Do you think soccer is a girl sport?

Well it could be that there's a fallacy in saying it's the "World's Game" on the merits of how compelling a sport it is.

It's the world's game because anyone that can find a remotely round object the size of a human's head can play soccer.

Sports that have global appeal tend to be simple games that require little equipment: Baseball, Cricket, Volleyball and Basketball are other examples.

the fallacy here is calling soccer a "simple" game, the technical skill required is phenomenal, unlike every other team sport the use of hands are forbidden, all the ball handling skills have to be done with every part of the body but the hands...go ahead go try catch and control a ball with your head, chest, thigh or foot, let me know how "simple" that turns out...I can catch a football with my hands with very little effort, it took me years to develop the skill to catch a ball with my foot...to those who have no experience with the game the subtly of tactics is invisible, to those who understand it it's a chess match between coaches manipulating highly skilled athletes...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally incorrect

Rugby players are divided into two main positions: Backs and Forwards.

Forwards are big, strong, muscular players that lift people up during line-outs and participate in the scrums.

Backs participate in wing line formations, they are smaller and faster players. Perhaps you can compare them to soccer players but that's way to simplistic.

All rugby players need to be able to tackle and run for long periods of time, it's a unique skill set.

no he's correct, physical requirements in rugby are closer to soccer the NFL...an American football linemen don't have the stamina to play rugby, they're too big...rugby like soccer is size specific, excess body mass is a handicap as size is detrimental to endurance...the linebackers and such would be able to make the switch to rugby quiet well...

But seriously I don't think it's a bad sport in itself, I admire all athleticism. Only thing I don't like is the hollywood acting by some of those players. It makes me sick,

Bullshit..take your head out of butt cheating happens, diving occurs in every sport...ignorant comments like yours make me sick...you watched a soccer highlight on tv once and now your an expert :rolleyes:

One thing they have to try and eliminate is the diving....

diving will disappear when defenders stop grabbing, clutching and holding...when a defender has his arm wrapped around your neck, twisting your arm behind your back or is standing on your foot when you try go up for a header on goal then you begin understand why an attacker feels the need to cheat as well...defenders are guilty of far more offenses than attackers are and get called on precious few...

I played soccer at school when I was in grade school, if there wasn't any other sport available I imagine I would have developed a passion for it...the truth is playing hockey and baseball was more enjoyable for me... as a spectator sport soccer lacks intensity for me... if soccer was played with the verve of a Vinnie Jones it would probably be a lot more popular in North America IMO.... maybe bring Vinnie over here as a consultant and adopt and adapt his style of play to the north american soccer game, loosen up the rules a bit over here to a more agressive style...

I played soccer at school when I was in grade school, if there wasn't any other sport available I imagine I would have developed a passion for it...the truth is playing hockey and baseball was more enjoyable for me... as a spectator sport soccer lacks intensity for me... if soccer was played with the verve of a Vinnie Jones it would probably be a lot more popular in North America IMO.... maybe bring Vinnie over here as a consultant and adopt and adapt his style of play to the north american soccer game, loosen up the rules a bit over here to a more agressive style...

everyone has preferences and those preferences are guided by your self image, if you believe you suck at something you wont play and you'll move on to something else, kids always gravitate to activities they feel they can be competent at, mastery of foot skills is infinitely more difficult than learning to catch a ball with your hands...spectator sports work the same way, if you don't understand/comprehend/appreciate what's happening then the activity holds no interest...

Vinnie Jones was a low skilled goon, his style of play would set soccer back in the Canada and US back 30yrs, in terms of soccer relevance he was a nobody...this perception of soccer as non-aggressive sport stems from a lack of experience, grade school soccer is not how the game is played... play at an adult or elite level you gain an insight to what's like to have someone deliberately destroy your knee, break a leg or ankle, the injuries in soccer are as severe as NFL or hockey injuries... the non-initiated have this perception that because soccer players don't wear body armor that injuries are minor or non-existent so it isn't a contact sport, my four knee surgeries and several fractures and concussions say otherwise...

absolutely wrong...the number one team sport in the US...soccer, 24.5 million participants...soccer is well on it's way to becoming the dominant sport in the USA...

That will never happen! Never ever!

That will never happen! Never ever!

it already has in participation...the fan base is growing constantly and the media and the corporate world will follow the fans and their dollars...it's inevitable, the number one sport in the world didn't get that way by accident...

Let's put it this way: It is not at all impossible that the USA could sometime in the future win the soccer world cup. If Argentina, Brazil or any European country wins that competition people in any of those countries would go wild and there would be streets full of jubilant people celebrating the victory. If the USA won the soccer world cup it would largely pass unnoticed in almost all of the major cities in the US.

Edited by -TSS-

The reason Soccer has a high participation rate is because it's cheap to play and isn't terribly violent (except if you considering part of the game is to hit the ball with your head) Same reason people play it all over the world. Volleyball is number two, all you need is a net and a ball to play that sport.

Most kids start their sporting life playing soccer. Doesn't mean they'll stick with it and be fans for life.

I seriously doubt people will devout Sunday afternoons in the summer to Soccer like we do with Football in this part of the world.

Edited by Boges

Canada once again kicked Finland's arse! In the IIHF world championship-tournament here in Finland and in Sweden. The Canadian players are from teams eliminated from the current NHL-play offs. They have gained a reputation here being more interested in the night-life in Helsinki than the games. Yet they still beat us.

