Obama vs Romney - POTUS 2012

Romney has it in the bag for the GOP, this the 2012 race. Let the Superbowl of politics begin!

Personally I think Romney is one of the better Republican candidates in a very long time. IMO probably the best since at least Reagan (McCain wasn't so bad, but Palin just ruined him obviously). Should be a good battle.

Post your thoughts, news, etc. here.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I feel that Obama will win for much the same reasons Bush beat Gore in 2000. Gore and Romney are boardroom mannequins. Normal people can't relate to them. They're like the guy who visits your workplace wearing a white hard hat, with your company president sucking up to him, and about a dozen past student council president types dogging behind them.

People can't get behind those types.

Now, this all assumes that we'll continue to have non-substantive campaigns with no earth shaking "gotchas" or unforeseen gaffes.

It's too bad that elections are so much about entertainment today, as there actually are some issues we might wayt to consider.

Mitt Romney is boring, and kind of a nerd. But he's competent at fixing problems, which he's done over the course of his life. In business, for the olympics, and as governor. Something the current president isn't. That's how he needs to run his campaign.

Romney has it in the bag for the GOP, this the 2012 race. Let the Superbowl of politics begin!
It's Obama's to lose.

Key Factors: Price of gasoline, unemployment rate. (The unemployment rate is falling now and I reckon that gasoline prices have hit a peak. Donald Trump calls the gas price a Saudi October surprise.)

Other factor: Obama (like Trudeau) has a solid base of about 25%. To win, Romney (like Joe Clark in 1979) will need to win 70% of the non-Obama base. Unlikely.

Edited by August1991

Romney wont release his tax returns, wont do interviews with the media, wont outline or give details any of his plans, and created the system know as Obamacare. He wont win his negatives are way to high. Unless the economy goes into freefall which could happen if gas continues to go up and employment continues to go down he can't win.

Just remember September the Oil Speculation law goes into effect so if Speculators are really driving the price it is going to have a big tumble in that month and Obama will take the credit.

Also Romney can't help by lie all the time so he is going to start getting caught in those lies.

Edited by punked

The "Etch-A-Sketch" thing was portrayed as a big gaffe, but it's actually a rare moment of truth. One of Romney's staffers said, basically, that as soon as the nomination is official, we're going to ditch off the conservative rhetoric and start repositioning Mitt as a moderate, just like shaking an etch-a-sketch. And that's what will happen. Romney's opponents jumped on the comment, but they would do exactly the same were they the nominee. Santorum in particular has already been trying very hard to shake the etch-a-sketch to make some of his past comments disappear and try to convince everybody that he's not an extremist, he's just a regular conservative.

The longer the race goes, the more stuff Romney has to say to appease social conservatives, and the less time he has to rehabilitate his image afterward.

I noticed that his victory speech on Tuesday stayed focused entirely on the economy and healthcare and studiously avoided any discussion of social issues. I think they have recognized that while talking about social issues might help appeal to evangelicals and lock up the nomination faster, talking about social issues has been very damaging to the Republican brand over the past few months. I think that Mitt and his people have probably realized that from now on wooing evangelical voters is not as important as making Mitt an attractive candidate in November. Tuesday's victory speech was probably the start of that process.

-k

So far, I feel that Obama will win for much the same reasons Bush beat Gore in 2000. Gore and Romney are boardroom mannequins. Normal people can't relate to them.

Interesting comparison. Gore was far more qualified, but lost because he was just so fake and unlikeable, and yes a "boardroom mannequin". Romney obviously has a similar problem with relating to the average person, but I don't think it's on the same level as Gore. But yes it could cost him the election if it's close, among other things.

It's too bad that elections are so much about entertainment today, as there actually are some issues we might wayt to consider.

Yup. MSM, especially TV networks, focus on the scandals and the gaffes over the issues for sure.

Personally I think Romney is one of the better Republican candidates in a very long time. IMO probably the best since at least Reagan (McCain wasn't so bad, but Palin just ruined him obviously). Should be a good battle.

I don't dislike Romney (and I am an Obama supporter) and I do think he is smart and capable and he could even make a good President but I don't see him as a great candidate. He makes too many mistakes. He seems to always say the wrong thing and with all his money and organization he is barely putting the other GOP candidates away.

He comes across as awkward at times and while I do think he can appeal to independents I don't think he is able to come across as understanding of people's everyday problems.

I don't dislike Romney (and I am an Obama supporter) and I do think he is smart and capable and he could even make a good President but I don't see him as a great candidate. He makes too many mistakes. He seems to always say the wrong thing and with all his money and organization he is barely putting the other GOP candidates away.

He comes across as awkward at times and while I do think he can appeal to independents I don't think he is able to come across as understanding of people's everyday problems.

