Cons don't want to track guns but will track YOU

All of this for 40,000 people is not necessary. I mean, most of us aren't criminals so we don't need to be tracked and don't need for anyone to notify anyone we're going to the U.S...no way in hell will Harper get away with this!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/06/weston-border-deal-exit.html

The federal government has lost track of more than 40,000 failed refugee claimants ordered deported from Canada up to 15 years ago, and who may still be wandering the streets illegally.

Similarly, at any given time, there are about 300,000 foreign workers, students and visitors in the country on temporary visas, but the government has no accurate way of knowing how many are here illegally after their permits expired.

In both cases, the problem is the same: Canada has no exit monitoring at the border.

While everyone arriving in Canada has to be checked, cleared and registered, travellers can drive across the border into the U.S. without telling anyone in this country that they are leaving.

Ditto for travellers leaving the U.S. and entering Canada – the American border service generally has no record of their leaving that country.

The Canadian immigration department says that while there are currently outstanding deportation warrants for 40,815 failed refugee claimants who have been ordered kicked out of the country, no one really knows how many have already left on their own.

One senior immigration official describes the situation as "massive and not getting any better."

That should change in the near future.

Exit controls a key feature

CBC News has learned a new system of exit controls is the key feature of a proposed Canada-U.S. border deal intended to make trade and travel easier between the two countries.

Sad.

Personal freedom under the veil of gun rights is a tragedy when the same party wants to track people without just cause.

I guess if I never leave the country I won't be tracked on exit.

Don't they also want the right to track people online?

Iron fisted dictatorship of a government if you ask me.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

One person's iron fisted dictatorship is another person's safe and comfy "homeland." (well except for the Aboriginals) But, of course, the present government isn't a dictatorship and any suggesting of that is in jest I am sure.

But the iron fisted part, well, the jury is still out on that. Is it a sign of the times? This deeply rooted, cynical brand of social politics?

First you make the public afraid, then you make them safe, then you get re-elected. Repeate step 1.

The Stephen Harper Government - Making all of our dooms comes true.

One person's iron fisted dictatorship is another person's safe and comfy "homeland." (well except for the Aboriginals) But, of course, the present government isn't a dictatorship and any suggesting of that is in jest I am sure.

But the iron fisted part, well, the jury is still out on that. Is it a sign of the times? This deeply rooted, cynical brand of social politics?

First you make the public afraid, then you make them safe, then you get re-elected. Repeate step 1.

The Stephen Harper Government - Making all of our dooms comes true.

Meant more as in how they conduct themselves and the parallels between their actions and how dictatorships keep a stranglehold of control. Obviously we can vote them out next election but, their conduct does not represent that of an ethical democratic political party.

In the modern world, we keep losing freedoms under the guise of public security. Right wing parties are at the forefront, initiating and trumpeting these policies.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Funny how the OP very clearly spelled out the reason for the much needed exit tracking, yet the lefties still took it as an occasion to bash the Conservatives as being oppressive.

Frankly, my reaction exactly the opposite. What I want to know is why the hell are we not already doing this? Our border and Customs officials (both at the actual border and in Ottawa) have been asleep at the switch to allow this to go on, IMO. We need to know when people who were supposed to leave actually do. We need to know if people who are NOT supposed to leave the country try to, and we need to know if there is a crisis somewhere in the world wether or not there are Canadians there who need our help.

In these deregulated times where capital and corporations are encouraged to come and go across borders as freely they please in search of better opportunities it seems unconscionable that we should be beefing up restrictions that limit the rights of Earthlings to do the same.

Sad.

Personal freedom under the veil of gun rights is a tragedy when the same party wants to track people without just cause.

I guess if I never leave the country I won't be tracked on exit.

Don't they also want the right to track people online?

It's "Iron fisted dictatorship " to find out which UI collectors are going to the States to work while collecting Pogy?

That's defrauding not only every UI premium payer but also depriving a US citizen of the job the offender does.

Funny how the OP very clearly spelled out the reason for the much needed exit tracking, yet the lefties still took it as an occasion to bash the Conservatives as being oppressive.

Frankly, my reaction exactly the opposite. What I want to know is why the hell are we not already doing this? Our border and Customs officials (both at the actual border and in Ottawa) have been asleep at the switch to allow this to go on, IMO. We need to know when people who were supposed to leave actually do. We need to know if people who are NOT supposed to leave the country try to, and we need to know if there is a crisis somewhere in the world wether or not there are Canadians there who need our help.

Bend over, pull down your pants and close your eyes

this will hurt

All of this for 40,000 people is not necessary. I mean, most of us aren't criminals so we don't need to be tracked

If that statement was about the long gun registry, it would start, "All of this for 12 homicides a year." And the "Cons" are still tracking guns... just not long guns, that criminals don't use.