Well, can it at least be said that if any immigrant's choice of destination is based on how important soccer is in that country Canada should be just about the last of the preferences?

Well, can it at least be said that if any immigrant's choice of destination is based on how important soccer is in that country Canada should be just about the last of the preferences?

That would be pretty daft to base your opinion of Canada on our Soccer team. Most immigrants still cheer for the country of their birth in International Soccer.

Cricket is becoming increasingly popular in Canada.

Let's put it this way: It is not at all impossible that the USA could sometime in the future win the soccer world cup. If Argentina, Brazil or any European country wins that competition people in any of those countries would go wild and there would be streets full of jubilant people celebrating the victory. If the USA won the soccer world cup it would largely pass unnoticed in almost all of the major cities in the US.

you're talking out of your butt, you know nothing of soccer or it's appeal...you assume because you know nothing of the game that everyone else must be as equally uninformed as you as well...

The reason Soccer has a high participation rate is because it's cheap to play and isn't terribly violent (except if you considering part of the game is to hit the ball with your head) Same reason people play it all over the world. Volleyball is number two, all you need is a net and a ball to play that sport.

obviously you've never played the game otherwise you wouldn't make such a dumb statement, soccer is a "contact" sport, gratuitous deliberate to injury opponents is present in every match.... I played hockey as a kid it was cheap, a pair of skates and 2$ stick...I played football too all we required was a "ball", and baseball and all that required was a ball, a glove and a bat, basketball only required a ball and a playground hoop...your requirements for mass participation is a flawed effort to dismiss the popularity of soccer as the explanation fits every nearly sport...
Most kids start their sporting life playing soccer. Doesn't mean they'll stick with it and be fans for life.

I played hockey, baseball, and football as a kid and I'm not a fan of any...

I seriously doubt people will devout Sunday afternoons in the summer to Soccer like we do with Football in this part of the world.
and you know this how, you're privy to every Canadians weekend preferences? there are Canadians right across the country who every Saturday and Sunday tune into weekend matches from Europe's elite leagues...and hundreds of thousands more who are busy playing soccer every weekend rather partaking in football...the number of adult Canadians who play soccer dwarfs the number of adults who play football, soccer fans actually play their game football fans are mostly wannabe athletes who generally have never even played their game... what game are more Canadians playing Sunday afternoons than any other? soccer :lol: soccer has more registered players hockey...

apparently you're just another armchair athlete who is convinced he has more knowledge than he does, because you can't fathom it then it can't possibly be true...

• 1 month later...
Guest Manny

I'd have more respect for this sport if the "men" who played it were a little bit tougher. Either that, or they really should hand out academy awards for some of these fine performances.

obviously you've never played the game otherwise you wouldn't make such a dumb statement, soccer is a "contact" sport, gratuitous deliberate to injury opponents is present in every match.... I played hockey as a kid it was cheap, a pair of skates and 2$ stick...I played football too all we required was a "ball", and baseball and all that required was a ball, a glove and a bat, basketball only required a ball and a playground hoop...your requirements for mass participation is a flawed effort to dismiss the popularity of soccer as the explanation fits every nearly sport...

I played hockey, baseball, and football as a kid and I'm not a fan of any...

and you know this how, you're privy to every Canadians weekend preferences? there are Canadians right across the country who every Saturday and Sunday tune into weekend matches from Europe's elite leagues...and hundreds of thousands more who are busy playing soccer every weekend rather partaking in football...the number of adult Canadians who play soccer dwarfs the number of adults who play football, soccer fans actually play their game football fans are mostly wannabe athletes who generally have never even played their game... what game are more Canadians playing Sunday afternoons than any other? soccer :lol: soccer has more registered players hockey...

apparently you're just another armchair athlete who is convinced he has more knowledge than he does, because you can't fathom it then it can't possibly be true...

I'm not an "armchair" athelete...I played football and baseball for alot of years...

In what alternate universe do show up to play football with only a ball?

I played hockey as a kid it was cheap, a pair of skates and 2$ stick...

wyly my 2 boys played in organized hockey and the list of equipment was extensive. Elbow pads, knee pads, helmet, jock strap, skates and skate sharpening, stick, a chest protector, sweaters etc. Then there's the registration fee.

I agree with Boges that it is fairly inexpensive to outfit a kid for soccer.

Man I totally missed this post last month. I'm not talking about people who play soccer. Clearly more people play soccer than other "more expensive sports" I think other posters have backed up my opinion on that matter.

In the post you're responding to here I'm more referring to fans. I love playing volleyball, but I much prefer to watch NFL football.

Sorry to break this to you, but more people are paying attention to the NFL and the NHL in Canada than are paying attention to the MLS which is a second-rate soccer league. Many people are fans of the EPL and fill bars on a Saturday morning to watch the best version of the sport but that doesn't mean the sport is mainstream in North America like the big four (hockey, football, basketball and baseball) are when it comes to following the professional versions of the sport.

Edited by Boges

I wonder if the soccer nubes will have the decency on Canada Day to put away the flags they fly on their cars and put up Canadian flags???

I don't know why people are offended at people who fly the flags of their country of heritage during soccer tournaments. We're all Canadians, we wouldn't be here if we didn't love Canada, But we suck at soccer, so during international soccer tournaments there's nothing wrong with people adopting different nations.

Even people who have several generations of Canadians in their family can cheer for England. Or people that come from other Commonwealth nations that have a link to England.

I watched the second half of the Portugal game yesterday in a Portuguese deli and it was very exciting.