Romney Derangement Syndrome

Guest American Woman

There are certain jobs that should require 100% loyalty in the sense that we know they have the best interest for the country, but also and this might sound stupid but some people(me included) would prefer knowing that the potential leader of the country will have to live with the consequences of any bad decisions rather than screw the country and and have a way out while the majority of the citizens don't have one and would be stuck with his/her bad decisions.

I happen to support the requirement that the POTUS be an natural born citizen, so I understand what you are saying. I'm just pointing out that in light of the requirement in the U.S. and the extenuating circumstances re: Obama's birth, I can understand how this initially became a political issue - and I really don't see it as any more bizarre than all of the other bizarre things that go on during elections on both sides of the border. Furthermore, in light of the fact that a PM doesn't even have to have been born in Canada, it seems just as bizarre to me for Canadian politicians to question a candidate's loyalty based on the birth country of one's parent - which, really, is quite comparable to Obama having a parent born outside the country, and the ensuing accusations.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Manny

So out of curiosity, do you agree with what Layton had said?

Well what Layton was talking about is quite different than what the Obama birthers were saying. They were saying that Barak Obama is not eligible under current law to be the POTUS. Whether loyal or not, competent or not etc. while Layton raises his own personal concerns about loyalty. His suggestion would require a change in law.

Do I agree with him? Maybe. But not sure, I'd need to look into it more and answer some questions for myself before I really decided.

On the one hand, loyalty could be a problem. But then these people who run for high level office are carefully vetted and come under intense scrutiny. Procedures, checks are in place to expose spies. Parliamentary procedures are in place to ensure that someone in power cannot invoke dictatorship, betray Canada, etc.

.... Furthermore, in light of the fact that a PM doesn't even have to have been born in Canada, it seems just as bizarre to me for Canadian politicians to question a candidate's loyalty based on the birth country of one's parent - which, really, is quite comparable to Obama having a parent born outside the country, and the ensuing accusations.

Agreed...as the qualification(s) to become Prime Minister of Canada are nearly nonexistent, being limited in practical terms only to persons over 18 years of age.

Guest Manny

it seems just as bizarre to me for Canadian politicians to question a candidate's loyalty based on the birth country of one's parent - which, really, is quite comparable to Obama having a parent born outside the country, and the ensuing accusations.

One mouthy politician looking to score tabloid points does not necessarily represent the views of Canadians. And the same can be said about those who go on and on about president Obama's place of birth.

Problem does occur when they use the media to "whip up" emotions in the public by bombarding us with nonsense. They try to take advantage of the fact that many people are gullible. They use money to promote garbage information and distractions, to purposely bring about the "Derangement Syndrome".

Guest Manny

Agreed...as the qualification(s) to become Prime Minister of Canada are nearly nonexistent, being limited in practical terms only to persons over 18 years of age.

It's not too bizarre if one looks back to the history of the British Commonwealth.

Guest American Woman

Well what Layton was talking about is quite different than what the Obama birthers were saying. They were saying that Barak Obama is not eligible under current law to be the POTUS.

What's ultimately the difference between questioning the legality of one's eligibility - and questioning one's loyalty as a qualification - especially since the candidate can legally be PM in the second scenario? Seems to me it's more legitimate to question the legality of a candidate's eligibility than it is to question their loyalty based on the birth of a parent when that doesn't affect the candidate's eligibility.

Do I agree with him? Maybe. But not sure, I'd need to look into it more and answer some questions for myself before I really decided.

On the one hand, loyalty could be a problem. But then these people who run for high level office are carefully vetted and come under intense scrutiny. Procedures, checks are in place to expose spies. Parliamentary procedures are in place to ensure that someone in power cannot invoke dictatorship, betray Canada, etc.

Yet Dion's loyalty was questioned - and not just by Layton. Furthemore, he wasn't the only one whose loyalty was questioned because of dual citizenship - and Layton's wasn't the only party to raise such issues.

In other words, bizarre, yes - but politics as usual - on both sides of the border. One needn't look south - one can also look north for such bizarre election behavior.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

One mouthy politician looking to score tabloid points does not necessarily represent the views of Canadians.

As I pointed out in my previous post, there wasn't just "one mouthy politician" questioning Dion's loyalty - and Dion wasn't the only one to have his loyalty questioned because of dual citizenship. Furthermore, no politician represents the views of all Canadians - or Americans.

And the same can be said about those who go on and on about president Obama's place of birth.

And it was said - which is what I was responding to.

Problem does occur when they use the media to "whip up" emotions in the public by bombarding us with nonsense. They try to take advantage of the fact that many people are gullible. They use money to promote garbage information and distractions, to purposely bring about the "Derangement Syndrome".

There is no "derangement syndrome." The same behavior exists on all sides, regarding all politicians. It's the responses to the "derangement" comments that keep such mindless accusations going ad naseum - which is why I've previously refrained to responding to that 'issue;' so it's more than the media, it's people responding when such emotion is "whipped up" rather than ignoring it. There's a lot that goes on in elections that would be better ignored - and again, that goes for both sides of the border.

