Another Canadian hurt in Mexico

Topaz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that what there is to see in Canada? Perhaps Whistler if you like $20 hot dogs?

:lol:

people dont vacation to camp and ski and stuff.. they want warm beaches and drinking pina coladas

theres nothing exotic or culturally significant about canada

all we have are the Rockies, CN Tower, Great Lakes, Niagara Falls

I'm not an ardent defender of Cuba but at least it has a good education and health care system.

By what measures? I hear this all the time, but in reality the good education system in Cuba is actually a high rate of literacy. That is admirable, but it does not equate to much beyond that. A degree from a Cuban university is not worth much outside Cuba. or inside Cuba for that matter.

If you belive that life expectancy is a measure of the quality of health care, Cuba ranks 36th in the world. Cuna trained doctors have zero chance of working in Canada without complete retraining programs, a start over basically. The reason is that equipment and medications available to Cuban medical schools is hopelessly old, outdated or nonexistent. I don't care about good intentions, universality or myths, there is no way I would want to be treated in a Cuban hospital f I was seriously ill or injured.

people dont vacation to camp and ski and stuff..

Sure they do. Even though it isn't in the top 10, Canada welcomes over 16M tourists each year. There are things that are special about Canada, obviously, both cultural and natural. There are, of course, more interesting things in the eyes of Many people....and yes, you're right, the beach.

Sure they do. Even though it isn't in the top 10, Canada welcomes over 16M tourists each year. There are things that are special about Canada, obviously, both cultural and natural. There are, of course, more interesting things in the eyes of Many people....and yes, you're right, the beach.

wow 16 million! most of them being american

not something to brag about

edit: it says 35 million on google with most being from the states

Edited by olpfan1

wow 16 million! most of them being american

not something to brag about

edit: it says 35 million on google with most being from the states

Depending ou who you ask, there are wildly varying numbers. The same stats gave the US 54.5M visitors in the same year.

It wasn't about bragging though, it was about the reality that many people do visit Canada, and that there are many things to see here. Most are from the US. I'm sure if you look at the numbers for France, most people visiting France will also come from bordering nations, and that most people visiting the US will come from Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean nations.

Guest American Woman
It really is a beautiful place. I've gone there three times now, and I love it more each time I go. The people are simply amazing, and the whole island is just gorgeous. Our family has several Cuban friends (both in Canada and in Cuba). It's really neat to see where they grew up, and the culture the grew up with.

Sounds awesome - great experiences, lasting memories and friendships, and the beauty of the island. :)

Well that certainly clears it up. :unsure:

Yeah not much to clear up there. The phenomenon is pretty well understood. Its not like anyone out there doesnt know that prohibition creates and funds organized crime, and its not a big mystery where these cartells turning mexico into a cesspool are getting their money.

Guest American Woman

It wasn't about bragging though, it was about the reality that many people do visit Canada, and that there are many things to see here. Most are from the US. I'm sure if you look at the numbers for France, most people visiting France will also come from bordering nations, and that most people visiting the US will come from Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean nations.

most people visiting the US will come from Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean nations.

Two out of three ain't bad .........

Canada and Mexico are No. 1 and No. 2, followed by the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany.

most people visiting the US will come from Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean nations.

Canada and Mexico are No. 1 and No. 2, followed by the United Kingdom, Japan and Germany.

Until and unless things change drastically, the only way I would visit Mexico is if someone put a gun to my head!

They are. 2010 was a boon year for tourism in TO. Beat even Vancouver and they had the Olympics.

10M is a lot of people .

Is Toronto still the gay capital of North America? Or is it the whole world now.

Just sayin, a lot go there for the parade.

The Caribbean is not a country, and it's pretty safe to assume that the US is their number one destination, even if their small population doesn't show that in the stats. I should have known that their total numbers wouldn't be that high.

My major point was that most trips people take will be to somewhere close to them, due to cost.

Edited by Smallc

The Caribbean is not a country, and it's pretty safe to assume that the US is their number one destination, even if their small population doesn't show that in the stats. I should have known that their total numbers wouldn't be that high.

My major point was that most trips people take will be to somewhere close to them, due to cost.

Plus a majority of the people in the Caribbean are dirt poor. When you live in Paradise why do you really want to go to a Northern city to visit? Now to immigrate there, that's another thing.

Guest American Woman

The Caribbean is not a country, and it's pretty safe to assume that the US is their number one destination, even if their small population doesn't show that in the stats.

Yeah, I'm thinking that tourists from the Caribbean don't have much impact on the U.S. being the #2 most visited country.

I should have known that their total numbers wouldn't be that high.

Yet numbers 3, 4, and 5 visiting the U.S. are the UK, Japan, and Germany - and the U.S. is the #2 most visited country, even though most countries have more nations bordering them than the U.S. does.

Furthermore, "greater distance" and "higher cost" don't always go hand in hand by any means.

I would say "convenience" is one reason people visit countries closest to them - 80% of Canada's population lives within a few hours drive of the U.S., so it stands to reason that Canadians would top the list of foreign visitors to the U.S.; the U.S. gets about 15 million Canadian visitors a year - just about half of your population.

Edited by American Woman