Civil War in Canada

Rick

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course the signs are everywhere but the war will be global and I think the reasons you've posed are more like exacerbating factors than a basis. The real underlying cause is the inherent unsustainable nature of our economy, especially as it relates to it's liquidating effect on our planet's ecosystems.

It'll be bad enough when it's everyone for themselves but encouraging governments to crack down with a moral imperative to keep producing wealth or else...look out. If there was ever a time in human history that called for a kumbiya moment we're approaching it, but fat chance of that. When the water-hole shrinks the animals will get meaner and we've got a whole shitload of pent up mean on top of everything else that's on our horizon.

All of that is complete and utter nonsense.

NO rick is right there is a movement going on right now, but it's not out west rick it's right here in the maritimes.....thats right, it's being faught right now as Ontarians, New Brunswickers and NFLDers have been digging massive trenches all along the Quebec borders hoping that one day it just sets itself adrift, those new ice breakers we are building are actually tugs and we are going to tow their asses back to france.....

• Like 1

A regional civil war in Canada? Preposterous. Now, if some province were to declare itself independent, I could imagine the federal government might take some pretty strong action to maintain authority... but I can't imagine it would turn into an actual war.

Melanie's suggestion of land claims is one way I could see Canadians taking up arms against each other. People are ordered out of their homes and they say "no. Make us." Or some native group says "this IS our land, and we are taking it". We have had clashes between armed natives and law enforcement and the military before, and will again.

I am not too concerned with the idea of some kind of organized armed confrontation between Canadians. I'm more worried about disorganized armed confrontation. Some sort of situation where people begin to believe that their survival depends on being able to take the things they need by force. Hypothetically, a major fuel shortage. The trucks that bring food and other supplies into my region aren't rolling anymore, and the shelves become depleted. How long does it take before people eat all the food in their own home and start wondering if their neighbors have any food? How hungry do they have to get before they start contemplating taking their neighbor's food by force? The police are too busy to protect everybody, and they haven't got fuel to operate their cars or helicopters. How bad are things going to get if the trucks don't start rolling again soon?

That sort of situation scares me more than some kind of organized political action.

-k

A doubt a bunker will cut it. If anything I'm starting to buy into the idea of getting mean. If you can't beat them join them...it's kind of a lemon and lemonade thing guess.

The upcoming civil war? I'd say it's pretty much on already.

I guess some frogs just naturally think the water's fine.

I'm more worried about disorganized armed confrontation. Some sort of situation where people begin to believe that their survival depends on being able to take the things they need by force.

-k

Aka bellum omnium contra omnes.

The realpolitik of the water-hole.

If the waterhole were getting smaller, we'd know it. It's not.

What happens immediately after it gets bigger is actually a better indicator of what's happening, like the instantaneous spike in oil prices the moment the economy has the whiff of a recovery about it.

At least not in a global sense... at least not in a panic-inducing way.

However, we have seen situations where in a specific place at a specific time, the waterhole becomes very small, very quickly. New Orleans after Katrina, for example. ("waterhole" seems like an extremely poor choice of words for that particular circumstance. :( )

-k

What happens immediately after it gets bigger is actually a better indicator of what's happening, like the instantaneous spike in oil prices the moment the economy has the whiff of a recovery about it.

This would imply that there's a philosophy of charging what people can afford, which in turn means that there's a lot of price flexibility too.

However, we have seen situations where in a specific place at a specific time, the waterhole becomes very small, very quickly. New Orleans after Katrina, for example. ("waterhole" seems like an extremely poor choice of words for that particular circumstance. :( )

-k

Poor choice of words, and maybe not a great analogy either.

At least not in a global sense... at least not in a panic-inducing way.

-k

We've also seen Rapa Nui and our planet's biogeography only differs in scale.

Apparently panic is not the reaction you should expect to see when boiling a frog.

Guest Derek L

Poor choice of words, and maybe not a great analogy either.

