Environment Minister can't answer what Ozone is

olp1fan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, YOU don't get it! A cabinet minister is not expected to DO the science himself! Rather, he is supposed to form a team of experts who will give him policy alternatives that he can take back to the cabinet table, where it will be vetted against political considerations more than the science involved.

Kent was expected to be a manager, NOT a scientist!

Next you'll be telling me that a minister for Science and Technology must be an astronaut.

:lol: More con bullshit. Having an environment minister that doesn't understand why ozone is important is akin to having a minister of finance who doesn't understand what money is.

But the cons couldn't care less about the environment, so this gets a pass. Who cares if evidence of the importance of the ozone layer is rock solid, to them anyone pro environment is some sort of commie who wants to 'redistribute the wealth'.

LOL you're deflecting this to insult liberals when the issue here is about a conservative

you are embarassing and quite frankly no longer worth the time to respond to

This thread is asinine, why don't you make up a test for each minister, using no doubt your extensive pool of knowledge of what is required to be known by each one. You argue like a child, and btw, i am sure that the conservatives are screwing up more important things than this, no doubt your grand intellect could be put to better use on those issues.

Why are you so surprised? Politicians usually were educated in POLITICAL science! Or law, I suppose.

Who on earth would expect ANY politician do know even a basic level of most sciences? ust because he's a cabinet minister? Hell, most prime ministers have never seemed qualified to make scientific decisions to me!

You honestly don't believe that an Environment minister should perhaps have a basic understanding of the science relating to his/her department? I mean, no one is suggesting that MPs or even Ministers should require a PhD level understanding of everything in there department.

But Kent doesn't seem to possess the knowledge that we expect 12 or 13 year olds to master in science class. On top of this, Kent is paid an additional $75,516 (above his base MP pay of $157,731) to be the Environment Minister.

You bet your ass he better be able to provide some sort of answer as to what ozone is. Hell, I could even accept an answer that indicated he at least understood what it does and why its important.

This thread is asinine, why don't you make up a test for each minister, using no doubt your extensive pool of knowledge of what is required to be known by each one. You argue like a child, and btw, i am sure that the conservatives are screwing up more important things than this, no doubt your grand intellect could be put to better use on those issues.

its kind of disturbing that you don't think this is a problem

To make a partisan thing out of Kent's ignorance when so many of them couldn't put a plug on a lamp cord is really a stretch! Still, I have to admit that no one would try harder to pin something on a Tory than you! I suspect your right eye is blind and you can only see through your left one

na there's no excuse for this and you can't deflect to others...he's the minister of the environment it's his responsibility to take crash course and know it inside out...

Edited by wyly

If he did know he would have thrown the answer back in the liberals face

Honestly, after watching the youtube clip, the whole premise of the article is ridiculous. He didn't dignify the, as Trudeau put it, "joke" question with an answer.

There's a big difference between "didn't" and "couldn't." There is a thing called defamation of character too. I would be surprised if there isn't a retraction by the paper tomorrow. Trudeau will likely apologize as well. He is liable for whatever he says in a scrum.

Honestly, after watching the youtube clip, the whole premise of the article is ridiculous. He didn't dignify the, as Trudeau put it, "joke" question with an answer.

There's a big difference between "didn't" and "couldn't." There is a thing called defamation of character too. I would be surprised if there isn't a retraction by the paper tomorrow. Trudeau will likely apologize as well. He is liable for whatever he says in a scrum.

do you know any con who wouldn't love to put a liberal in their place?

the man didn't answer it cause he couldn't

Jokes aside, I think the real problem here is the scripted answers to absolutely every comment that all emd with " and this is why X is unfit to govern". It's old and tired already.

I wonder if this would have been ok for say Baird to be so unknowledgeable about something in his portfolio?

LOL you're deflecting this to insult liberals when the issue here is about a conservative

you are embarassing and quite frankly no longer worth the time to respond to

No, I accept the insult to the Tory as deserved! I just take exception to the fact that YOU only insult Tories!

What's more, you seem to stretch any trivial thing you can find and race back home to post it here!

TORY CAUGHT PICKING HIS NOSE IN QUESTION PERIOD!

TORY MISSED HIS EXIT RAMP WHILE DRIVING THE 401!

TORY HAD A 'SENIOR'S MOMENT DURING MEDIA SCRUM!

We don't seem to get decent scandals here in Canada. When I was young, I personally found out about a prominent NDP leader bopping an underage female and setting her up in Ottawa as his mistress!

