Conservatives simply are poor managers of the public's money

Just because I deny something is going to happen does not mean that any action I take automatically means it will have no effect on the event in question.

Then so be it, if that's the case they govern by happenstance and it was purely fools luck that got us through. Let us hope that fools luck holds true for the remainder of their term...

Here is the logic, wether they did or did not foresee the crisis, they obviously did something right to get us through it this far in such a good position, but I don't expect you to see the truth with your blinders on...

I'm now going to invoke the often used line by those who are avid supporters of Mr. Harper and the CPC. "They didn't have a choice, the opposition forced them to do it".

Edited by Dave_ON

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But given the opposition was demanding these huge incentives the fact is we were going to have them no matter what the Tories decided. If they'd stuck to their 'principals' the opposition would be the government, but we still would have had that spending. So really, they had no way of stopping it.

All that spending and much much more. A Liberal government propped up by the NDP or Vice Bersa with the Bloc licking their chops would have spent much more - and in a way that would have led to a massive structural deficit. The Unions would not have been pacified, EI would be given out rampantly, we'd have a carbon tax,Free trade initiatives would be curtailed, and the Oil Sands would be neutored. Just think where our economy would be. I'm not making this up - either they would do all of that - and more....or they've been lying all this time. Be careful what you wish for.

All that spending and much much more. A Liberal government propped up by the NDP or Vice Bersa with the Bloc licking their chops would have spent much more - and in a way that would have led to a massive structural deficit.

History doesnt back that up at all, its just partisan garbage.

The Surplus was "pissed" away to keep Canada afloat, and thanks to the Conservatives and Mr Harper we are much better then many in the western world.

This is really just silly. We are better off than many in the western world simply because we have a shitload of resources to extract and sell... Its true we have a more stable banking system, but its Prime Minister RB Bennet, and Prime Minister Mackenzie King that are responsible for that.

This is really just silly. We are better off than many in the western world simply because we have a shitload of resources to extract and sell... Its true we have a more stable banking system, but its Prime Minister RB Bennet, and Prime Minister Mackenzie King that are responsible for that.

It's not about what we have, it's about how it is managed. On top of that extracting and selling resources would in your scenario mean that most other jobs aside from extracting and sales are in a direct spinoff industry which it most definitely is not case. No matter what our situation on natural resources is or was is the government had mismanaged that portion of the economy we would know and we would be in a worse position, we have to give credit where credit is due when it comes to managing a complex economy through a Global Crisis and coming out better than many of other western nations.

Lefties lecturing about fiscal management is hilarious. You'd almost think they actually believe the goofy things they say.

Yeah I always get a good chuckle out of it... It's like they have their own made up pseudo-economics which they pieced together from wikipedia, youtube videos, and ferngully. It would be more comical if the opposition-in-waiting didn't subscribe to the same school of "economics".

It's not about what we have, it's about how it is managed. On top of that extracting and selling resources would in your scenario mean that most other jobs aside from extracting and sales are in a direct spinoff industry which it most definitely is not case. No matter what our situation on natural resources is or was is the government had mismanaged that portion of the economy we would know and we would be in a worse position, we have to give credit where credit is due when it comes to managing a complex economy through a Global Crisis and coming out better than many of other western nations.

Oh I wasnt attacking the Conservatives "management" of the economy. It was very much conventional and they did pretty much the same thing the rest of the western leaders did in response to the meltdown. Cut rates, and dump money into the banking system. They certainly didnt do anything crazy or make any gigantic mistakes in relative terms.

But people that credit governments for the overall state of the economy or blame them for it, are folks that just dont understand the economy.

On top of that extracting and selling resources would in your scenario mean that most other jobs aside from extracting and sales are in a direct spinoff industry which it most definitely is not case.

No my scenario wouldnt mean that at all, and I never said anything about "most" jobs being related to oil, gas, forestry, etc. The simple truth though is our ability to extract and sell raw resources gave us a buffer that no other western country had, especially given what happened with prices over the last decade, and that is what set us apart from other western nations. Not that our government had better economic advisors :rolleyes:

Guest Derek L

Yeah I always get a good chuckle out of it... It's like they have their own made up pseudo-economics which they pieced together from wikipedia, youtube videos, and ferngully. It would be more comical if the opposition-in-waiting didn't subscribe to the same school of "economics".

You owe me a keyboard, since I doubt I’ll get all the pop out of mine. :lol: