The Defacto Official NFL Thead (was 'Tim Tebow WTH?')

Shwa

I liked watching Tebow play at Florida, even though - as a whole - I hated the team. (long story short: I hate anything Florida or Texas when it comes to football)

So the kid ends up in Denver, by all rights is a below average starter QB, what with his stellar 50% completion rate and bottom of the rung QB rating, but lookit, the kid wins.

Tebow leads Broncos to 16-13 OT win over Chargers

And he's lucky too.

So Elway is waiting for the bubble to burst, NFL Countdown is waiting for the bubble to burst, Keyshawn is waiting for Tebow himself to burst, but the kid keeps on winning.

Is his play sustainable? I mean he ran 22 times yesterday. 22 times!

How long will Tebow last? Put your predictions here...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked watching Tebow play at Florida, even though - as a whole - I hated the team. (long story short: I hate anything Florida or Texas when it comes to football)

So the kid ends up in Denver, by all rights is a below average starter QB, what with his stellar 50% completion rate and bottom of the rung QB rating, but lookit, the kid wins.

Tebow leads Broncos to 16-13 OT win over Chargers

And he's lucky too.

So Elway is waiting for the bubble to burst, NFL Countdown is waiting for the bubble to burst, Keyshawn is waiting for Tebow himself to burst, but the kid keeps on winning.

Is his play sustainable? I mean he ran 22 times yesterday. 22 times!

How long will Tebow last? Put your predictions here...

Ask yourself this...

Why do we never see a consistent Veer offence at the professional level??

I don't think he can continue,long term,running the ball...

By the way,I understand disliking Florida and Miami,buy Florida State under Bobby Bowden is alot like Penn State's rise under Paterno...

And everything Texas college ball???

:lol: at the Tebow hating. :rolleyes:

Arguably the most accomplished College QB in history.

Tebow is a great leader and this team is rallying around him. Kyle Orton couldn't get this exact same team to do the same stuff.

The more he plays the better he'll get. Perhaps he's a full back playing QB, but he's good at what he does. The more he wins the less likely the team will be able to draft an elite QB to replace him BTW.

People have to acknowledge that much of the praise and/or disgust that surrounds him is because of his faith. People love him cuz he's a hardcore Christian, and people hate him cuz of it too.

Ask yourself this...

Why do we never see a consistent Veer offence at the professional level??

I don't think he can continue,long term,running the ball...

By the way,I understand disliking Florida and Miami,buy Florida State under Bobby Bowden is alot like Penn State's rise under Paterno...

And everything Texas college ball???

Everything Texas. When they can come up and play in the snow and/or freezing gunk for a consistent period of time, I will respect them...

That is the thing, with the option and him taking the ball so often. Does he have the body to take that sort of punishment on a regular basis until his passing improves? I figured the Broncos would draft him, let him learn the pro game on the sidelines for a bunch of years a al Rogers and then, when his passing is up to respectability, bring him in, try him out. But in the crapshoot NFL, where a decent QB can make or break a team (the pathetic Colts, biggest story of the year) this kid is doing what shouldn't be happening.

:lol: at the Tebow hating. :rolleyes:

Arguably the most accomplished College QB in history.

Tebow is a great leader and this team is rallying around him. Kyle Orton couldn't get this exact same team to do the same stuff.

The more he plays the better he'll get. Perhaps he's a full back playing QB, but he's good at what he does. The more he wins the less likely the team will be able to draft an elite QB to replace him BTW.

People have to acknowledge that much of the praise and/or disgust that surrounds him is because of his faith. People love him cuz he's a hardcore Christian, and people hate him cuz of it too.

Well to be honest, I could care less about his religion.

He reminds me a JaMarcus Russell and where is he at? And Russell could throw the ball too.

Yeah I did hear about the elite QB conundrum, but what can you do?

Boges has it right-- most of the hype around Tebow is a result of his prominent displays of religion on the field. Without that publicity, few would care about him either way.

I don't think a quarterback can make a career of running the ball and handing it off. A team can only go so far with bottom-of-the-barrel passing. Tebow might improve at that, and he'll have to. On the bright side, he doesn't turn the ball over.

On the subject of his religion: I have read that he blew almost all of his $2.5 million signing bonus in the first week... he gave almost all of it to charities that help people in 3rd-world countries. He kept just enough for himself to make a down-payment on an apartment. I respect that a lot. It was easy to sneer at a guy who makes a showy prayer after a touchdown, but knowing that he sank almost all of that money into trying to help people changed my perspective. It's easy to laugh at pro athletes who think that God cares about touchdowns and home runs when millions of children are starving... but I think that Tebow is probably not praying for touchdowns when he kneels down.

-k

Tebow is by no means a great passing QB. However, the kid is a winner and hard worker. He knows he has deficiencies but he will work as hard as humanly possible to improve. People thought he was done after the Detroit beat down. His resiliency has paid off. I'm not a Broncos fan, but I find myself watching their games because I'm curious to see how Tebow does. I wish him all the best. He is truly a great human being.

BTW regarding Shwa's haterade for Texas and Florida schools, I'm curious why. It can't be just because of weather. Texas and Florida are 1 and 1a for football talent in the US.

Who cares if they don't play in the North. In the NFL maybe half or less of the teams play in environments where it gets cold. And of those teams they only realistically can see a really cold-weather game for less than half the season. I haven't seen a snow game in the NFL this year.

You have a QB like Drew Brees who went to Purdue, a cold weather school, but when he won the Super Bowl he never played outdoors. They were saying that about the Saints last night, to win this year they'll have to beat the Packers in Lambeau.

The best play for Southern schools. Who wants to go to school in Columbus or Ann Arbour when you can play in SoCal or Florida or Austin Texas.

The last "Northern" School to win a National title was Ohio State in 2002 (and that was a shocking win) The last northern school to even make a title was Oregon last year and I've never seen them play in the snow. The SEC has won the last 6 titles and before that it was Texas and USC.

Everything Texas. When they can come up and play in the snow and/or freezing gunk for a consistent period of time, I will respect them...

That is the thing, with the option and him taking the ball so often. Does he have the body to take that sort of punishment on a regular basis until his passing improves? I figured the Broncos would draft him, let him learn the pro game on the sidelines for a bunch of years a al Rogers and then, when his passing is up to respectability, bring him in, try him out. But in the crapshoot NFL, where a decent QB can make or break a team (the pathetic Colts, biggest story of the year) this kid is doing what shouldn't be happening.

I don't know?

In most Veer offences,the QB is basically another running back and gets hit on literally every offensive play because he's either a decoy or carrying the ball.The exception to that rule is the kid playing QB at Georgia Tech right now because,not only can he run,he has a very strong arm.

I'm not ceratin that Tebow is physaclly built to take that type of punishment in the NFL,and up until now,he has'nt shown the arm strength to off set that problem.You can't deny the guy's winning football games on an otherwise fairly mediocre football team,however,and it seems his teamates have "bought in".

It also helps he plays in a very weak division,at the moment(other than Oakland)

I don't know?

In most Veer offences,the QB is basically another running back and gets hit on literally every offensive play because he's either a decoy or carrying the ball.The exception to that rule is the kid playing QB at Georgia Tech right now because,not only can he run,he has a very strong arm.

I'm not ceratin that Tebow is physaclly built to take that type of punishment in the NFL,and up until now,he has'nt shown the arm strength to off set that problem.You can't deny the guy's winning football games on an otherwise fairly mediocre football team,however,and it seems his teamates have "bought in".

It also helps he plays in a very weak division,at the moment(other than Oakland)

He beat Oakland. . . Running the ball.

You're acting like he throws like a girl. Something that Bill Maher stupidly said after the Lions game. He's made some good throws.

When I've seen Denver play they're clearly not trying to make him do stuff that he's not comfortable doing.

And BTW have you seen him? I'm sure he can take hits as well as any running back, dood is built like a tank.

Edited by Boges

He beat Oakland. . . Running the ball.

You're acting like he throws like a girl. Something that Bill Maher said after the Lions game. He's made some good throws.

When I've seen Denver play they're clearly not trying to make him do stuff that he's not comfortable doing.

And BTW have you seen him? I'm sure he can take hits as well as any running back, dood is built like a tank.

I did'nt say he throws like a girl...But lets face the facts,he ain't no Drew Brees,either...

Again,beating Oakland is'nt that geat a feat...The AFC West is a very weak division this year.And I've seen him play,and the Denver OC is definately managing the game re. passing the ball situationally.That should tell you that his passing game is limiting that offence.I suppose it does'nt help Tebow that Denver does'nt have the worlds greatest receiving corps.,so he has to be more improvisational.

I don't care if he's built like a tank...No QB can hold up over 16 games taking the physical punishment he will certainly have to working within the offensive system Tebow currently is working in...16 games,let alone a career...

I did'nt say he throws like a girl...But lets face the facts,he ain't no Drew Brees,either...

Again,beating Oakland is'nt that geat a feat...The AFC West is a very weak division this year.And I've seen him play,and the Denver OC is definately managing the game re. passing the ball situationally.That should tell you that his passing game is limiting that offence.I suppose it does'nt help Tebow that Denver does'nt have the worlds greatest receiving corps.,so he has to be more improvisational.

I don't care if he's built like a tank...No QB can hold up over 16 games taking the physical punishment he will certainly have to working within the offensive system Tebow currently is working in...16 games,let alone a career...

