Obama snubbing Harper again?

When will Canada demand respect from the US? Canada should go on strike!!

http://m.ctv.ca/toronto/20111207/Harper_border_security_deal_Obama-111207.html

While Canadian news outlets were doing a full-court press to cover the new border deal with the United States, it appears that the response south of the border could better be defined as "meh."

Stephen Harper met U.S. President Barack Obama at the White House Wednesday afternoon, but there was no pomp and ceremony planned – no state dinner and apparently no photo op in the Oval Office.

As well, a search of two major U.S. newspapers - The New York Times and Washington Post - yields nary a word about Harper's visit.

But for navel-gazing Canadians, at least the Times was still playing up its recent story on NHL tough guys and brain injuries.

On CNN's website, Obama's schedule is posted, noting a 2:15 p.m. "bilateral meeting" with Harper followed by statements from the two at 3 p.m., before Obama heads off to a campaign event at 4:35 p.m.

A White House agenda posted online simply states "the (Oval Office) meeting is closed press."

That led Washington's WTOP Radio political commentator Mark Plotkin to suggest to CTV News Channel the prime minister was apparently given a choice between an Oval Office photo op, or public statements with the president afterward.

Andrew MacDougall, associate director of communications with the PMO, declined to answer whether Harper was given a choice, but did reply in an email to CTVNews.ca confirming meeting times.

But Plotkin decried his country's apathy toward its northern neighbour.

"This is the same country that seems to be continually snubbed by this president," he said.

"I must wonder why no state dinner for this prime minister? They had a state dinner for Mexico – nothing for Canada. I think you're treated quite shabbily by this administration," he said.

Does Mexico get better treatment because of the large Hispanic voting community in the U.S.? Do the Democrats play up this connection?

If there's any political gain in today's announcement for Obama, who faces an election in 2012, it's telling America he's tough on border security in the south and north, Plotkin added.

That aside, he said Harper's visit is still being treated like a diplomatic and political "quickie."

"There is no fanfare, there is no buzz, there is not even information that he is here in this city," he said.

"Why do you stand for it?" he added, exasperated.

Of course, this is small in the US because for it to be bigger it takes Congress to agree on the money and right now money is a problem in the US. There's a election coming up and that takes center stage, so nothing that Harper wants from the US is going to get done until after nov.2012. This is why most of this stuff is "pilot projects", congress has to agree to them and Congress isn't in a agreeable mood with this president. Besides, Harper is losing the respect of the world and has been.

Harper has not ingratiated himself towards other countries. Perhaps It is unseemly to be seen to be cozying up with Harper. Not sure this is just a one way street.... Maybe Harper isn't much fun to have over for dinner. Seems like a pretty dull guy.... I'm not sure we need to worry too much about it.....

Obama actually liking Harper says more about Obama's character than any right-wing-religious-nutbar on a rant about where Obama was born ever could....

My faith in Obama has been rocked to its core!!! :o

He actually likes him???? How? Why?

Edited by The_Squid

Guest American Woman

Obama actually liking Harper says more about Obama's character than any right-wing-religious-nutbar on a rant about where Obama was born ever could....

My faith in Obama has been rocked to its core!!! :o

He actually likes him???? How? Why?

It sounds as if they share a genuine friendship: During one meeting, the Prime Minister told the President: “We should do something together.”

And

Mr. Obama has told American reporters that he considers Mr. Harper one of the ablest leaders he has met.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

how much press was this given in the US AW?

This is your title: Obama snubbing Harper again?

Obviously they are on very friendly terms. Obviously Obama is not "snubbing Harper," never mind "again." Obviously Obama thinks very highly of Harper.

As for how much press this was given in the U.S., it's not something I would ever pay any attention to, just as I would give absolutely no attention to how much press it was given in Canada if Obama had met with Harper there.

Why does this matter to you? Seriously.

When will Canada demand respect from the US? Canada should go on strike!!

http://m.ctv.ca/toronto/20111207/Harper_border_security_deal_Obama-111207.html

While Canadian news outlets were doing a full-court press to cover the new border deal with the United States, it appears that the response south of the border could better be defined as "meh."

Stephen Harper met U.S. President Barack Obama at the White House Wednesday afternoon, but there was no pomp and ceremony planned – no state dinner and apparently no photo op in the Oval Office.

As well, a search of two major U.S. newspapers - The New York Times and Washington Post - yields nary a word about Harper's visit.

But for navel-gazing Canadians, at least the Times was still playing up its recent story on NHL tough guys and brain injuries.

On CNN's website, Obama's schedule is posted, noting a 2:15 p.m. "bilateral meeting" with Harper followed by statements from the two at 3 p.m., before Obama heads off to a campaign event at 4:35 p.m.

A White House agenda posted online simply states "the (Oval Office) meeting is closed press."

That led Washington's WTOP Radio political commentator Mark Plotkin to suggest to CTV News Channel the prime minister was apparently given a choice between an Oval Office photo op, or public statements with the president afterward.

Andrew MacDougall, associate director of communications with the PMO, declined to answer whether Harper was given a choice, but did reply in an email to CTVNews.ca confirming meeting times.

But Plotkin decried his country's apathy toward its northern neighbour.

"This is the same country that seems to be continually snubbed by this president," he said.

"I must wonder why no state dinner for this prime minister? They had a state dinner for Mexico – nothing for Canada. I think you're treated quite shabbily by this administration," he said.

Does Mexico get better treatment because of the large Hispanic voting community in the U.S.? Do the Democrats play up this connection?

If there's any political gain in today's announcement for Obama, who faces an election in 2012, it's telling America he's tough on border security in the south and north, Plotkin added.

