An Olympic Medal for Canada

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is because $2 billion, yes that's right folks, two billion dollars, was spent on security, and it shows the whole world that this security con job is the farce the security industry and the police forces don't want you to know about.

Stupid question for you MS and you might not be able to answer it for me, but is our taxpayer $$ going into this security in any significant way? I would like to know how much we are losing to this effort.

BTW...if this IS the case, I wonder how much that person/advertiser cost us in added security down the road? :angry: :angry:

IOC might have to assist Olympic security costs

Cartman....don't worry, we will be hosed for the bullshit in Athens as well as the crap that will go down for the 2010 Games. Scam artists and jerks is what they are! :(

BTW I think it is just despicable the way our business oriented media is carping on our Canadian athletes. Makes me want to puke.

Canada's young athletes, by and large, have devoted massive amounts of time and energy to particpate, and all they get is criticism from their Canadian corporate media back home. Bunch of scumbags is what these business executives are!

Cartman....don't worry, we will be hosed for the bullshit in Athens as well as the crap that will go down for the 2010 Games. Scam artists and jerks is what they are!

Did you see the date of the story you posted?

By The Associated Press

Tuesday, July 8, 2003

So did the IOC have to assist with security costs?

BTW I think it is just despicable the way our business oriented media is carping on our Canadian athletes. Makes me want to puke.

What, you don't want the media to call a spade a spade? If we suck we suck...........How would you write the headlines MS?

Canada's young athletes, by and large, have devoted massive amounts of time and energy to particpate, and all they get is criticism from their Canadian corporate media back home. Bunch of scumbags is what these business executives are!

Let's see one of these scumbag reports though......

Here's TSN's sports Olympic section:

Full of nasty stories

Here's the Global section:

Even more nasty stories

Here's the Commie Broadcasting Corporation's site:

Somebody call the CRTC, these guys are devils

:rolleyes:

Commie broadcasting site.....that about sums you up, doesn't it? Very impressive!

Now that you got that out of your system........shall we continue?

Cartman....don't worry, we will be hosed for the bullshit in Athens as well as the crap that will go down for the 2010 Games. Scam artists and jerks is what they are! 

Did you see the date of the story you posted?

By The Associated Press

Tuesday, July 8, 2003 

So did the IOC have to assist with security costs?

What, you don't want the media to call a spade a spade? If we suck we suck...........How would you write the headlines MS?

Let's see one of these scumbag reports though......

Here's TSN's sports Olympic section:

Full of nasty stories

Here's the Global section:

Even more nasty stories

Here's the Commie Broadcasting Corporation's site:

Somebody call the CRTC, these guys are devils

When your ready.

Communist Broadcasting Corporation. Geez, that one might stick.

I frankly couldn't give a damn whether Canada wins any medals. I certainly care nothing for the sob stories of athletes spending years in training only to place 37th.

I mean, really, we've got hurricanes in Florida and a 'war' in Iraq. Let's keep this in perspective. Canada's measure as a country is in no way related to medal wins. That's East German thinking and look what happened to it.

I frankly couldn't give a damn whether Canada wins any medals. I certainly care nothing for the sob stories of athletes spending years in training only to place 37th.

I mean, really, we've got hurricanes in Florida and a 'war' in Iraq. Let's keep this in perspective. Canada's measure as a country is in no way related to medal wins. That's East German thinking and look what happened to it.

I couldn't agree more.........

Canadians can exercise in the street.

Honestly, I am surprised. Then again, I guess I would be jealous too if I were a middle-aged overweight computer geek who never learned to throw a ball. Sorry, I'm a little upset at the complete and utter lack of support for our countries athletes, best in the world or not.

Sport is one of the greatest things that humans can engage in. It fosters a spirit of healthy competition, while providing a way for people, young and old alike, to stay fit and have fun. It all sounds cliche-ed, but it's true.

It is vitally important that we provide young people with healthy role models and goals to strive for. Maybe Canadians CAN exercise in the street, but a lot more would be likely to do it if they see their hero breaking records at the Olympics.

And what's wrong with having nationalist feelings? As long as we're taking it out on the track and in the pool, rather than the battlefield, it's all good. The fact that the US and USSR were able to compete in sports and the other races during the Cold War are what prevented it from going hot. It provided an outlet without all the blood and radiation.

