Thread for All the Negative Things the Liberals Did as Government

The Canadian Bill of Rights was introduced by a Conservative first in 1960, setting the groundwork for the 1982 repatriation and the Charter.

Which was modeled off a Bill of Rights that was created in Sask by an NDP government. Like it or not the Charter was a baby of all parties.

Edited by punked

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancelling the EH-101.……only to replace the Labs a few years later with the Cormorant……Then picking the Cyclone out of pure optics, instead of the EH-101 as the Sea King replacement…..

Disbanding the Airborne Regiment under the guise of punishment over the Somalia affair.

You forgot that they shut down the inquiry into this affair the moment it started to reach above the level of field officers towards DND officialdom - some of which had close ties to the party.

Sending our troops, post 9/11, to Afghanistan poorly equipped

The Liberals were always eager to offer up Canadian soldiers for duties abroad but loath to actually support them, especially financially. The military was starved of funding during the Chretien era despite large suprluses. So were a number of other programs.

The Chretien government presided over the deterioration of Canadian society, the rise of violence, illiteracy, homelessness, the fall of health care competence, and general social welfare. Once the deficit was tamed the Chretienites seemed to feel their work was done, and retired from the field. However, they insisted on remaining in office, even while doing nothing but coasting along.

I never hated PM Chrétien , the same way some appear to hate PM Harper, and in the end I disagreed strongly with some of his polices and decisions,

I dislike braggadocio in politicians. Chretien was a swaggering braggart, dishonest, and corrupt to boot. That shady business of forcing the government's business development bank to 'loan' money to a crooked ex con so he could buy the hotel in Shawinigan so that, in turn, Chretien could be repaid was worse, to my mind, than the sponsorship scandal. The money was never repaid. The man Chretien sold it to was acquitted of arson in attempting to burn it down.

And given Tony Clement's largesse in his riding is still under scrutiny, Chretien's generosity to Shawinigan was legendary, and dwarfed anything Clement could have dreamed of. It included art galleries, fountains in the river, and moving federal jobs there from Ottawa. In fact, it always seemed to me that Chretien was largely uninterested in English Canada, except insofar as there was a need to control it in order to benefit himself, his friends, and Quebec.

When in France once, he spoke of how French-Canadians had been humiliated by the English, and how he was getting his revenge by ensuring that French Canadians were in charge of almost every important governmental job, from Governor General to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

So just kick back and accept the corruption folks. It's inevitable.

No, I don't think that works until the level of corruption begins to approach that seen of the alternative. And frankly, I've seen no evidence of corruption from the governing Tories. The worst I've seen by far is that patronage nonsense with Tony Clement. Thus far the Tories have been largely competent. Their patronage has been at an acceptable level. And there's been precious little evidence they have been enriching themselves at the public's expense.

IF you keep looking in the rear view mirror, you won't see what coming towards you! No one here says the Liberals were perfect and didn't make mistakes but reality is this moment, now, and the conservative/reform/alliance/party are in power and who ever is in the PMO deserves any criticism from Canadians. So if you don't like what is being said then you have the right to put out your point of view, but please let cut the personal attacks, its so Tory style, of having nothing to say.

My thoughts:

1. Budget overruns for launching long gun registry.

2. Stasis and inertia over a decade in power, with very little reform.

3. Corruption scandals. ( With #2, this is even more reprehensible. )

Chretien changed pretty quickly once he became PM. Does anyone remember that his 1985 autobiography was called "Straight from the Heart" ? That's because he was seem as a humble and honest man, a straightforward hard working Quebec federalist ...

Does anybody remember the Red book ??

They capitalized on the Tory miscue to make fun of his looks (!) during the election of 1993 and Chretien became the man we know him as today.

No, I don't think that works until the level of corruption begins to approach that seen of the alternative. And frankly, I've seen no evidence of corruption from the governing Tories. The worst I've seen by far is that patronage nonsense with Tony Clement. Thus far the Tories have been largely competent. Their patronage has been at an acceptable level. And there's been precious little evidence they have been enriching themselves at the public's expense.

Oh... you're serious.

The Liberals are not the party that was in power 15 years ago.

Oh... you're serious.

The Liberals are not the party that was in power 15 years ago.

CC, right now the Liberals aren't much of anything! We'll have to wait and see how they look when (and if!) they get their act together!

They pretended to balance the budget by cutting transfer payments and gutting the provinces/municipalities of funds in the 90s.

But being the fair and balanced person that I am, I have to point out one significant achievement: the Libs gave hope and encouragement to developmentally disabled persons across the land with their relentless employment of Sheila Copps. She proved that an ambitious moron can rise to be Deputy PM and Cabinet Minsiter

Calling an elected MPs riding and saying he is retiring while at the same time inserting your own unelected person into doing an MPs job in that riding is beyond despicable and then justifying it by saying spreading speculation is not wrong...just WOW and even the PM said that broke no rules

That is enough to offend any Canadian into never voting for the Cons for another decade

This was endorsed by the Prime Minister for f***sakes

I'll never forgive the Liberals for their hand in the mismanagement of our west coast fisheries and I'll never forgive the Conservatives for following suit.

The people I really reserve my greatest disgust for though are voters who vacillate between these like someone with a case of never-ending diarrhea and vomiting.

I feel like I'm getting the government someone else deserves.

The thing is that people on the right don't consider these things "scandals", they conisder them "politics", and business as usual for bureaucrats and government employees in general.

The reason we don't care about these "scandals" is because we know that any other party will have similar "scandals".

The conservatives are the only ones who talk about reducing the size of government, and therefore the potential scope of these "scandals". The other parties want more regulations and government which will result in more misappropriated funds etc.

We don't condone these scandals, but we accept that they are politics as usual.

We don't bring up the liberals to condone the conservatives, but rather to demonstrate that every government does these types of things.

You aren't going to convince us to vote for higher corporate taxes, and capping credit card interest rates, and all the other NDP nanny state ideas by arguing "maybe if you elect us we won't misappropriate funds.. We may raise taxes, but we promise not to waste the extra revenue!!"

The thing is that people on the right don't consider these things "scandals", they conisder them "politics", and business as usual for bureaucrats and government employees in general.

The reason we don't care about these "scandals" is because we know that any other party will have similar "scandals".

The conservatives are the only ones who talk about reducing the size of government, and therefore the potential scope of these "scandals". The other parties want more regulations and government which will result in more misappropriated funds etc.

We don't bring up the liberals to condone the conservatives, but rather to demonstrate that every government does these types of things.

You aren't going to convince us to vote for higher corporate taxes, and capping credit card interest rates, and all the other NDP nanny state ideas by arguing "maybe if you elect us we won't misappropriate funds.. We may raise taxes, but we promise not to waste the extra revenue!!"

Did you get that off the brochure,or something???

Scandal-plagued Tories become the new Liberals

Chris Selley and the National Post disagree with you, including the use of the word 'scandal.'

:lol:

See Chris Selley and the National Post, above.

See Chris... oh nevermind.

LOFL!

God? PLEASE! Bring back the Progressive Conservatives!

Edited by Shwa