That aside, he said Harper's visit is still being treated like a diplomatic and political "quickie."

"There is no fanfare, there is no buzz, there is not even information that he is here in this city," he said.

"Why do you stand for it?" he added, exasperated.

Oh, too funny. Uncle Stevie not being served his din-din at the White House. This is meaty stuff to be sure. Notwithstanding what we may think of ourselves, in the scheme of things we're a blip on the U.S. radar screen--and the Yankee administration believes we should be damn grateful for that. So let us stop our whining and give thanks to the fairy god.

If we ever had real autonomy from the U.S. I'd be surprised. But it's for damn sure, we don't have it now. When Obama wants Stevie, he reels him in and when he's done he removes the hook and pops the "little" guy back into to the water to swim home. Uncle Stevie is obviously unperturbed by this, so I'm guessing he's getting what he wants out of the relationship. And let's face it, isn't that what really counts? Just as Georgie had and has great disdain for the American plebes, Uncle Stevie thinks pretty much the same about us. Why, we're nothing but a bunch of orphans flailing about, giving our opinions and hoping that we will be heard. Gawd, we ARE a pitiful lot. Still this orphan Annie gots her priorities and I dunt give a whit about how Uncle Stevie gets treated south of the border.

As for the border deal,the hackles on the back of my neck spike and I wince whenever government tells me that its latest agreement with the U.S. will be in this country's best interests. Ohgoodgawd, where does it all end. Trust me, we don't want to know!!

if it wasnt a snub why was harper never given supper? everytime the mexican pres is there there is a big supper and plenty of photo ops

Maybe Harper declined or had other plans? Maybe a tempest in a tea pot.

Maybe the White house was out of Canadian wine or pea meal bacon....who really gives a shit.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the sale of Petro Canada to Suncor was a bad move by the federal govt. It gave up any sort of leverage Harper would have had to the US and Obama Administration. So I would say that Obama would not give Harper any special treatment what so ever. While Canada sleeps on the sidelines and basically has no say in the keystone pipeline, Alberta has a newly appointed premier who has no idea what is going on.

The fact that the keytone pipeline is delayed is good news. As an Albertan and Canadian, why would we ship our bitumen down south??? why not sanction additional upgraders by the EUB and retain more of the investing and projects within Alberta. We have the secure energy source. We are not obligated to ship any oil through these means. We already have a demand from Asia. We should be looking at ways that we can continue to refine the raw bitumen locally, instead of placing it into a pipeline to Texas.

The Federal gov't needs to create another Petro-Canada for this reason, this is for the future generations of Albertans and fellow Canadians, its time for the "leaders' in the provincial and federal assembly to look at the big picture, and not be a puppet for American oil conglomerates. It is our resource and we should dictate how things operate, look at Venezuela- at least I admire Chavez stance in making sure that the resource is not exploited by American business.

As a Canadian, I strongly encourage you to write to your member of pariliament to voice these concerns..

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Harper declined or had other plans? Maybe a tempest in a tea pot.

Maybe the White house was out of Canadian wine or pea meal bacon....who really gives a shit.

I know, this is an old post, but, Harper is not the head of state of Canada. Calderone is the head of state, and when there is a state dinner, it's because he's on a state visit. Harper was simply on a working visit, though he could have probably at some point arranged an official visit, which is somewhat similar to a state visit.

Edited by Smallc

keystone xl was denied by the whitehouse today

they really should just run the thing next to interstates set up microrefineries and gas stations along the way.

Transcanada operates a massive gas pipeline in my backyard, there security seems lack as I've seen vandalism on their lines.. someone I beleive used a sledge hammer against some of their equipment (I did claim the sledgehammer though as it was clearly discarded and left for an extended period of time.. but what type of person would leave evidence or their prints on something related to the line being damged??) - sort of stupid but who throws a perfectly good sledgehammer into the woods?) and tossed it in the forest, however I think it was local miners who had claims in the area and their claim got cut in half by the pipeline... I could be wrong but other meters were tampered with in the area. I don't even think transcanada was aware their wires were spliced, they did fix what I think was the sled

ge damage well they staked it anyway.

None the less I think remote areas have a high probability of being compramized due to lax security you don't want these things in sensitive areas... having them next to highwas however makes cleanup easier.

note this was a few months after the winter explosion of perhaps transcanada pump at beardmore a hundred or so km from the area I hike in. (I was down south at school at the time as I'm only up north in the summer but hike extensively out there and around the rail and pipeline so I see anything out of place up there and there s a lot of weird stuff up there that won't go into detail on here nothing extreme but I'm highly suspcious of intentional stuff gong on in northern ontario to influence the state of affairs in regard to us interests. as well as potential sabatouge of transcanada's gas line.) which could be related to keystone xl or transcanadas reputation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/02/20/pipeline-explosion.html

their lines are not secure.

some of their stations do have sensors though..

Edited by William Ashley

I know, this is an old post, but, Harper is not the head of state of Canada. Calderone is the head of state, and when there is a state dinner, it's because he's on a state visit. Harper was simply on a working visit, though he could have probably at some point arranged an official visit, which is somewhat similar to a state visit.

Isn't Johnston the Head of State? Cameron is no more a Head of State than Harper. I assume you mean Cameron, not "Calderone".

Isn't Johnston the Head of State? Cameron is no more a Head of State than Harper. I assume you mean Cameron, not "Calderone".

Queen Elizabeth II is Canada's head of state. Regardless, I'm pretty sure smallc means Calderone, the President of Mexico, who likely receives higher precedence and accordant treatment since, as a president, he's a visiting head of state, as opposed to Harper, who's simply a prime minister.