Alberta Election Prediction

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I live in Montreal but even I can see this one: a Wild Rose majority.

----

Years ago, I lived in Edmonton for awhile. (I learned to say an accented "Howdy"). I returned several times to Alberta later. IMV, Albertans are not very political people. So when they are forced to decide to be political, they change en masse.

This is such a time.

----

Is Danielle Smith another Peter Lougheed (or Ernest Manning)? Will Wild Rose rule Alberta for 40 years or so until 2048? I don't think so.

Maybe Albertans are discovering modern democratic government: choice matters.

Edited by August1991

Wholesale change doesn't seem to go over well with Altertans. :)

The history of Alberta provincial politics would say otherwise. Periods of stasis punctuated by wholesale change is how they do things. When they boot a party out of power, they tend to do so permanently.

PC majority, still, though not so easy.

Today, for the first time, the Edmonton Journal is dominated by an examination of Wildrose policy and the stated position of some candidates. Smith is trying hard to distance herself from all of it, but she will fail. Even Graham Thompson, a renowned long time Tory hatwer and baiter columnist, is talking about stategiic voting.

What will happen between now and election day is a whoole lot of sucking it up and a commitment to strategic voting by hte left and center in AB. The choices of their voting their traditional NDP/Liberal, and watching Wildrose win with a ratsnest of homophobic misogynists vs holding their noses and votiing PC will carry the day for the PCs. Redford is still far more palatable than Smith to the center and left, and that will be enough.

The last few days have been filled with contorversy for Smith about the rank homophobia of one oof her boys, and her refusal to associate the candidate with the Party. Today, she has some front page musings about cllimate change denial.

The sheep look up. A whole lot of folks are about to get engaged.

The last few days have been filled with contorversy for Smith about the rank homophobia of one oof her boys, and her refusal to associate the candidate with the Party. Today, she has some front page musings about cllimate change denial.

Yes, some people's biggest concerns about the reactionary tendencies of the party have been given credence, and right out of the gate.

The history of Alberta provincial politics would say otherwise. Periods of stasis punctuated by wholesale change is how they do things. When they boot a party out of power, they tend to do so permanently.

I see I didn't word my thought well at all. My observation, which is probably still off the mark (:lol:), is that after keeping the same party in power for 4 decades, I'm guessing Albertans don't want to go all in for the WR but are dipping their toes into unknown territory. Hence my prediction of a WR minority.

Hey guys, thought I'd drop in for my prediction. Loooooong time without a post, I know. How is everyone doing?

WRP - 51

PC - 29

NDP - 5

ABP - 2 (Glenora and West Yellowhead)

LPA - 0

Hi Geoffrey

Good to hear from you.. I am doing well... and Fellow Traveller is doing fantastic... :P

So, did WR voters get cold feet? Or are Albertans not as crazy as this forum makes them appear?

strategic voting....absolute terror at the thought of intolerant rednecks gaining power saw liberals, NDP and youth vote support the PC...the social moderates of calgary won this election for the PCs...now the wildrose rednecks will burn in a lake of fire for an eternity, maybe they didn't have enough Caucasians representing them...

the province breathes a sigh of relief as disaster is averted...

I was surprised to see the WR lost out but on second thought, if the Reform party under Harper couldn't take the province in the past elections then the WR wouldn't be able to do it either. Alberta voters seems to want to be a joiner with the rest of Canada and not a firewall like the WR and the reformers. Good going Alberta!