Another Canadian hurt in Mexico

Topaz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. We stayed at the Blau Varadero in 2010. Loved it. Lots of great excursion options from Varadero too.

Last year, we hired a guide who took us in a 1956 Chevy to Havana, a 2 hour ride through some interesting countryside. What a blast! One of the best experiences I ever had.

BTW, my niece was married last year in Cayo Santa Maria. :)

Last year, we hired a guide who took us in a 1956 Chevy to Havana, a 2 hour ride through some interesting countryside. What a blast! One of the best experiences I ever had.

Very cool. We took the overnight guided bus tour to Havana. It;s not an ideal way to see what you want, because they have their own itinerary. We got to see a Tropicana show which was awesome, but we had to go to a lot of things I was not interested in and had no time left to see many of the things I considered a priority. I can't complain about the price though... the hotel paid for it!

This time we'll have to fly to Havana from CSM, but I'm not taking a tour. We'll go where we want when we want.

BTW, my niece was married last year in Cayo Santa Maria. :)

That's very cool. This will be my first time in the Jardines Del Rey area. I can't wait... four more sleeps!

Edited by Bryan

Very cool. We took the overnight guided bus tour to Havana. It;s not an ideal way to see what you want, because they have their own itinerary.

That's the beauty of having a guide as opposed to a bus tour. You pay the guide and cover his expenses in exchange for calling the shots. I recommend it.

We got to see a Tropicana show which was awesome,

That's what I heard. Maybe next time...

This time we'll have to fly to Havana from CSM, but I'm not taking a tour. We'll go where we want when we want.

You're flying Cuban domestic? Man, I don't know if I'd be that brave. Plus, my spanish isn't that great. :lol:

That's the beauty of having a guide as opposed to a bus tour. You pay the guide and cover his expenses in exchange for calling the shots. I recommend it.

We'll get ourselves around Havana now that we know where we want to go, but I'll probably take your advice when we go to Santa Clara and/or Trinidad.

You're flying Cuban domestic? Man, I don't know if I'd be that brave. Plus, my spanish isn't that great. :lol:

Cubana's planes are newer than Sunwing's! You can book the flight right at the hotel through your vacation provider.

This attack happened in the elevator of a 5 star Hotel
well, maybe. There was an indication that she may have been assaulted elsewhere and left in the elevator.

Maybe in the hall.

Maybe in her room, where her husband was allegedly sleeping.

Maybe in another room.

She has now regained conciousness, maybe she can solve the mystery soon.

Guest American Woman

It sounds as if this incident wasn't due to the drug war problems that we have been warned about.

A Mexican man arrested in connection with the brutal beating of Canadian tourist Sheila Nabb was paraded before the media on Saturday.

On Friday, state attorney Marco Antonio Higuera Gomez said they had arrested a man who was identified through a blood sample.

Gomez said on Saturday that Quintero said that he and a Canadian friend had spent the early hours of Jan. 20 drinking heavily. When the beer ran out, they decided to head to Hotel Riu to keep drinking at the 24-hour bar there.

Quintero took a separate elevator in the hotel and on one of the floors, a female guest entered. The two argued apparently because the Mexican man would not let her leave. When she began to scream and call for help, the accused allegedly struck her until she was unconscious.

So a guy who has been drinking heavily and is quite drunk can manage to beat another person so badly that every bone in her face is broken? I suppose anything is possible, but that is difficult to comprehend.

At any rate, the accused apparently said this as well:

He says he encountered Nabb, who he said wasn't wearing any clothes, at the sixth floor. When Quintero tried to prevent her from leaving he said she screamed, and he panicked.

"I didn't try to abuse her, or I didn't … I didn't try to kill her or anything like … or rob her or anything. I was just afraid and I wanted to leave."

Quintero said he covered Nabb's mouth and asked her not to yell.

"But she continued yelling," he said. "She got more afraid when I covered her mouth. And then I hit her ... four or five times in the face with my fist. And then I left."

Edited by sharkman

Guest American Woman

So a guy who has been drinking heavily and is quite drunk can manage to beat another person so badly that every bone in her face is broken? I suppose anything is possible, but that is difficult to comprehend.

Why is that difficult to comprehend? He was drunk and had been doing cocaine, so it's very possible he wasn't capable of restraint; I doubt whether he was capable of making good judgments. How else could she have been in the state she was when she was found? And why would he try to prevent her from leaving the elevator - which he himself claims to have done? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even accurately remember what happened after drinking and using cocaine.

At any rate, at this point it sounds more like a one-time incident than a problem with tourist safety in Mexico.

Guest American Woman

I spent four nights at the Fort Gary Hotel in downtown Winnipeg last summer. I didn't realize I was supposed to be frightened. :lol:

You weren't supposed to be - I think that was the point being made.

Why is that difficult to comprehend? He was drunk and had been doing cocaine, so it's very possible he wasn't capable of restraint; I doubt whether he was capable of making good judgments. How else could she have been in the state she was when she was found? And why would he try to prevent her from leaving the elevator - which he himself claims to have done? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even accurately remember what happened after drinking and using cocaine.

At any rate, at this point it sounds more like a one-time incident than a problem with tourist safety in Mexico.

Well his motor skills and balance and strength would all be off I assumed, to do that kind of damage. The whole thing looks to me like Mexico is trying to protect its tourism industry by appearing to quickly clean up this mess. Since when do the police have the accused confess his sins in a press release, or was it a press conference? Most times the accused denies everything and gets a lawyer who wouldn't let him say anything to anybody.

Your question is in the second sentence, and the answer is in the first sentence.