I beg to differ Michael, I think it’s a rather apt analogy (And I don’t think Kimmy meant anything by it beyond that) in that during the initial period of the disaster there very much so were documented cases of shortages, lawlessness and the inherent “Blue Flu” within the local emergency services…..

I beg to differ Michael, I think it’s a rather apt analogy (And I don’t think Kimmy meant anything by it beyond that) in that during the initial period of the disaster there very much so were documented cases of shortages, lawlessness and the inherent “Blue Flu” within the local emergency services…..

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

-k

Cities normally have something like a 2 or 3 day supply of food. Don't know about fuel. Imagine some sort of shock, like a solar storm which wipes out power generation all across the country (certain to happen say scientists). All the transformers are blown and need to be repaired or replaced. All kinds of computers, cell phones, anything with a computer chip in it, really, is blown. There's no water because the water is pumped with electricity. Gas stations can't pump gas to trucks (those working). The food is gone in a very short time.

How many people keep a month or so supply of food and water in their house in case of an emergency?

Electromagnetic Pulse

Edited by Argus

Cities normally have something like a 2 or 3 day supply of food. Don't know about fuel. Imagine some sort of shock, like a solar storm which wipes out power generation all across the country (certain to happen say scientists). All the transformers are blown and need to be repaired or replaced. All kinds of computers, cell phones, anything with a computer chip in it, really, is blown. There's no water because the water is pumped with electricity. Gas stations can't pump gas to trucks (those working). The food is gone in a very short time.

How many people keep a month or so supply of food and water in their house in case of an emergency?

Electromagnetic Pulse

Many critical control and communication systems are multiply redundant, in that if an active unit is disabled by something (such as an EMP), a backup can be brought online. The danger of damage to inactive electronics through EMP is substantially less than it is to active electronics, thus backups that were offline at the time of the storm would likely remain functional. Additionally, there are various ways to design electronic systems to be resistant to EMP to various levels. Such design approaches are increasingly common in the electronics world. Further, a CME of sufficient size and correct orientation to have a devastating effect on worldwide electronic systems is incredibly unlikely. I'd like to see the calculations the scientist did to predict that one is likely "within decades", because I don't buy that for a minute.

Guest Derek L

Electromagnetic Pulse

These are great Not only for the end of the world, but for camping as well………We generally only have about one months worth for a family of four (Plus two dogs) since they are expensive, but they do have a shelf life of 5+ years so we usually buy a weeks worth every year (less then a grand) and use the older stuff up when we go camping/hunting…..They don’t taste too bad and in my opinion are better than frozen dinners……….On top of that, we have about another ~2 months of store bought canned/dried food (Costco is your friend) and self canned(Old school Mason jars)/smoked/dried Moose/Salmon/deer/Grouse and fruit and vegetables………

As to water, I doubt we have more than a month bottled, but we have several cases of Aquatabs………

It’s really not that expensive to have squirreled away a month or two’s worth of emergency supplies and I’m rather surprised most don’t have something……….You probably don’t need to go to the same extent as the “Doomsday Preppers” and have enough food to feed your home town for twenty years, but as you mentioned a month’s worth isn’t to bad in terms of cost, but it does take up a fair bit of space………

Edited by Derek L

It’s really not that expensive to have squirreled away a month or two’s worth of emergency supplies and I’m rather surprised most don’t have something……….You probably don’t need to go to the same extent as the “Doomsday Preppers” and have enough food to feed your home town for twenty years, but as you mentioned a month’s worth isn’t to bad in terms of cost, but it does take up a fair bit of space………

What we'd need most to see us through 20 years of hard times is a big stash of good will. Maybe it's just me but the amount of room available for that seems limited these days.

Guest Derek L

What we'd need most to see us through 20 years of hard times is a big stash of good will. Maybe it's just me but the amount of room available for that seems limited these days.

Good will = reefer? ;)