Fox News Viewers Know Less Than Those Who Don't Watch Any News

cybercoma

Alberta, solid. Sask under brad wall unemployment at 4%.

Trudeau well do we need to say anymore, then there's our best friend Quebec.

Mulroney put in policies that slayer the deficit and the interest payments from Trudeau kept Mulroney in deficit. Mulroney understood to get a free trade agreement which is the cornerstone of our economy. Heck your leftist friends held parliament hostage so that we have this massive do nothing stimulus.

I like the track record of the Tories on economics, and judging by the 2011 enough Canadians to give a majority gov't.

Stupid is as stupid does.

And now that Jack Layton is dead, the NDP will not be a force in the next election. It's Tory all the way.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alberta, solid. Sask under brad wall unemployment at 4%.

alberta hasrepeated deficits, sask was in good financial shape when wall took office from the ndp, the wealth of both provinces is due to resource wealth not conservative governments...
Trudeau well do we need to say anymore, then there's our best friend Quebec.
irrelevant deflection it's the myth of conservative financial competence that is being challenged not the trudeau liberals...
Mulroney put in policies that slayer the deficit and the interest payments from Trudeau kept Mulroney in deficit.
mulroney grew the deficit past what trudeau did, paul martin in the liberal years got the deficit under control not a conservative government, so when was the last time a conservative federal government had no deficit? not in my lifetime...since the second ww every conservative government has had growing deficits, not one posted a surplus...if i'm wrong please point out the exception...
I like the track record of the Tories on economics, and judging by the 2011 enough Canadians to give a majority gov't.
a tory record of failure? you share the same delusion as 39% of canadians, economic geniuses who didn't see the recession coming when the warning bells were going off all around the world....
Stupid is as stupid does.

truely, conservative financial competence is unsubstantiated myth...

alberta hasrepeated deficits, sask was in good financial shape when wall took office from the ndp, the wealth of both provinces is due to resource wealth not conservative governments...

irrelevant deflection it's the myth of conservative financial competence that is being challenged not the trudeau liberals...

mulroney grew the deficit past what trudeau did, paul martin in the liberal years got the deficit under control not a conservative government, so when was the last time a conservative federal government had no deficit? not in my lifetime...since the second ww every conservative government has had growing deficits, not one posted a surplus...if i'm wrong please point out the exception...

a tory record of failure? you share the same delusion as 39% of canadians, economic geniuses who didn't see the recession coming when the warning bells were going off all around the world....

truely, conservative financial competence is unsubstantiated myth...

And the conservative ralph klien fixed alberta's finances when oil prices were at near rock bottom prices. Wall made royalties more competitive and took some business from Alberta. Wall just destroyed his NDP counterpart.

It's not an irrelevant deflection. Trudeau was the worst fiscal manager in history. Mulroney, not only had to deal with his deficit, he had to deal with rising interest rates to service that debt which made the deficit larger. Paul Martin got marching orders from the bond vigilantes to curb spending or else, and did so with half the liberal caucus kicking and screaming the entire way. Manning was telling him to cut more.

I can only imagine the size of deficit if it was Liberals in a minority situation, heck they were saying spend more. Canada wasn't in a big as hole as the rest of the world, 39% of Canadians realized that and picked stability.

Don't worry, you guys have Trudeau who started this madness in the first place.

Edited by blueblood

You guys have Trudeau, the evidence supports our cause indeed.

still deflecting... I never made any claims of liberal superiority on financial matters the point was claims from the right of conservative fiscal superior record, and I notice you haven't given any examples of a federal conservative government that has had a surplus in our lifetime...or ever for that matter I checked way back and haven't found any yet...

and I've never voted liberal in my lifetime let alone for trudeau...

still deflecting... I never made any claims of liberal superiority on financial matters the point was claims from the right of conservative fiscal superior record, and I notice you haven't given any examples of a federal conservative government that has had a surplus in our lifetime...or ever for that matter I checked way back and haven't found any yet...

Thats true. Conservatives at least in North America are known for massive spending, and defecit financings. Both political wings are big spenders the only difference is conservatives like to spend and cut taxes at the same time.

Even if you look at both Canada and the US you have to go back many decades to find a balanced budget by a conservative/republican party.

But to be fair... the only reason why Democrats and Liberals were able to keep defecits under control in the 90's was because of massive economic growth during the .COM boom.

there is one, old Harper had surpluses in his first kick at the can. That's as far as my lifetime, Mulroney had trudeaus debt to pay off.

not so much...the point was fox viewers being conservative smarter are therefore smarter on economic issues and the evidence does not support that assertion either...

