Identity of rogue teachers to be made public

Shwa

Good news! And nice to see the government respond. I read through the Star series and it wasn't pretty. I mean, Rate My Teacher can only go so far. What I didn't know is that BC's had similar problems with the College of Teachers and took drastic measures to correct them. I guess the Ontario College of Teachers saw the writing on the wall, which might be the thin edge of the wedge for more public oversight on the self-interest of the regulatory institutions.

Identity of rogue teachers to be made public

Sweeping changes to how the Ontario College of Teachers deals with verbally, physically and sexually abusive teachers were announced Friday by provincial education minister Laurel Broten.

“Parents deserve to know about teacher discipline,” Broten said Friday, announcing some changes and saying more will come.

The changes were prompted by a Toronto Star investigation published in September. The Star found the identities of bad teachers were often being hidden from the public by decisions of the self-regulatory body set up to protect the public trust. The Star also found that teachers facing charges of sexually abusive behaviour were allowed to avoid a formal public hearing at the College and plead guilty, often to lesser offences and receive a minor penalty, using a dispute resolution process.

Just before the Star published its results, the College quietly announced it had hired retired justice Patrick LeSage to examine how teachers are disciplined. That review is to take until May.

Minister Broten said that, while she supports the LeSage review, parents and the public need change now.

Sounds good to me, and good on the Star for doing some real investigative journalism, which may have a positive impact on young people's safety.

Sensationalist is what it was.

As long as they aren't listing completely innocent teachers convicted of no crime, I'm ok with this.

In 2009-2010, there were 114,386.57 teachers. They were talking about what, around 100 cases a year... even a smaller number of those were serious. So 0.1% of all Teachers in the province have an accusation that is brought up in the OCT. For any workplace, that's extremely good. This few hundred includes theft of school funds, harassing colleagues, being accused of pulling a student away from a fight they were involved in unreasonably(yep, those too lol) and cases that were based onFALSE accusations against the teacher.

Being related to teachers, all a kid has to do is accuse their Teacher of a sexual offense to have them removed from the school and listed as a 'sexual predator risk' by children's aid. This will happen with no trial, no jury and no judge will verify the facts. Children are right, adults are assumed guilty. They won't bring it to court because they know it didn't happen but make a note of guilt in the children's aid database. That should be illegal.

What I found interesting in the Star research was that the most brutal cases were in the Catholic Schools. I want statistics on that to see if it was just a coincidence.

All I can say is that I'm glad that I'm not a teacher. No one has respect for them anymore.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

All I can say is that I'm glad that I'm not a teacher. No one has respect for them anymore.

That is simply not true.

You raise some good points, but in the end, I think parents should have the ability to see what kind of teacher is in the classroom.

The College agrees:

However, College spokesperson Brian Jamieson said the changes Broten announced came from multiple conversations the regulatory body had with the minister and her staff.

“We identified that we could do something in relatively short order that makes sense and is much more accountable to the public,” Jamieson said.

That is simply not true.

You raise some good points, but in the end, I think parents should have the ability to see what kind of teacher is in the classroom.

The College agrees:

http://www.oct.ca/PublicRegister/Default.aspx?lang=en-CA

-> Search the name of any teacher.

You can also use it when your child is in High School to ensure that the teacher of your child is qualified for the specific subject they are teaching. (Important for Math and Tech subjects)

All they need to do is list any required disciplinary action that parents would need to know. If a teacher was found innocent and no action was taken, nothing needs to be shown but if they are reprimanded it could be shown.

Keep in mind, teachers recently received a notice that ANY relationship with the student outside of teacher/student is considered grooming. This included: Talking about your life outside of school, asking about the student's life outside of school.

You can be reprimanded for saying "How was your weekend?" or saying "I took my son swimming on the weekend". It is considered grooming...

They want teachers to be robots, not humans.

In 2009-2010, there were 114,386.57 teachers. They were talking about what, around 100 cases a year... even a smaller number of those were serious. So 0.1% of all Teachers in the province have an accusation that is brought up in the OCT. For any workplace, that's extremely good. This few hundred includes theft of school funds, harassing colleagues, being accused of pulling a student away from a fight they were involved in unreasonably(yep, those too lol) and cases that were based onFALSE accusations against the teacher.

What about all the unreported incident, huh? We need to deal with those.

