Why were you suspended?

Scotty

That freedom of speech is very much protected, even if some things are supposedly off limits (and we'll see if those limits are able to survive any type of real challenge. I doubt it).

Are you familiar with the opening clause of the CCRF?

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

The bolded segment is what allows unjustifiable restriction of freedom of speech via the Human Rights Act of 1977. As an aside, language laws in Quebec are equally absurd. Canada certainly provides a greater climate of freedom of speech than most other countries in the world, and that is to be appreciated, but the left has effectively restricted this essential freedom unjustifiably in Canada and the rest of the Anglosphere.

Edited by Bob

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you familiar with the opening clause of the CCRF?

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

The bolded segment is what allows unjustifiable restriction

No actually, the bolded clause only allow justifiable ones. It says so right in the clause. Reasonable does have a specific meaning, after all.

The unjustifiable clauses are those that exist in some of the provinces, which haven't come up for much real challenge, as they aren't that often enforced.

Edited by Smallc

In several ways, Israel has broader protections for freedom of speech

In several way, Israel has horrible restrictions on freedom of speech, freedom of the press.

Hows the press councils and pre-submission articles going . Do we have that here? No we dont.

Nice try, you worry about where you live. But you dont, little touchy subject, and of course, typical from you.

Your house is on fire and you stand on the lawn and bitch about the neighbour having too many cars on his property. :lol:

No actually, the bolded clause only allow justifiable ones. It says so right in the clause. Reasonable does have a specific meaning, after all.

The unjustifiable clauses are those that exist in some of the provinces, which haven't come up for much real challenge, as they aren't that often enforced.

So you don't think the provincial HRTs constitute unreasonable limitations on freedom of speech, for example through Section 13 of the HRA of 1977?

In several way, Israel has horrible restrictions on freedom of speech, freedom of the press.

Hows the press councils and pre-submission articles going . Do we have that here? No we dont.

Nice try, you worry about where you live. But you dont, little touchy subject, and of course, typical from you.

Your house is on fire and you stand on the lawn and bitch about the neighbour having too many cars on his property. :lol:

Be specific and I will address your false assertions.

Be specific and I will address your false assertions.

Why bother?

You just gave me all the answer one would expect.

Comedy gold jerry!

Tell ya what....

Now go run to Wikipedia and come back in ten minutes and pretend to be familiar with laws that affect freedom of speech in Israel

Edited by guyser

I guess you'll just have to blame B'nai Brith for those laws.

Ya' know, BM, I agree with you on this one, for once. But you left out the Canadian Jewish Congress. I am Jewish but I find these laws abhorrent.

I've seen both right wing and left wing types suspended. I've been suspended and I've also seen others who don't share my view points being suspended as well, even banned.

From my experience, MLW wants people of all view points to post in an intelligent, well thought out way no matter which side of the political spectrum they may or may not fall on.

Name calling, flaming and trolling are not clear concise statements meant to further meaningful discussion.

EDIT- when I was suspended I completely deserved it. I had worked hard to earn it. The mods gave me many chances to smarten up and in the end I chose to disregard the warnings and was given a timeout. So be it. I brought it on myself.

I don't post here as often as I'm very busy nowadays but when I do I really try to make sure that I do so in a cordial manner. In short, I've learned my lesson.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I actually don't really care now, but I can definitely see why posters are frustrated with the mods

I've cleaned up my posts since because I'd rather not be suspended over pettiness

Aswell be very carefull when making comments of a sexual nature!!!

The admin/mods have a very conservative view of what can be deemed offensive in this field.

I have seen some here make sexual comments and not get suspended at all,maybe they were warned but definetiley not suspended.

I believe the mods/admin treat the newbies with a heavier hand for making comments that older contributors can get away with.

If I read something offensive I usually print a copy for my records and then report.

WWWTT

I do not see anything wrong with printing off a copy here or there from time to time.

I guess I take this thing more serious then others,thats why I try to proof read(time permiting) and do not always hit "add reply" when I am finished.Sometimes I cancell.

I'm sure I can sound abrasive sometimes,I am not claiming to be an ideal contributorAswell some threads are more serious than others.Some contributors are more serious then others.If someone insults me first then I may take a jab back at them instead of reporting them,why not?

Take Cybercomas comment he just made:

"Hahaha.Print a copy,seriously?"

Did Cybercoma thourally think how I may react/understand/feel about this comment he made?

Or how about capricorns:

"On recycled paper,I would hope.Think of the trees."

Obviously she is implying here that there is so much insult being hurled here that I can cause an environmental disaster by just trying to keep track.Now think of that for a moment.How does this comment reflect on the moderators and the admin. performance of policing this site?

Or in other words who polices the police?Or are the moderators above doing any wrong?

WWWTT

Rules are laws that apply only on private property, and I have no sympathy for lawbreakers.

And some laws and rules are stupid and make no sense

What if the law was you cannot have a beer unless you're watching hockey? would you have sympathy if people broke it and got fined?

Guest American Woman
And some laws and rules are stupid and make no sense

What if the law was you cannot have a beer unless you're watching hockey? would you have sympathy if people broke it and got fined?

The people who wanted to have a beer without watching hockey could - and should - find somewhere else to hang out; somewhere that they can have a beer without watching hockey - since there are plenty such places. Simple enough, eh?

No reason why every place should cater to your desires when there are others looking for something else... <_<