Alberta

Although there are still problems in Alberta, if you take a hard look at administration, we are not the boogeymen of Canada. Even when it comes to health care, Alberta has actually performed well relative to other provinces over the past 15 years. Let's face it, every province cut back partially due to fed. gov't cut backs.

So, is it time to base insurance rates on individual behaviour rather than on membership in a particular group? I mean, why are youth as a block uniformly discriminated? Not all youth are poor drivers and not all people over 25 are good drivers. I think insurance should be based on past behaviour. Is it time we have a public option along with private options here in Alberta? Is that not a balanced approach as long as we do not lose $$?

We are doing that here in BC. There is no age groups. However, new drivers of any age do not get the good driving discounts until they earn them. There are rate differential for different areas.

Of course Campbell fired Nick Geer, the president as he was doing a great job and has the public insurance working well and effeciently. This did not suit his plans which were to attempt to privatize our car insurance.

But will it be soon enough. Will there be anything left to save. The money is all tied up for years to come for the Olympics but after this year the budget cannot go into deficit. Hmm funny how that come around election time. Did he know that he would only have one kick at the can. Committed future tax money that will give the next government little discretion in spending.

Although there are still problems in Alberta, if you take a hard look at administration, we are not the boogeymen of Canada. Even when it comes to health care, Alberta has actually performed well relative to other provinces over the past 15 years. Let's face it, every province cut back partially due to fed. gov't cut backs.

Wow, your the first left winger to admit that. I actually would be supportive of the government, making sure that auto insurance companies are being fair to the consumers. I also believe that the reason auto insurance rates are up, is because people will get as much money as possible, even from a fender bender.

I think that health care is going to be an issue also, I think that Canada should adopt user fees, similar to the system they have in Sweden.

I'd actually say that if Canada should move closer to Sweden, because Sweden has been successful with their system in that country.

Sorry, got off topic.

Like a penalty fine, for people who go to the ER when they're not supposed to.

No, user fees are the real boogeymen when it coems to health care. you then have people scared to go to the E.R, while in many cases you have people going to the E.R for a plethora of childish illnesses, we should not scare people away from using health care. In the end those are the peopel who will really wait in the E.R and the same ones who complain about wait times. But whiel a user fee can scare away upset stomaches from the hospital it can also scare away serious cases, what about west Nile? Sars? I mean someone could very easily figure they just have a bad flu and be scared tog o in because they don't want to pay user fees. Personally just sending out a pamphlet on when to go to E.R and when to go to a walk in clinic. We coudl jsut give every one in the E.R a pamphlet to read while there waiting after all if your tummy hurts you could read it over a few times and maybe clue in. I don't know how well it would work but perhpas just some simple education could do the trick.

Our public auto insurance in BC puts a lie to the myth that private is better. ICBC is fantastic.

From personal experience, I was real ended a few years ago on a Thursday, brought my vehicle in for a damage assessment , the next day on Friday, and received a check for the damages on the following Monday - I would like to see any private insurance operate so appropriately.

I just went to renew my automobile insurance this week and was offered the option of farming out some of my insurance like collision, etc to a private company. Even though it was a few bucks cheaper, I said no, as who knows what this private company is going to do when I need them.

ICBC has a great track record but Gordo recently removed the Chair because he did not privatize it. What a smuck Gordo is. I will be surprised to see the Liberals keep him on as leader for the next election ;)

It sounds like private is a disaster in the Atlantic region - I mean let's face it, someone has to make the big bucks if it's private. I understand the rates have gone through the roof as the private companies gouge the poor consumers. Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? ;)

They should go to the ER, and when they are better, the hospitial should fine them, if the hospitial thinks it wasn't serious enought for ER.

But how does the average healthcare user know if it's serious enough? You haven't answered how you're going to prevent people from NOT going to the ER because they're afraid of a fine. A fine is the same thing as a user fee, only the moment the user gets billed differs.