Another Canadian hurt in Mexico

Topaz

I don't understand why Canadians or anyone else in the world would vaction in Mexico after knowing the chances of dying or getting seriously hurt is high? I've been told that some US businesses may be thinking of coming back to the US because the drug wars are getting too dangerous. I hope this woman recovers. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-woman-beaten-mexico-resort-hotel-184816534.html

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really the whole of Mexico that is a problem with the drug cartels. It's only a few specific places in the northern border states that are a problem. I was in Piedras Negras (not a tourist/resort area) in October, and walked around town without issue. I would have no hesitation about going back there again.

Tecate, Tijuana, or Mexicali, however, you couldn't pay me enough to go to!

I don't understand why Canadians or anyone else in the world would vaction in Mexico after knowing the chances of dying or getting seriously hurt is high? I've been told that some US businesses may be thinking of coming back to the US because the drug wars are getting too dangerous. I hope this woman recovers. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-woman-beaten-mexico-resort-hotel-184816534.html

How high exactly? I'd venture to say your chances of dying in Rexdale or Downtown Winnipeg are greater.

Mexico is a large country. It's like if a Canadian was killed in Detroit and someone saying why do people continue to go to the US.

People go to Mexico every week and return safely. The Mayan Riviera is a tourist's wonderland.

This guy who got shot last week was in a drug cartel town, why was he there?

In this instance this woman was injured in a resort but other than that Italian couple from Woodbridge that got killed in their rooms years back I don't hear of many deaths in tourist areas.

Is there any part of the Carribean or Latin America you do suggest is safe to go to?

Edited by Boges

First of all, what's wrong with you Topaz, obviously this is Harper's fault!(only kidding)

This attack happened in the elevator of a 5 star Hotel. If you are not safe there then you are taking a risk going down there at all. Canada has issued a warning to citizens traveling to Mexico, so this is getting serious.

First of all, what's wrong with you Topaz, obviously this is Harper's fault!(only kidding)

This attack happened in the elevator of a 5 star Hotel. If you are not safe there then you are taking a risk going down there at all. Canada has issued a warning to citizens traveling to Mexico, so this is getting serious.

It's that Ottawa also seems to be leaving so many Canadians high and dry in foreign lands that would make me think twice before travelling abroad.

People go to Mexico every week and return safely.

Over 150,000 a day!

Is there any part of the Carribean or Latin America you do suggest is safe to go to?

I know you weren't asking me, but I enthusiastically recommend Cuba. It definitely is safer than downtown Winnipeg. The vacations cost less than staying home too.

Over 150,000 a day!

I know you weren't asking me, but I enthusiastically recommend Cuba. It definitely is safer than downtown Winnipeg. The vacations cost less than staying home too.

Yes but Cuba is an oppressive Communist country. Can't go there too.

How about Jamaica? The crime rate is high there but they don't shoot tourists so that place is great. :rolleyes:

Being alarmist about this assault is far worse that people saying the recent Italian Cruise ship running a ground is evidence that Cruise vacations aren't safe.

So we should just ignore the warnings of our own government?

Post the warning and let me see the wording.

Should the Canadian government warn people from going to Jane and Finch?

Typcasting an entire nation based on an assault that happened in one city on the West coast is assinine.

Edited by Boges

Guest American Woman

This attack took place in Mazatlan, one of the places tourists shouldn't be traveling to - but I imagine the deals being offered because of it will always attract some.

This attack took place in Mazatlan, one of the places tourists shouldn't be traveling to - but I imagine the deals being offered because of it will always attract some.

Everyone I know that goes to Mexico goes to the Mayan Riviera. It's on the other freakin' end of the country.

Don't go to Toronto because there's a heroine problem in Vancouver. That's how retarded these anti-Mexico alarmists sound.

Guest American Woman

So we should just ignore the warnings of our own government?

No, you should be wary of traveling to the trouble spots, which really comprise a very small part of Mexico.

Guest American Woman

Everyone I know that goes to Mexico goes to the Mayan Riviera. It's on the other freakin' end of the country.

Don't go to Toronto because there's a heroine problem in Vancouver. That's how retarded these anti-Mexico alarmists sound.

And don't go to Disney World because of the crime statistics in inner city Detroit.

So could you identify if the 5 star hotel in question was in a danger area?

