The TTC thread

Black Dog

Mayor’s opponents building coalition to derail subways

The showdown, which will play out on the floor of city council, is turning into a game of numbers and procedure, with the mayor’s opponents working to gather enough support to control the agenda and poring over bylaws to plan their attack – which could include an attempt to take over the transit commission.

Councillor Adam Vaughan says a bigger issue is whether critics of the mayor’s plan can get the two-thirds of council necessary – 30 votes – to control the agenda.

“If that 30 votes materializes, all bets are off,” said Mr. Vaughan, a vocal critic of the mayor. “It goes way beyond transit. It is a game changer.”

Mr. Vaughan said the very public firing of Mr. Webster, who two weeks ago outlined the merits of surface light rail during questioning by council, has helped to move numbers closer to the 30 mark.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Byford will be running the TTC for now.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1136486--ttc-s-new-driver-andy-byford-rolls-up-his-sleeves-and-gets-to-work?bn=1

Riding transit daily — Byford has never owned a car — and talking to riders and workers has been part of his routine
He says that Byford brings “focus, rigour and discipline” to Toronto’s transit, “the kind of businesslike approach where everybody knows their role.”

I like this guy already

The Sun is getting a hernia over Ford's "subway tax" - comparing him to Miller. :ph34r:

Ford should bury subway tax idea

Wait a minute.

We remember Rob Ford running for mayor in 2010 promising to end the gravy train at City Hall.

We remember him promising to cut waste.

And we remember him promising subways, although his numbers for paying for them, considering they cost $300 million per kilometre, didn’t add up.

(Then again, neither did the numbers in the transit plan of his major opponent, George Smitherman.)

But we recall nothing from Ford about a new parking tax to pay for subways, as he is now proposing.

Or, gawd forbid, going to Premier Dalton McGuinty to get permission to impose a 0.5% Toronto sales tax.

That’s how David Miller gave us Toronto’s hated vehicle registration tax and the land transfer tax.

Ford rightly promised to kill both in the last election, and he’s already done it for the former.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/28/ford-should-bury-subway-tax-idea

Edited by mentalfloss

lmfao! Ford being slammed by the Sun. Can it get any worse for the guy? The most conservative rag in the country doesn't even support him anymore.

No doubt they still support him; they just expect him to build subways without any money. Perhaps Rob, Doug, Sue-Anne and Joe should all grab some shovels.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1140513--power-outages-roads-closed-due-to-strong-winds?bn=1

Yesterday subway service was down between Islington and Kipling (not a critical area at all) but today it's Union (one of the main stations) and they've shut down service though the busiest part of the entire system (Bloor to Osgoode)

The TTC is having a bad few days.

Oh man... Ford is getting the beat down:

City councillors have taken the wheel from Toronto’s mayor on the crucial transit file, removing five of his allies from the TTC board and returning Karen Stintz as its chair.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/mayor-loses-as-ttc-board-restructured/article2359388/

I intend to run for TTC Commissioner. I have no idea how the process will be done, but I will try. I already ran municipally on a pro-transit platform in 2006.

I suspect all they'll let me do is blab to council for a few minutes, but I'll try to impress their pants off.

Too stubborn. Pretty soon Ford won't even be able to run the city. 29-15 is bad. One more vote and the can pretty much relegate Ford to nothing more than a nominal mayor.

Not really.

He's lost the Transit agenda and got a small part of his budget reversed.

But other than that, what about his agenda hasn't been realized?

He got the Outside Workers to make huge concessions and soon the Inside workers will too.

Edited by Boges

Not really.

He's lost the Transit agenda and got a small part of his budget reversed.

But other than that, what about his agenda hasn't been realized?

He got the Outside Workers to make huge concessions and soon the Inside workers will too.

Even if that were so, you don't think Ford's intransigence on the transit file won't impact his ability to get things done in future? He's alienating a lot of his old allies with this.