Obama vs Romney - POTUS 2012

Here's the Newsweek cover Shady referenced in his status update.

"COVER STORY: Obama has broken his promises, and it's clear that the GOP ticket's path to prosperity is our only hope"

The cover story is an editorial by Niall Ferguson, a member of the John McCain campaign.

I'm curious how he decided that "the GOP ticket's path to prosperity is our only hope" when all they're willing to tell us about that "path to prosperity" is that it isn't Paul Ryan's budget.

-k

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. I don't consider myself a conservative but I always enjoy Ferguson's writing and speeches. Some of his books are great.

I didn't know he worked on McCain's campaign.

I wonder if Newsweek was going to run a pro-Obama piece by Zakaria but....you know. ;)

Thanks for the link. I don't consider myself a conservative but I always enjoy Ferguson's writing and speeches. Some of his books are great.

I didn't know he worked on McCain's campaign.

I wonder if Newsweek was going to run a pro-Obama piece by Zakaria but....you know. ;)

No need to wait for Fareed Zakaria to respond, Politico and Paul Krugman speak.

Tina Brown -- (sigh) -- is out with yet another -- (sigh) -- controversial edition of Newsweek.

The cover-story, which hit the top of Drudge Report on Sunday evening, is by Niall Ferguson and titled "Hit The Road, Barack: Why We Need a New President." For those who don't know Ferguson, he's an Oxford-trained Harvard historian who was once ranked among the most influential people in the world by Time Magazine. He is also to the subject of the past what Malcolm Gladwell is to the subject of the future: a weaver of disparate facts and data that, when selectively thrown into the same pot, create in the reader that best-selling a-ha feeling.

Ferguson also dabbles in counterfactual history, and in keeping with the genre has managed to write a cover-story about our incumbent president that, as New York Times op-ed writer and economist Paul Krugman points out tonight, runs counter to fact.

"There are multiple errors and misrepresentations in Niall Ferguson’s cover story in Newsweek — I guess they don’t do fact-checking..." Krugman writes.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/krugman-to-newsweek-correct-obama-story-132502.html

I meant instead of the Ferguson story. It was a reference to Zakaria's suspension.

I've caught Zakaria on CNN over the last year or so... but thought his shift from Newsweek to Time/CNN was an official imposed closure on his (previous) attachment with Newsweek. In any case, both Time/CNN lifted the 'short-lived' suspension a few days back.

Public Policy Polling is reporting that Romney has taken a slight lead in Wisconsin now.

Good for him! Perhaps after he loses the election he can be made an honorary Cheesehead.

#HeckuvajobWillard

-k

New poll shows Romney beating Obama in Illinois suburbs. I'll link to it when I'm able to post from my computer.

I saw this on Drudge. The problem is, that Romney isn't really doing all that well in the polls. It's been pretty much a dead heat for awhile now.

I had no idea, because I was only looking at the poll headlines on Drudge.

I'll bet there are sections of Utah where Obama is winning, but you won't see it on Drudge.

When you add up the electoral votes that lean Obama (237) and Romney (191) and give Obama Florida (and yes that is a big if) the President is just 4 votes away from being re-elected. If Obama can win NH (4 votes), Romney can sweep all the seven remaining swing states and he is still short of the magic number.

Obviously just a hypothetical but interesting nonetheless.

RealClearPolitics - Poll Aggregator

Shows Obama with a 2.5 % lead - why didn't they highlight THAT on Drudge ?

Sure, if you think 3 week old polls are relevant. Obama's RCP average lead of 2.5% is highly skewed by 2 outliers, which gave him a 7% and 9% lead. Nobody thinks that's accurate. Anyways, polls are fun to post, and talk about, but I don't think they have much meaning until after the conventions, and especially after the first debate. I've mentioned that several times.

Sure, if you think 3 week old polls are relevant. Obama's RCP average lead of 2.5% is highly skewed by 2 outliers, which gave him a 7% and 9% lead. Nobody thinks that's accurate. Anyways, polls are fun to post, and talk about, but I don't think they have much meaning until after the conventions, and especially after the first debate. I've mentioned that several times.