No different than that of a Running back.

Hogwash...

If that were the case we would see Veer offences all over professional football...

We don't!

Pads are different...Physicalities are different...Skill sets are different...

If Tebow ultimately ends up failing as a QB I guarantee you'll see him on an NFL roster as a back of some kind.

If he could catch he'd be a great Tight End.

BTW regarding Shwa's haterade for Texas and Florida schools, I'm curious why. It can't be just because of weather. Texas and Florida are 1 and 1a for football talent in the US.

Who cares if they don't play in the North. In the NFL maybe half or less of the teams play in environments where it gets cold. And of those teams they only realistically can see a really cold-weather game for less than half the season. I haven't seen a snow game in the NFL this year.

You have a QB like Drew Brees who went to Purdue, a cold weather school, but when he won the Super Bowl he never played outdoors. They were saying that about the Saints last night, to win this year they'll have to beat the Packers in Lambeau.

The best play for Southern schools. Who wants to go to school in Columbus or Ann Arbour when you can play in SoCal or Florida or Austin Texas.

The last "Northern" School to win a National title was Ohio State in 2002 (and that was a shocking win) The last northern school to even make a title was Oregon last year and I've never seen them play in the snow. The SEC has won the last 6 titles and before that it was Texas and USC.

Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana. Etc.

I like tough football, played by tough players in tough conditions.

Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana. Etc.

I like tough football, played by tough players in tough conditions.

By December most College football in a northern climate is finished. You rarely see college games in the snow.

I've only seen one this season and it was a Rutgers game in that freak snow storm in the New York area.

You could also consider playing in Florida or Texas on a Saturday afternoon in early September as extreme conditions.

Edited by Boges

I don't know?

That's the thing: how long can he last playing against those monster D guys, even on blocking plays? It will all add up. Of course, I was thinking that it might have added up at this point, but he seems to be going along pretty good.

But unless his arm improves, I can't see him going past 5 years, if that.

By December most College football in a northern climate is finished. You rarely see college games in the snow.

I've only seen one this season and it was a Rutgers game in that freak snow storm in the New York area.

You could also consider playing in Florida or Texas on a Saturday afternoon in early September as extreme conditions.

Snow? Is that the only criteria you can identify as northern? :rolleyes:

(but I do like the Sooners and Cowboys in Oklahoma. They are northern-like)

That's the thing: how long can he last playing against those monster D guys, even on blocking plays? It will all add up. Of course, I was thinking that it might have added up at this point, but he seems to be going along pretty good.

But unless his arm improves, I can't see him going past 5 years, if that.

Jesus will protect him. :D

He played two weeks after getting this hit. ;)

Another win!

This time he had to make some clutch throws to keep pace. Denver didn't have Von Miller, their great defensive prospect in the lineup and until a late Christian Ponder INT, the Bronks Defense looked really bad.

3 of the last 4 games on Tebow's schedule are totally winnable. Dood is making the playoffs. Raiders got but raped in Miami today and they have Detroit and Green Bay on their schedule.

Denver plays Chicago and their really bad back-up QB, New England and their really bad secondary. And to round out the season horrible Buffalo and KC.

Edited by Boges

Another win!

This time he had to make some clutch throws to keep pace. Denver didn't have Von Miller, their great defensive prospect in the lineup and until a late Christian Ponder INT, the Bronks Defense looked really bad.

3 of the last 4 games on Tebow's schedule are totally winnable. Dood is making the playoffs. Raiders got but raped in Miami today and they have Detroit and Green Bay on their schedule.

Denver plays Chicago and their really bad back-up QB, New England and their really bad secondary. And to round out the season horrible Buffalo and KC.

Chicago doesn't have forte as well, Uh oh!!!

Another win!

Yes, the Denver defence was so bad that they forced a fumble (for which Tebow then went 3 and out) and scored the first touchdown of the game. All in the first quarter.

Yes, the Denver defence was so bad that they forced a fumble (for which Tebow then went 3 and out) and scored the first touchdown of the game. All in the first quarter.

Tebow So he had a slow first half. That's his MO in every game he's won this season.

Did you see the throws he made in the second half? For every TD he was responsible for, Christian Ponder took the ball right down the field and met the challenge.

In the second last drive Tebow threw an totally catchable TD Pass that was dropped. The drive ended with the tying FG. Then the Defense won the game with the late INT.

BTW for people who like to mock Tebow's stats.

10 TDs 1 INT. ;)

10 TDs 1 INT.

Mind you, it was against the terrible Vikings, but his stats were decent yesterday:

10/15, 66% for 202 yards including a 42 yarder. Seriously, his passing is improving. Over the past 5 games he is getting better.