I'm sure Mexican authorities can see how Canadians are treating this instance of assault. It's not like some idiot that gets himself killed by going off the resort and doing things he/she probably shouldn't. This lady was assaulted on the resort. And if people aren't safe on the resort then that's a problem.

That being said there's no evidence to support that this guy is just a fall-guy for some sort of conspiracy to beat a woman to within an inch of her life.

Guest American Woman

Well his motor skills and balance and strength would all be off I assumed, to do that kind of damage. The whole thing looks to me like Mexico is trying to protect its tourism industry by appearing to quickly clean up this mess. Since when do the police have the accused confess his sins in a press release, or was it a press conference? Most times the accused denies everything and gets a lawyer who wouldn't let him say anything to anybody.

They would parade him in the media for damage control. There's a video of him coming out of the elevator; a video which purportedly shows him kicking her, which he does deny.

Edited by American Woman

They would parade him in the media for damage control. There's a video of him coming out of the elevator; a video which purportedly shows him kicking her, which he does deny.

I don't doubt that they got the right guy, but the story he's freely singing sounds quite suspect. He got really really scared of a smallish woman. But he's stoned on booze and coke. Is it even possible to get scared while in this condition? So anyway, he's so 'scared' that he beats her to a pulp, broke every bone in her face they say. Again, how can a severly stoned person have the strength and co-ordination to to that. Because they are scared. He's so scared that upon leaving the elevator in his fright, he stops to either give her one more shot or get her hand inside the doors.

The point I am trying to make is that he was neither stoned nor drunk. Those are obviously lies. There are 2 issues at this point. One, are they his lies or are they the lies the police, knowing the real truth, told him to tell. Two, why did he really beat her to a pulp? And an extra bonus question, why was she nude?

Over 150,000 a day!

I know you weren't asking me, but I enthusiastically recommend Cuba. It definitely is safer than downtown Winnipeg. The vacations cost less than staying home too.

You obviously and enthusiastically support communist slavery. If you are too cheap to vacation in Puerto Rico or Hawaii or Florida or Bermuda or Bahamas or just about anywhere else just to save a few lousy bucks, your value for human life, dignity and freedom is well below the state of and concern for your wallet.

One more vacation for you in Cuba and then you will graduate to the greatest vacation destination: North Korea.

BTW, I live in Winnipeg. Admittedly not downtown, but I never worry about locking my door or car, and definitely not worried about getting mugged or killed.

Edited by Yukon Jack

Yes but Cuba is an oppressive Communist country. Can't go there too.

How about Jamaica? The crime rate is high there but they don't shoot tourists so that place is great. :rolleyes:

Being alarmist about this assault is far worse that people saying the recent Italian Cruise ship running a ground is evidence that Cruise vacations aren't safe.

A cruise nothing but an expensive mall food court on water.

Guest American Woman

You obviously and enthusiastically support communist slavery. If you are too cheap to vacation in Puerto Rico or Hawaii or Florida or Bermuda or Bahamas or just about anywhere else just to save a few lousy bucks, your value for human life, dignity and freedom is well below the state of and concern for your wallet.

One more vacation for you in Cuba and then you will graduate to the greatest vacation destination: North Korea.

Who's to say he vacations in Cuba just to save money? Cuba, from what I've read/seen, is a beautiful island with wonderful people, who have an interesting culture, beautiful music and dance. You think that because their government is communist, they aren't worth visiting? One of my favorite destinations is China. Does that mean I "enthusiastically support communist slavery??" Of course not. I love the country, the people, the culture, all that it has to offer. I've made lasting friendships. I've increased my knowledge. I'm sure Bryan and Capricorn have had many wonderful experiences in Cuba - with more to come just around the corner.

BTW, I live in Winnipeg. Admittedly not downtown, but I never worry about locking my door or car, and definitely not worried about getting mugged or killed.

I'm not an ardent defender of Cuba but at least it has a good education and health care system. I'm sure its citizens would do a lot worse if people stopped visiting there as tourists.

I grow rather tired of this sentiment that if you can't afford to vacation in the Barbados or Hawaii you probably shouldn't vacation. $700 per person to go to a 3-Star in Cuba is a lot of money for lots of people.

I was in the Dominican Republic last year and my friends and I went on an excursion to an Island off the coast of La Romana. There was an open bar at the beach we were staying at for the afternoon.

Being dooshy tourists we tried to speak to the bartender in the limited Spanish we knew. He told us to kindly stop trying to speak Spanish and just speak in English.

The reason? He wanted to learn better English. Why? Because he wanted a job at one of the resorts and you need to be able to speak relatively good English to work at a resort. Those resorts are the plum job in these countries. I imagine it's a similar case in other poor countries people go to for a vacation.

Imagine the plight of these people if no one ever visited their country from the First World simply because we oppose the conditions these people have to live off the resort.

One detail about this incident continues to bug me.

Anybody here ever been in a fight? This guy has been publicly paraded and twice now has shown his handd to the media. If he beat the shit out of her, hard enough to crush her face. why are his hands unmarked?

OK, two details. News reports were that she was found naked on the elvator. No clothes, he claims she got on the elevator naked. No clothes. Where are her clothes? Where was she coming from? If she slipped out of her room for a rendezvous, or even for a late night drink, would she leave her room naked?

One of my favorite destinations is China. Does that mean I "enthusiastically support communist slavery??" Of course not. I love the country, the people, the culture, all that it has to offer. I've made lasting friendships. I've increased my knowledge. I'm sure Bryan and Capricorn have had many wonderful experiences in Cuba - with more to come just around the corner.

HE wouldnt understand that like you he supports ....OMG OMG Communist China.

So do we all of course, Im using a pen that was made in china.

The horrors....I think I will go flagellate myself. Be right back.