And if you take the two polls that are actually out liars compared to every the poll this cycle Gallup and Ramusan Obama has close to a 6 point lead. I bet you don't want to that though shady and that is really point. We can play with the the math also we want but when we start doing that we really aren't being honest. Then again look at who I am talking to about honesty.

Whatever the polls say I believe if the election was held today it would be a re-election.

Romney needs to convince a lot of people that he is the better man for the job and from what I see (and for a variety of reasons) he hast been doing a good job of that.

Whatever the polls say I believe if the election was held today it would be a re-election.

Romney needs to convince a lot of people that he is the better man for the job and from what I see (and for a variety of reasons) he hast been doing a good job of that.

I tend to agree with that. I think after the convention, and especially the first debate, you're going to see a pretty big swing.

I tend to agree with that. I think after the convention, and especially the first debate, you're going to see a pretty big swing.

Romney is going to have to get on message (or be better at it) with the extra time he gets during the convention and CLEARLY beat Obama in the debates for that to happen.

He has to somehow become more likable too. I kinda like Romney but I find him a little awkward and robotic at times.

Romney is going to have to get on message (or be better at it) with the extra time he gets during the convention and CLEARLY beat Obama in the debates for that to happen.

I agree. Normally I prefer when Republicans hold their convention after the Democrats. But going first in this case helps a lot. It gives Romney a chance to present himself first to everyone, when the electorate starts paying attention.

He has to somehow become more likable too. I kinda like Romney but I find him a little awkward and robotic at times.

Yep, there's only been a couple of times when he's been really good on the stump. One of those being with Paul Ryan. I think that's why they're going to campaign together for a while. He seems to get a real jolt campaigning with Ryan.

New poll from Michigan shows Romney with a 4% point lead now! That's 2 blue states that Romney has taken leads in. We'll see if this is a trend, and if it hold up past the conventions. If it does, Obama's in deep deep trouble.

Our poll finding suggests that the naming of Paul Ryan as his running mate has given him the spark he needed. Romney now leads in Michigan by 3.8 points, a net gain of 5.21 points from June (Romney 47.68% to Obama 43.88%).

MFD

Nobody thinks that's accurate. Anyways, polls are fun to post, and talk about, but I don't think they have much meaning until after the conventions, and especially after the first debate. I've mentioned that several times.

Wow, that's the first sensible thing you've said in a while. I completely agree.

Shady Status Update: $500,000 dollars of the stimulus went to airing Obama ads on MSNBC. Can you imagine if Harper used stimulus money to air ads on Sun News?

what you label as "Obama ads" was the U.S. Labor Department advertising its "Job Corps" program and, in particular, according to the U.S. Labor Department, "raising awareness among employers and influencers about the Job Corps program’s existing and new training initiatives in high growth and environmentally friendly career areas"

Shady, are you raising concerns over Harper Conservatives spending tax dollars to promote government programs and policies? :lol: As for your selectively U.S. targeted comment, perhaps you could offer additional comment on the 2006 U.S. Government Accountability Office study that found that over a 2-year span, the Bush administration spent more than $1.6 billion in public relations and media spending to promote Bush administration programs and policies.

what you label as "Obama ads" was the U.S. Labor Department advertising its "Job Corps" program and, in particular, according to the U.S. Labor Department, "raising awareness among employers and influencers about the Job Corps program’s existing and new training initiatives in high growth and environmentally friendly career areas"

Shady, are you raising concerns over Harper Conservatives spending tax dollars to promote government programs and policies? :lol: As for your selectively U.S. targeted comment, perhaps you could offer additional comment on the 2006 U.S. Government Accountability Office study that found that over a 2-year span, the Bush administration spent more than $1.6 billion in public relations and media spending to promote Bush administration programs and policies.

None of this matters to Shady the lair. He is just trying to muddy the waters just enough that Romney can steal the election with out US noticing. Ain't going to work Shady tell your lies elsewhere

Yep, it's a great you scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of deal. The most pro-Obama cable shows receive stimulus advertising money. :rolleyes:

Yep, it's a great you scratch my back I'll scratch yours type of deal. The most pro-Obama cable shows receive stimulus advertising money. :rolleyes:

Saw the American military advertising on fox news the other day. Did you know the head of the American military is Obama? Shady you actllike an idiot sometimes for no reason what so ever.