Colorado Shooting during the Dark Knight Rises

Not sure where to put this thread but had a few questions for our American residents:

What type of gun regulations does Colorado have?

I mean, why did this guy manage to injure 71 people in all, with 12 fatalities?

Would not someone else have had a gun to take him down?

Or is real life a little too much like this video: I hate Glocks?

I'm not being cheeky here - I am actually curious as to why creeps like this seem to manage to be at the right place at the right time (from the creep's POV).

Edited by msj

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to put this thread but had a few questions for our American residents:

I mean, why did this guy manage to shoot 71 people in all, with 12 fatalities?

Or is real life a little too much like this video: I hate Glocks?

I'm not being cheeky here - I am actually curious as to why creeps like this seem to manage to be at the right place at the right time (from the creep's POV).

Not much differences from the same nut bar who went off at eatons centre in T.O. You can't defend against nut bars. If they want to kill someone bad enough, they'll do it.

Civilized people don't pack heat in public who'd have thunk it.

Edited by blueblood

Not much differences from the same nut bar who went off at eatons centre in T.O. You can't defend against nut bars. If they want to kill someone bad enough, they'll do it.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/surveillance-vid-shows-71-year-old-concealed-carry-holder-opening-fire-on-would-be-robbers/

Civilized people DO carry concealed. And this is part of the reason why.

Samuel Williams could soon become a poster child for concealed carry. Or rather a poster senior citizen.

Williams is being hailed as a hero this week after he sprung into action on Friday to thwart an armed robbery at an internet cafe. Williams was present when two masked thugs walked into the Palms Internet Cafe in Marion County, Florida. One of the men was brandishing a gun while the other had a bat. They started ordering patrons around and one smashes a computer screen. That’s when Williams took action.

I'm sure they will be looking into were he bought the guns. Where does one buy armour though, same place? Some politicians are calling for a debate for banning guns in the US,good luck with that one and the politicians that suggested that better get more security around them, after all this is America. Another point, why would this guy booby-trap his apartment, then tell the police he did before they went in?

Guest American Woman

...why would this guy booby-trap his apartment, then tell the police he did before they went in?

He wasn't playing with a full deck. He thought he was the Joker. Perhaps he enjoyed the thrill of seeing whether or not they could un-booby-trap his apartment.

Edited by American Woman

Actually, you are only partially right. It's true you can't defend against a nutbar opening fire. However, if people around are carrying weapons of their own they have a good chance of limiting the number of people hit and/or killed. Someone there might shoot the nutbar and stop the carnage. The alternative (the Canadian way?) is to allow him to fire away at will until the police are notified and have time to respond.

Obviously, that extra time can mean a lot more people dead or wounded.

Realistically, there is no other way to describe such situations. One can argue about whether or not you prefer to ban citizens from carrying their own protection but you can't possibly make the claim that the police would be better able to limit the carnage! Some argue that allowing citizens to carry guns for protection would result in indiscriminate shootings all day long at every street corner where someone might panic for no good reason. This is essentially saying that the majority of citizens are idiots. Actually, I could easily be persuaded that such a thing is true!

I mean, why did this guy manage to injure 71 people in all, with 12 fatalities?

What are you, the NRA?

Yeah, if everyone carried guns there'd be damned few incidents like this. Instead there'd be a whole pile of incidents where some fat boy drops his gun and shoots a little girl walking by, or some nitwit in a heated argument over a fender bender, or an overdone hamburger or a girl shoots the other. You'd wind up with several times more deaths.

It isn't the presence of guns anyway. Guns have always been present. It's a strange sort of reality where people don't even see other people as humans. They see them as targets as in video games. It's a divorce from reality type of thing which didn't used to happen before the last fifty years or so.

My understanding is this guy was wearing armour, so no one could shoot him and then having tear gas or smoke bomb, how could anyone defend themselves. Now, with sources calling for banning of hand guns who will win, the gun owners or people who want gun control. It will probably now be included in the election in November.

....Now, with sources calling for banning of hand guns who will win, the gun owners or people who want gun control. It will probably now be included in the election in November.

Nope...there will be no gun-registry-handgun-ban-over-reaction as in some other places! ;)

Violent crime is at a 39 year low in the U.S.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now

Actually, you are only partially right. It's true you can't defend against a nutbar opening fire. However, if people around are carrying weapons of their own they have a good chance of limiting the number of people hit and/or killed. Someone there might shoot the nutbar and stop the carnage. The alternative (the Canadian way?) is to allow him to fire away at will until the police are notified and have time to respond.

Nice theory but in fact that almost never happens in these mass murder situations in the US. The right to carry in Arizona did nothing to help Gabrielle Giffords and the seventeen others who were shot.

Nice theory but in fact that almost never happens in these mass murder situations in the US. The right to carry in Arizona did nothing to help Gabrielle Giffords and the seventeen others who were shot.

the San Ysidro MacDonalds slaughter, Virgina Tech, Columbine, Giffords, reagan/brady/delahunty, dark knight, and all those rootin tootin gun slingers in the US and no citizen took out the shooters...yup obvious proof packin heat saves lives... B)

Guest American Woman

the San Ysidro MacDonalds slaughter, Virgina Tech, Columbine, Giffords, reagan/brady/delahunty, dark knight, and all those rootin tootin gun slingers in the US and no citizen took out the shooters...yup obvious proof packin heat saves lives... B)

So were any "rootin tootin gun sling[ers]" actually "packin heat" at any of those places? - And do you realize that it's not always legal to be "packin heat?"

“On Wednesday, October 16, 1991, Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen. She had left her handgun in her car to comply with Texas state law at the time which forbade carrying a concealed weapon. When George Hennard drove his truck into the cafeteria and opened fire on the patrons, Hupp instinctively reached into her purse for her weapon, but it was in her vehicle."

She states if she had another chance, she would have violated the law – carried her gun in her purse – and shot the mad man before he has a chance to shoot her parents and 21 other people.

FYI: From the Virginia Tech murders, to the 1991 Luby's Cafeteria massacre in Texas which left 23 people dead, to the shootings at the California McDonald's in 1984 where 21 people were killed, all these attacks shared something in common: citizens were already banned from having guns in those areas. link

I think it's safe to add that the students at Columbine were banned from having guns in school, too. <_<

Edited by American Woman