I happen to support the requirement that the POTUS be an natural born citizen, so I understand what you are saying. I'm just pointing out that in light of the requirement in the U.S. and the extenuating circumstances re: Obama's birth, I can understand how this initially became a political issue - and I really don't see it as any more bizarre than all of the other bizarre things that go on during elections on both sides of the border.

I don't think that it was bizarre to ask if there were discrepancies in the past of the president, personally I suspect that someone at some point in the president's career had checked if he was intact born in the US but the people have a right to ask and receive an answer, where I feel it became weird was after the proof was presented and it became a dead issue people still tried to bring it up.

Furthermore, in light of the fact that a PM doesn't even have to have been born in Canada, it seems just as bizarre to me for Canadian politicians to question a candidate's loyalty based on the birth country of one's parent - which, really, is quite comparable to Obama having a parent born outside the country, and the ensuing accusations.

I think for certain jobs there should be a requirement for complete loyalty even if it is just as simple as giving up a dual citizenship, to me this should apply to senior government officials elected and otherwise, as well as senior LEO's and Military officers.

That's because the Prime Minister holds a different position than POTUS in a completely different political system. Why would the qualifications be the same? They're different jobs.

There's an interesting article from the Ottawa Citizen that you and others may be interested in reading about why there will never be a Prime Ministers Club. It lays out the primary differences between PMs and POTUSes. If you're actually interested in discussion, you'll see why the qualifications for PM are not the same.

.....In other words, bizarre, yes - but politics as usual - on both sides of the border. One needn't look south - one can also look north for such bizarre election behavior.

Right, except that Americans don't usually look north for any such thing, not caring in the least who's mama was French. Gazing south is what some neighbours were just born to do! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That's because the Prime Minister holds a different position than POTUS in a completely different political system. Why would the qualifications be the same? They're different jobs.

Nobody said that requirements would be the same except you. I proposed that there exist no PM requirements at all, save for maybe age, and even that is in doubt.

How "bizarre" then that somebody dare discuss citizenship or nationality "north of the border". Don't they understand that it is a completely different job, easily mastered by an 18 year old?

Guest American Woman

Right, except that Americans don't usually look north for any such thing, not caring in the least who's mama was French. Gazing south is what some neighbours were just born to do! ;)

I guess I should have said that there's no need to look south - one need only look in their own backyard.

Don't get angry at me because that is the requirement for PM of Canada, or lack thereof. But please be sure to argue about their mother's citizenship.

Get angry at you? Argue about their mother's citizenship? I'm doing neither. Just pointing out your lame attempt at trolling.

You guys are ruining the Romney Derangement Syndrome. Although the American Derangement Syndrome, and Canadian pseudo-superiority complex illustrated by some of the usual suspects of the forum is pretty entertaining and enlightening as well. :)

You guys are ruining the Romney Derangement Syndrome. Although the American Derangement Syndrome, and Canadian pseudo-superiority complex illustrated by some of the usual suspects of the forum is pretty entertaining and enlightening as well. :)

I know....and it is grand fun. They just couldn't leave well enough alone.....

Some pretty weird and discriminatory stuff.

(...)

And you just know that they didn't apologize because they were actually sorry for what they said. They just did it out of pressure from above. You can imagine what they really think of Romney, and Mormon's in general, but won't actually say out loud. Anyways, I expect this type of derangment to get worse. Of course the latest example is the original post. But it'll probably get worse as the election draws near.

Boo hoo. If a grand wizard from some weird cult wants to run for public office, he's going to have to deal with this sort of thing.

What recent presidential candidate *hasn't* faced scrutiny for his religious beliefs?

And the irony is that it's your team complaining about it, when it is your team that has insisted upon this state of affairs. By pandering to the large southern conservative base that insists that only candidates imbued with Super Jesus Power are qualified to lead the nation, the Republicans have legitimized the discussion of religious belief in this campaign. Live with that, creep.

-k

Boo hoo. If a grand wizard from some weird cult wants to run for public office, he's going to have to deal with this sort of thing.

What recent presidential candidate *hasn't* faced scrutiny for his religious beliefs?

And the irony is that it's your team complaining about it, when it is your team that has insisted upon this state of affairs. By pandering to the large southern conservative base that insists that only candidates imbued with Super Jesus Power are qualified to lead the nation, the Republicans have legitimized the discussion of religious belief in this campaign. Live with that, creep.

-k

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I think you should stick to the anti-Christian topics. It's your specialty. :)

Guest American Woman

Don't get angry at me because that is the requirement for PM of Canada, or lack thereof. But please be sure to argue about their mother's citizenship.

Evidently it's trolling to point out the requirements for becoming PM. :unsure:

The requirements to become a part of the house of commons and to run for a position such as the canadian prime minister are to being at least 18 years of age, a citizen of canada, and gaining enough political support to win an election into the house of commons.

Evidently it's trolling to point out the requirements for becoming PM. :unsure:

The requirements to become a part of the house of commons and to run for a position such as the canadian prime minister are to being at least 18 years of age, a citizen of canada, and gaining enough political support to win an election into the house of commons.

I apologize for the Canadians in this forum. They're just not very good at this stuff.