And I believe there might be lots of them. The kids don't always know what's allowed, or get scared when the teacher has a freakout and attacks them. Verbally, mentally, physically.

What I found interesting in the Star research was that the most brutal cases were in the Catholic Schools. I want statistics on that to see if it was just a coincidence.

I doubt it is a coincidence. I went to both systems. Most of my years was in public school, but for one year I went to the catholic. Man, I tell you I was shocked. Those were brutal animals, vicious. I saw bad things there like I never saw before. And students were equally animal, because that was the whole culture, from the priest principle to the nuns, to the belligerent teachers, to the delinquent students. Went back to public school the next year, it was like everyone was a saint in comparison.

A lot of them are not suitable to be teachers anymore, because they hate the kids. They spend more time with your kids than you do as a parent. They need to keep their attitudes to themselves. Of course they are human beings and some of them can't handle it, they get bitter. Then they are damaging to the student population. I remember more than a few teachers who were major assholes, I tell you. Men and women. That was the education.

What about all the unreported incident, huh? We need to deal with those.

And I believe there might be lots of them. The kids don't always know what's allowed, or get scared when the teacher has a freakout and attacks them. Verbally, mentally, physically.

There likely are unreported cases. I know of one case from when I was a student. The coach of the girls basketball/volleyball team. The girls loved him and talked about how cool he was all the time. He bought them booze, held team parties after school. He eventually went to work at Queens as a coach (where this behaviour is technically legal). Who knows, maybe he was reported and that's why he left.

A lot of them are not suitable to be teachers anymore, because they hate the kids. They spend more time with your kids than you do as a parent. They need to keep their attitudes to themselves. Of course they are human beings and some of them can't handle it, they get bitter. Then they are damaging to the student population. I remember more than a few teachers who were major assholes, I tell you. Men and women. That was the education.

I have heard the saying that "once a teacher reaches a certain age, their pay should start going down". There comes a point where teachers are no longer effective. Not all teachers are bitter, I liked almost all of my teachers.

MCC,

Wait a second - if an accusation just results in the teacher being removed, what does the College do ? Are they removed pending an investigation ?

That seems incorrect to me.

The teacher is suspended until the investigation completes, depending on severity of course. "She called me an idiot." vs assault, harrasment, etc.

My mother-in-law was suspended because a grade 8 who didn't like her, told her parents that my mother-in-law had sent her outside in the winter without a coat as punishment. It never happened, no students corroborated but, the parents kept pushing for justice. No other teacher saw the student out in the cold, since the student would have been immediately send back in to get a jacket. It was in the "cruel and unusual punisment category"

Another incident at my old high school. A teacher scolded kids in the class for using anti-semitic language on a repeated basis. The students got revenge by claiming that the teacher had made sexually suggestive comments to them. The students quoted the teacher as saying modern slang he didn't even understand. He was listed as a sexual predator threat in Children's Aid database and moved to another school. The police were never contacted. There was never even an incident reported with them. He wanted them to report it to the police because then he'd be cleared. Nope, there is a file that labels an innocent man who was simply trying to teach students to be respectful, a sexual predator risk.

And all the system did was teach the kids that it is perfectly ok to lie, cheat, and steal your way to punish someone for trying to get you to be a human being.

Students aren't dumb... we don't give them enough credit. Less experienced, maybe.

They know how to work the system and they do.

They know their desires, and act on them.

I had a friend in High School that really wanted to bang older women. He loved the thought of it. I always thought it was gross and preferred someone closer in age.

All I'm saying is that my friend knew what he wanted. He would have taken the opportunity if it arose.

Students aren't dumb... we don't give them enough credit. Less experienced, maybe.

They know how to work the system and they do.

They know their desires, and act on them.

I had a friend in High School that really wanted to bang older women. He loved the thought of it. I always thought it was gross and preferred someone closer in age.

All I'm saying is that my friend knew what he wanted. He would have taken the opportunity if it arose.

Is that you, Aphonse?

:D

• 2 weeks later...

It is sad that "Education" is largely a State monopoly in Canada.

I had a dentist that I didn't like. I went elsewhere. Fortunately, the cost was covered by my employer's insurance.

-----

Why are parents free to choose their child's doctor or dentist but they cannot choose their child's teacher?

Edited by August1991