It's way off topic because at least one of the studies controlled for partisanship, meaning that this has nothing to do with conservatives vs progressive because progressives that watched FOX News were also significantly misinformed. TimG was wrong from the get go saying that conservatives were at some sort of disadvantage in the polling. Now you guys are arguing conservatism vs progressivism. Really has nothing to do with misinformation coming from the media.

there is one, old Harper had surpluses in his first kick at the can. That's as far as my lifetime, Mulroney had trudeaus debt to pay off.

oh please...harper inherited a surplus martin left behind, then harper blew it...and martin cleared off mulroney's deficit...

Thats true. Conservatives at least in North America are known for massive spending, and defecit financings. Both political wings are big spenders the only difference is conservatives like to spend and cut taxes at the same time.

it's also what you spend money on, non conservative governments tend to spend on social programs, education, health, research which create a more productive society/tax payers ...conservatives spend on things that are unproductive and a net loss on society primarily the military...
But to be fair... the only reason why Democrats and Liberals were able to keep defecits under control in the 90's was because of massive economic growth during the .COM boom.

but then you could look at alberta that has had incredible resource boom and yet the conservative governments still runs deficits...regardless how much wealth you have responsible spending is still required...

but then you could look at alberta that has had incredible resource boom and yet the conservative governments still runs deficits...regardless how much wealth you have responsible spending is still required...

I've always wondered about that and 1) is it true about the resource boon and 2) did the Altacon governments run deficits? And, if both 1 & 2 are true then: WTF?

Edit: ok, ok cybercoma, I am way off topic. :(

Edited by Shwa

.........and more studies

http://www.desmogblog.com/fox-news-viewers-are-most-misinformed-seventh-study-arrives-prove-it-and-vindicate-jon-stewart

“Fox News viewing manifests a significant, negative association with global warming acceptance.”

[snip]

those Republicans who do watch CNN/MSNBC are more persuaded than Democratic viewers are to accept global warming. In other words, Republicans in the study seem much more easily swayed by media framing than Democrats. Put them in the Fox information stream, just add water, and watch denialism sprout. Put them in another information stream, though, and something very different might happen.

.........and more studies
Now you are just being rediculous. You know perfectly well that any survey question about 'accepting global warming' is a political question. It has nothing to do with with science or fact. Such studies only show that Fox viewers do not agree with the political positions of democratic voters as expressed on CNN/MSNBC. Edited by TimG

TimG, you keep ignoring the fact that these studies have controlled for political affiliations.
Quite irrelevent. The question itself is framed to push the left wing view of a political issue. You cannot make up for a biased question by "correcting" for party affiliation. The only thing you can take from the study is Fox viewers tend to disagree with left wing political position on global warming even if they claim they are democrats. Edited by TimG

In what possible way is that irrelevant? You don't seem to like what these studies say, and that's fine, but your complaints seem to be rather baseless.
Why don't you try explaining with a hypothetical example why a 'correction' for political affiliation would do anything to address my complaints. Until you do that you have no business claiming that my complaints are 'baseless'.

The main problem is studies are political opinion surveys that are being used to suggest that people who disagree with the political opinions are somehow uninformed. If you can't see the bias inherent in the studies then all that shows is you are blind to bias that supports your views. A lot of people are like that.

Edited by TimG

Why don't you try explaining with a hypothetical example why a 'correction' for political affiliation would do anything to address my complaints. Until you do that you have no business claiming that my complaints are 'baseless'.

How could it not address your complaints. The surveys are saying nothing about Conservatives in general, but rather Fox NEws viewers.

But also it's not just about global warming, but many other issues as well, such as the facts around the Obamacare Act or facts surrounding the Arab Spring. It has nothing to do with left vs right, rather it has to do with seriously misinforming viewers by misrepresenting issues.

But also it's not just about global warming, but many other issues as well, such as the facts around the Obamacare Act or facts surrounding the Arab Spring. It has nothing to do with left vs right, rather it has to do with seriously misinforming viewers by misrepresenting issues.
The Obama care act questions were another example of where "political spin" was claimed to be facts. e.g. there may be no reference in the Obama care act to "death panels" but it does establish a bureaucratic process to make decisions on what care should be funded. These bureaucrats will have no choice but to make decisions that will have life or death consequences so it is not wrong to claim they are "death panels". The could have easily picked a different set of questions that would have targeted the political "spin" used by democrats. But they didn't.

The poll on the arab spring was gross misrepresentation of the actual results because there is a huge number of "don't knows". When you take that in account the difference is much less than was the headline claim and even then, when you have that many "don't knows" you must assume that a number of "wrong" results were actually "don't knows" by people that were just guessing.