The sportsmanship that Olympic athletes demonstrate should be a lesson to us all. When the Australian girl (Jodie Henry I think) broke the world record in the 100m freestyle earlier today, the former record holder swam over and gave her a hug and congratulated her. We can all learn from that.

Giving a little extra money to our athletes so that they can pursue their goals and even show off our country a little bit is more important than I can explain with my limited vocabulary. There is nothing wrong with trying to be the best at something; it ensures that we continue moving forward, and nowhere are personal improvement, teamwork, and role-model ideals more obvious than in sports.

We should be proud to help our athletes succeed.

In follow-up, I hope that our poor performance, while I would never wish it upon our dedicated athletes, will open some eyes in the government as to the horrendous state of athletic programs in this country that many in the public have recognized for years. It's high time that we put these programs back on track and pay them the respect they deserve.

Despite having many world-class and potential athletes in this country, ever since former Canadian swim coach Don Talbot was fired in 1988 for refusing to make a political selection to the national team, Canadian sport has been on a slide. Talbot, btw, then went on to coach for Australia, building their world-dominating team over the course of 12 years. That could have been us.

I only hope that this [lack of] performance will be the shove into the deep end without a flutter board that forces us to take our athletes seriously.

Canadians can exercise in the street.

Honestly, I am surprised. Then again, I guess I would be jealous too if I were a middle-aged overweight computer geek who never learned to throw a ball. Sorry, I'm a little upset at the complete and utter lack of support for our countries athletes, best in the world or not.

There's a missing premise in your position. Why should athletes have our support in the first place?

Sport is one of the greatest things that humans can engage in.  It fosters a spirit of healthy competition, while providing a way for people, young and old alike, to stay fit and have fun.  It all sounds cliche-ed, but it's true.

The benefits of sport in general are a far cry from the whinging of our feckless 'elite' athletes and the decadent bilge of the IOC.

It is vitally important that we provide young people with healthy role models and goals to strive for. 

Indeed. And the Olympics fail utterly to do so. The goal of Olympic competition is about as unhealthy as you can get, and the role models equally so.

Maybe Canadians CAN exercise in the street, but a lot more would be likely to do it if they see their hero breaking records at the Olympics. [emphasis added]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now that was a good one. :lol:

I think we should all be proud of our athletes and their accomplishments. They do their best whether they win any medals or not. I do not think we (the general tax payer) should have to pay for it. If you want to support an athlete, then dust off the cheque book and send a donation. I have a hard enough time affording to keep my kids in a sports program. Besides, the Olympics are not the best example of sports heros anymore. With the continual drug scandals, crooked judging and so forth, why would I want my kids to be like that? Winning isn't everything, doing to the best of your abilities and have a good time is much more important.

I think we should all be proud of our athletes and their accomplishments. They do their best whether they win any medals or not. I do not think we (the general tax payer) should have to pay for it. If you want to support an athlete, then dust off the cheque book and send a donation. I have a hard enough time affording to keep my kids in a sports program. Besides, the Olympics are not the best example of sports heros anymore. With the continual drug scandals, crooked judging and so forth, why would I want my kids to be like that? Winning isn't everything, doing to the best of your abilities and have a good time is much more important.

I don't think we the tax payer should neccasairly fund olympic athletes, however, I would have no problem funding amature sport at a base level. When 20% of your population is considered obese there is a problem and soemthing must and should be down, creating an environment where everyone has access to athletic facilaties should be a priority not only would it take a burden off our health care system but it would also teach children how to be team palyers at a young age in a fun environment, and undoubtedly this would have a slight trickle up affect causing our athletes to do better at the olympics a win/win situation, something worth considering.

Are the Olympics over yet? It seems CBC radio has stopped talking about it but maybe it's because I'm not paying attention.

Also, is it true that we win all our medals in competitions with judges? (If true, can I assume this means that we are good at UN style, truly boring and pointless negotiations?)

Gold for Calgary's Kyle Shewfelt in gymnastics floor exercise, and gold for Edmonton's Lori-Ann Muenzer in cycle sprinting.

As usual, Albertans are carrying this country. :lol:

-kimmy B)