Now it's "TORY DOESN'T KNOW CHEMISTRY OF OZONE!"

I'm sorry, but your partisan fixation on trivial factors just seems so "high school" to me. I'm gonna pop over to the Science and Technology thread, where everyone has been waiting for YOUR contributions!

I'm sorry, but your partisan fixation on trivial factors just seems so "high school" to me. I'm gonna pop over to the Science and Technology thread, where everyone has been waiting for YOUR contributions!

Hi Wild Bill,

From your last paragraph here, I'm reminded of how you view certain types of education as being better than others, at least in some respects.

Can you answer me this: what education (if any) does Peter Kent have ? I can't find anything in his bio that even mentions university.

Maybe it's Peter Kent who is so "high school"... I suspect your hero doesn't live up to your own standards, and he's the minister of the environment...

Hi Wild Bill,

From your last paragraph here, I'm reminded of how you view certain types of education as being better than others, at least in some respects.

Can you answer me this: what education (if any) does Peter Kent have ? I can't find anything in his bio that even mentions university.

Maybe it's Peter Kent who is so "high school"... I suspect your hero doesn't live up to your own standards, and he's the minister of the environment...

Michael, I think you've jumped in without reading the posts from the start. I think I have been more than obvious that Kent is NOT my hero! I have agreed that he is an idiot, more than once. What more do you want?

My issue with Olp1fan, as I clearly stated in an earlier post, is that he ONLY targets Tories! Even if he has to stretch a trivial issue, which is virtually all the time. I maintain that politicians of ALL parties tend to lack even a basic scientific education! However, since they are expected to be managers and not actual technicians it doesn't really matter.

I also take exception to Olp1fan slagging a politician for his poor knowledge of basic science when he himself has never shown any such knowledge! He seems to expect it only of Tories, not members of any Opposition party or even himself.

I suggest you read the whole thread Michael and then decide if your admonishment is appropriate.

Michael, I think you've jumped in without reading the posts from the start. I think I have been more than obvious that Kent is NOT my hero! I have agreed that he is an idiot, more than once. What more do you want?

I suggest you read the whole thread Michael and then decide if your admonishment is appropriate.

Mea culpa - you're right I haven't been following it...

do you know any con who wouldn't love to put a liberal in their place?

That's what his response did... he brought up the Liberal record on the environment. That's politics in Canada, unfortunately. It's a political game; hard to stomach, but nothing new. It's childish enough as it is, without "joke" questions.

the man didn't answer it cause he couldn't

It's a fact that you don't know that.

Have you guys ever watched question period? 90% of the answers completely ignore the original question. There are frequent rebuttle questions which the opposition ignores as well. One example is the PCs constantly calling out the NDP on their voting record.

In this case I think it's safe to reason that Kent thought the question was rhetorical.

But don't let that stop your witch hunt. :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

I blame either a junior staffer and/or a partisan bureaucrat for Mr. Kent not knowing the correct answer...

What if Peter McKay was unaware of important military details to help inform parliament?Or Jim Flarety was not aware of certain economic aspects?

Kent has bein at his post since Jan/11.Why was he picked?Has he had enough time to get up to speed?

As far as I'm concerned the conservatives have bein caught with their pants down and this reflects poorly on the entire party!

WWWTT

What if Peter McKay was unaware of important military details to help inform parliament?Or Jim Flarety was not aware of certain economic aspects?

Kent has bein at his post since Jan/11.Why was he picked?Has he had enough time to get up to speed?

As far as I'm concerned the conservatives have bein caught with their pants down and this reflects poorly on the entire party!

WWWTT

Oh fudge! And fuddle-duddle! It reflects badly on the entire House! I've never heard any minister yet who properly made sense. They all spout nothing but politico-babble!

WWWTT

What if Peter McKay was asked "what is a gun?" and didn't respond?!?! Or if Flaherty was asked "what is supply and demand?" Omg think of the scandal we could manufacture!!!

What if Peter McKay was asked "what is a gun?" and didn't respond?!?! Or if Flaherty was asked "what is supply and demand?" Omg think of the scandal we could manufacture!!!

Ultimately it really doesn't matter what you and I think.

You will continue on the right and I the left.

However,there is always a large percentage of the population always bouncing between,how will this affect their vote?

You don't sincerely believe you are going to convince me otherwise are you?

WWWTT