No but Mazatlan isn't Playa del Carmen.

This is a bad thing that's happened make no mistake. But no details were given as to the circumstances of this assault. Are we even sure she was beaten up by a Mexican and not another tourist?

But regardless, as soon as a Canadian gets hurt in Mexico the same people come out without any information and ask "Why do people still go to Mexico?" As if it's like going to Lebanon.

This happened last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/17/mexico-canadian-killed.html

A man shot dead on a street in the city of Culiacan in Sinaloa state has been identified as Salih Abdulaziz Sahbaz, a Canadian citizen originally from Iraq.

In an interview in Spanish, Gerardo Vargas Landeros, the secretary of state of Sinaloa, said Sahbaz had both a current and expired Canadian passport on his body when it was found Monday.

Why the Hell was he in that town? Was he even a tourist?

I know you weren't asking me, but I enthusiastically recommend Cuba.

In 2009, almost a million Canadians vacationed in Cuba. According to this article, this accounts for the most number of tourists to Cuba and they tend to stick to their resorts.

http://thecubaneconomy.com/articles/2011/01/cuba%E2%80%99s-best-friend-the-canadian-winter/

Those resorts are typically strong on providing security for tourists. I can't help but think that's a major draw for many tourists.

In 2009, almost a million Canadians vacationed in Cuba. According to this article, this accounts for the most number of tourists to Cuba and they tend to stick to their resorts.

http://thecubaneconomy.com/articles/2011/01/cuba%E2%80%99s-best-friend-the-canadian-winter/

Those resorts are typically strong on providing security for tourists. I can't help but think that's a major draw for many tourists.

I'm thinking of going to Cuba next month. :unsure:

Most resorts in Mexico have good security as well. Getting assaulted in your resort is the exception not the rule. There was also the Ianiero Family.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=64b6bebf-9bfe-4d3e-9e6a-be9cb4cd0538&k=20643

But instances of violence on the resort appear to be rare considering how many people go there from Canada.

Guest American Woman

It was in Mazetlan, and Mazetlan is a "danger zone." One should avoid traveling there.

It was in Mazetlan, and Mazetlan is a "danger zone." One should avoid traveling there.

When I was younger my parents took me too a Cruise and one of the ports was Mazetlan. The excursion we went on was too a nearby island so I can't really comment on the safety of the city. It's a rather large city though.

Guest American Woman

When I was younger my parents took me too a Cruise and one of the ports was Mazetlan. The excursion we went on was too a nearby island so I can't really comment on the safety of the city. It's a rather large city though.

It used to be a safe travel destination, but with the drug war problems Mexico is now experiencing, it no longer is. Same with Acapulco.

There really isn't much in terms of visible security on the resorts. They aren't closed compounds. The safety is largely just because Cuba is a very safe place. Even walking around in Centro Havana, you are safer than the inner city in a Canadian or American metropolitan centre.

The article seems to imply that people don't generally venture off the resorts. That has not been my experience. Most people make a point of seeing the country where and when they can. Havana can be tough depending on where you're staying (if you have to take another flight and spend hundreds of dollars more to do it, you might balk at that), but spending a day or two in whatever the next closest city is, that's pretty much standard. Our first trip we spent a week in Varadero and two days in Havana. The second time it was a week in Santa Lucia, and one day in Camaguey, plus other short excursions to smaller towns. That's pretty typical from what I saw.

I'm thinking of going to Cuba next month. :unsure:

I'm going back on friday! My third trip since 2010. Two weeks on a tropical island!

There really isn't much in terms of visible security on the resorts.

Oh, I agree, but it's there and low key.

They aren't closed compounds. The safety is largely just because Cuba is a very safe place. Even walking around in Centro Havana, you are safer than the inner city in a Canadian or American metropolitan centre.

Again, I agree. I've been to resorts in south america where armed guards were posted at the entrance of a chain link fence that encircled the resort to protect the tourists. Tourists were also warned not to venture on the beach. Bummer.

The article seems to imply that people don't generally venture off the resorts.

In my experience, this is true but not for security reasons. Mostly, because many tourists to Cuba opt for budget priced vacations and can't afford to spend any money on extras.

I'm going back on friday! My third trip since 2010. Two weeks on a tropical island!

Same here, departing Feb. 1. Have a great holiday, Bryan.