They aren't even trying yet and Romney is still his own worse enemy as far this campaign has gone on. They aren't playing his immigration quotes, they aren't playing his birth control quotes, they aren't talking about his car elevator, or his hate for the American auto industry. They are still winning, this is one of the only things they have done and it is a half hearted effort yet it paints a picture of the up coming race. It isn't going to be good for Romney.

Edited by punked

Also, his biggest plus is his business background but how much will that benefit him and how many votes will it get him if the economy is in good shape come election time?

I'm not sure how the economy is going to be in good shape by election time. Not with the current economic-illiterate-in-chief smothering it.

It doesn't have to be in great shape. It just has to continue to improve.

Well, the latest jobs report wasn't very good. Hiring fell off of a cliff compared to the previous months. I wouldn't call that improving. I guess we'll see how the next couple of months go.

Edited by Shady

Well, the latest jobs report wasn't very good. Hiring fell off of a cliff compared to the previous months. I wouldn't call that improving. I guess we'll see how the next couple of months go.

Yah it was pretty bad and Obama doesn't have the crutch that Reagan did he refuses to have most his jobs gains come from Government hiring like Reagan which might be the key difference in the jobs Data. Reagan just kept growing the government which put lots of people back to work but Obama doesn't look like he wants to do that so he needs a real private hiring recovery which is much harder for the President to do.

Yah it was pretty bad and Obama doesn't have the crutch that Reagan did he refuses to have most his jobs gains come from Government hiring like Reagan which might be the key difference in the jobs Data. Reagan just kept growing the government which put lots of people back to work but Obama doesn't look like he wants to do that so he needs a real private hiring recovery which is much harder for the President to do.

Complete nonsense. When the Reagan economy was producing 700,000 jobs per month, very few were government jobs. It's funny though. Whenever anyone criticizes Obama, you're reflex is to yell Reagan, Reagan, Reagan! As if that's an excuse for your hero Obama. :lol:

The thread is Obama vs Romney, not Obama vs Reagan. Enough with the strawmen.

Complete nonsense. When the Reagan economy was producing 700,000 jobs per month, very few were government jobs. It's funny though. Whenever anyone criticizes Obama, you're reflex is to yell Reagan, Reagan, Reagan! As if that's an excuse for your hero Obama. :lol:

The thread is Obama vs Romney, not Obama vs Reagan. Enough with the strawmen.

I don't know what to tell you Shady these are facts. At this point in the Reagan admin government employment had a rise of close to 4% while under Obama the government has had a decline (ie Firings) of close to 3%. That is a 7% difference. If Obama grew the government like Reagan did there would be 2 million more Americans back at work instead of those million governments have laid off. That is a difference of 3 Million Americans the employment rate would be closer 7% then the 8 it is now and Obama would be cursing Like Reagan was at this point. I know you want Obama to grow employment numbers like Reagan but the US can't afford it. They probably couldn't afford it under Reagan as well but heck he increased the debt by 189%. Obama isn't on track for a crazy debt increase like that, thats for sure.

I don't know what to tell you Shady these are facts. At this point in the Reagan admin government employment had a rise of close to 4% while under Obama the government has had a decline (ie Firings) of close to 3%. That is a 7% difference. If Obama grew the government like Reagan did there would be 2 million more Americans back at work instead of those million governments have laid off. That is a difference of 3 Million Americans the employment rate would be closer 7% then the 8 it is now and Obama would be cursing Like Reagan was at this point. I know you want Obama to grow employment numbers like Reagan but the US can't afford it. They probably couldn't afford it under Reagan as well but heck he increased the debt by 189%. Obama isn't on track for a crazy debt increase like that, thats for sure.

Reagan! Reagan! Reagan!

This thread is Romney vs Obama. Enough with the strawmen.

Reagan! Reagan! Reagan!

This thread is Romney vs Obama. Enough with the strawmen.

It isn't a strawman. I am using very real facts to point out if Obama had the government hiring Reagan did this would have been a cake walk for him. He chose however not to grow the government and its commitments the way Reagan did for many reasons now he might have to fight for this one.

It isn't a strawman. I am using very real facts to point out if Obama had the government hiring Reagan did this would have been a cake walk for him. He chose however not to grow the government and its commitments the way Reagan did for many reasons now he might have to fight for this one.

Once again. The vast majority of job creation was from the private sector. Those are facts. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. Reagan also didn't have congress allow him to spend a trillion dollars on stimulus during his first month in office. You seem to forget that.

Regardless, this thread is about Romney vs Obama. Enough with the strawmen. This past jobs report was pretty crappy, especially when you consider all of the money Obama's spent in his first 3 years. More money than any president in the history of the country, by far. It's not even close.