………..So ban private ownership to prevent the possibility of the gun being stolen? I’ve got a better idea, why not just ban stealing?

Who said "ban all guns"?

From a Canadian viewpoint, I think there need to be stricter controls to attempt to prevent something like this from happening... the stricter controls should be on the person especially. A valid reason to purchase a firearm (self defense is not a valid reason). Psychological assessment every 5 years if you plan to have a firearm. Mandatory training.

The border "guards" should not be used as petty tax collectors but should actually guard the border! We have a very serious issue with guns coming across the border. Harper is axing Border Services employees. How will that help?

Guest Derek L

People who maintain more people should be armed.

You’re blurring the lines…………..Being legally armed doesn’t translate into said person being a LEO………Nobodies calling for Death Wish

There are Baby Sitting services? What happened to the days of hiring local teenagers? :unsure:

If you can't find one in a timely manner or if you expect to be out later than the parent of a typical teenager would want their son or daughter home, you call one. We used to use one for about 1/3 of our outings a local teenagers, or grandparents, for the rest.

Guest Derek L

Who said "ban all guns"?

The Premier called for all Handguns………And when someone is shot after said ban, bolt action hunting rifles will be called “sniper rifles” and they will be after the rest……..

From a Canadian viewpoint, I think there need to be stricter controls to attempt to prevent something like this from happening... the stricter controls should be on the person especially. A valid reason to purchase a firearm (self defense is not a valid reason). Psychological assessment every 5 years if you plan to have a firearm. Mandatory training.

And I suppose you’ll include all those illegal gun owners into said program right?

The Premier called for all Handguns………And when someone is shot after said ban, bolt action hunting rifles will be called “sniper rifles” and they will be after the rest……..

I don't mind that idea. The only reason for a handgun is to shoot targets or people. Public safety should trump target shooting.

And I suppose you’ll include all those illegal gun owners into said program right?

Nope, just us law-abiding ones. Once we get rid of the prohibition on drugs, perhaps the billions of extra dollars could go into stopping the flow of guns across the border and other gun-related criminal activity...

Guest Derek L

I don't mind that idea. The only reason for a handgun is to shoot targets or people. Public safety should trump target shooting.

But legal handgun owners aren’t shooting up public housing and food courts….

Nope, just us law-abiding ones. Once we get rid of the prohibition on drugs, perhaps the billions of extra dollars could go into stopping the flow of guns across the border and other gun-related criminal activity...

So you want to change one prohibition for another? :lol:

But legal handgun owners aren’t shooting up public housing and food courts….

Call it a preventive measure.

So you want to change one prohibition for another? :lol:

Guns are not the same as drugs. Try and be a little more nuanced about the subject.

If we legalize marijuana, we do not need to legalize hand grenades. Your argument lacks common sense.

Call it a preventive measure.

Guns are not the same as drugs. Try and be a little more nuanced about the subject.

If we legalize marijuana, we do not need to legalize hand grenades. Your argument lacks common sense.

Who's talking about legalizing hand grenades?

If you can afford the high prices of the movie plus snacks, you can afford to get a babysitter. Or get a friend/family member to look after the child.

It's a PG-13 movie and it's summer holidays. Lots of kids have seen PG-13 movies, and staying up late in July is no big deal.

But maybe you should join the Westboro Baptist Church and picket outside the mother's hospital, just to satisfy your urge to denigrate the victims.

Apparently, if we lift drug prohibition we cannot prohibit anything else. My example was to show how absurd that notion is.

Who is maintaining that other than you? Do you think all drugs should be legalized? Crack cocaine, chystal meth etc? Do you think all drugs should be available without a prescription?

Who is maintaining that other than you? Do you think all drugs should be legalized? Crack cocaine, chystal meth etc? Do you think all drugs should be available without a prescription?

That's my question. And how can you justify regulations for alcohol and tobacco if you're going to legalize meth?

DerekL

Yes, all drugs. restricted. Not illegal. Free even, if it is cheaper to supply them rather than enforce drug use, petty crimes, AIDS treatment and all the other things we pay for as taxpayers that turn out to be more expensive than simply letting addicts be addicts until they can get sober.

And how can you justify regulations for alcohol and tobacco if you're going to legalize meth?

Regulated, yes. Illegal, no.

Edited by The_Squid

DerekL

Yes, all drugs. restricted. Not illegal. Free even, if it is cheaper to supply them rather than enforce drug use, petty crimes, AIDS treatment and all the other things we pay for as taxpayers that turn out to be more expensive than simply letting addicts be addicts until they can get sober.

So we'll have a HCBO? I wonder The Heroine Control Board of Ontario will be a Union gig. It'll create more jobs I guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by Boges

So we'll have a HCBO? I wonder The Heroine Control Board of Ontario will be a Union gig. It'll create more jobs I guess.

Good idea.

We can staff it with social workers and public health professionals and treat drug use as a medical issue rather than an enforcement issue.

It would save us billions of dollars in taxpayer money as well as the social cost. Broken windows, shops robbed, etc, etc. Most of that would disappear.

Did you run out of arguments? Is that why you put in the cute little rolleyes emoticon? Resort to mockery rather than argument?

Edited by The_Squid

DerekL

Guns are restricted, not illegal, so what's your problem?

Good idea.

We can staff it with social workers and public health professionals and treat drug use as a medical issue rather than an enforcement issue.

It would save us billions of dollars in taxpayer money as well as the social cost. Broken windows, shops robbed, etc, etc. Most of that would disappear.

Did you run out of arguments? Is that why you put in the cute little rolleyes emoticon? Resort to mockery rather than argument?

It's a pretty extreme opinion to remove criminal laws attached to illicit drugs. I don't seeing this happening in Canada ever.

Have any developed nations in the world tried it? You can "hypothetically" imagine a scenario where the situation would work but is there any evidence that it does?

Edited by Boges

...However, if the object is to make it necessary for everyone to leave their home armed simply because everyone else is, that doesn't fit my definition of being "more free".

The object is for everyone to exercise their constitutional rights if they choose to do so. If that upsets your sensibilities and definition of being "more free", then don't visit the USA. Nobody forces you to do so.