Romney Derangement Syndrome

Great column in the Washington Post today regarding Mitt Romney's speech to the NAACP.

We’re still a few weeks from summer’s dog days and the presidential conventions, and already feral rabidity has set in. Add to the long list of psycho-political syndromes the “Romney Derangement Syndrome.”...

There is simply no other way to explain what has transpired in the few days since Mitt Romney’s speech to the NAACP. If you read a headline or watched the news, most likely you’re aware that Romney was booed for saying that he would repeal Obamacare. What you may not know is that Romney also left the stage to a standing ovation.

While grudgingly giving Romney credit for showing up, commentators and politicos on the left have joined the birthers in being just plain weird. The narrative du jour is that Romney purposely used the term Obamacare to ensure that he was booed in order to . . . incite his racist white base.

Washington Post

Damn Mitt Romney for treating them like adults, and telling them some things that they might not want to hear. I guess he should of just pandered to them. Of course, then he'd be criticized for doing that. :rolleyes:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting and waiting for this thread. :)

Well, it was only a matter of time before the derangement reared its ugly head. I probably could have posted even earlier, because Romney's been attacked regarding his religion by several members of the mainstream media. However, they quickly issued apologies.

What did these deranged individuals say?

Some pretty weird and discriminatory stuff.

MSNBC host condemns Romney to Hell

WE

New York Times Columnist Apologizes For Controversial Tweet About Mitt Romney's 'Magic Underwear'

HP

Salon’s Joan Walsh Draws Controversy After Tweeting Mormon ‘Joke’

Mediaite

MSNBC pundit apologizes over comments on Mormon Church

ABC

And you just know that they didn't apologize because they were actually sorry for what they said. They just did it out of pressure from above. You can imagine what they really think of Romney, and Mormon's in general, but won't actually say out loud. Anyways, I expect this type of derangment to get worse. Of course the latest example is the original post. But it'll probably get worse as the election draws near.

Some pretty weird and discriminatory stuff.

And you just know that they didn't apologize because they were actually sorry for what they said. They just did it out of pressure from above. You can imagine what they really think of Romney, and Mormon's in general, but won't actually say out loud. Anyways, I expect this type of derangment to get worse. Of course the latest example is the original post. But it'll probably get worse as the election draws near.

Your post lacks some counter Obama derangement syndrome to balance it out.

I can't imagine what would drive someone to make a joke about someone else's religion. It's just despicable.

Imagine if someone made a joke about Islam?

Well, the thing is, they're actually "not allowed" to make jokes about Islam. Apparently.

They keep informing us that they're being forced into silence on that matter...even as they talk about it and make jokes.

They're not the sharpest tools (though tools they are) when it comes to recognizing their own contradictions.

Great column in the Washington Post today regarding Mitt Romney's speech to the NAACP.

Damn Mitt Romney for treating them like adults, and telling them some things that they might not want to hear. I guess he should of just pandered to them. Of course, then he'd be criticized for doing that. :rolleyes:

I'm supposed to take someone that majored in Spanish literature seriously as a political pundit? What was it you said in the past about liberal arts students?

Questioning French citizenship?

I think she's embarrassed about birthers and has an inferiority complex about Canada, and is therefore trying to equate birtherism with questions about Mulcair's dual citizenship.

Weird, eh? There are all kinds of people spending all hours on the internet.

Guest American Woman

Have you looked... south

I have - and I saw Toronto. :)

:

“I would prefer that a leader of a party hold only Canadian citizenship, because one represents many Canadians, and for me that means that it’s better to remain the citizen of one country,” Layton told The Canadian Press.

Yeah, yeah - it's not about birth certificates, just citizenship. So much less bizarre. ;)

Guest Manny

Yeah, yeah - it's not about birth certificates, just citizenship. So much less bizarre. ;)

It's much less bizarre because Layton does not call into question the validity of Ignatieff's citizenship. It was a comment about the validity of certain laws.

Guest American Woman

It's much less bizarre because Layton does not call into question the validity of Ignatieff's citizenship.

It called into question the validity of Dion's loyalty to Canada, simply because of his dual citizenship. Obviously there was no question of his birth certificate, as there originally was with Obama's, but basically the question was the same - can there be loyalty if the politician has citizenship other than the country they are running in. Once the issue was settled re: Obama, I think it was bizarre for birthers to carry on, but I think in light of Canada's laws, ie: politicians don't have to be born in Canada, questioning Dion's loyalty simply because his mother was born in France is really no different from questioning Obama's birth considering his dad was born in Kenya.

It was a comment about the validity of certain laws.

No it wasn't; it was a comment about loyalty - and Layton's personal preference regarding citizenship.

-----------------------------

So out of curiosity, do you agree with what Layton had said?

You're right, it is...even though you intentionally underplay the vast distinction.

One is about matters of citizenship, based on some people's opinions;

and one is about people who are objectively, factually mistaken, and plainly are ridiculous and stupid morons.

Christ, you two know this...no need to get all sensitive and patrioticky about something so trivial.

It called into question the validity of Dion's loyalty to Canada, simply because of his dual citizenship. Obviously there was no question of his birth certificate, as there originally was with Obama's, but basically the question was the same - can there be loyalty if the politician has citizenship other than the country they are running in. Once the issue was settled re: Obama, I think it was bizarre for birthers to carry on, but I think in light of Canada's laws, ie: politicians don't have to be born in Canada, questioning Dion's loyalty simply because his mother was born in France is really no different from questioning Obama's birth considering his dad was born in Kenya.

No it wasn't; it was a comment about loyalty - and Layton's personal preference regarding citizenship.

-----------------------------

So out of curiosity, do you agree with what Layton had said?

There are certain jobs that should require 100% loyalty in the sense that we know they have the best interest for the country, but also and this might sound stupid but some people(me included) would prefer knowing that the potential leader of the country will have to live with the consequences of any bad decisions rather than screw the country and and have a way out while the majority of the citizens don't have one and would be stuck with his/her bad decisions.