Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

The Leafs are doing great!  Calgary is in a lot of trouble, but the other 4 Canadian teams are all leading their series.  The Habs and Oilers are probably not a surprise, and I think the Sens-Bruins series was kind of a pick-em. But the Leafs leading the Capitals is a huge surprise, and with the Capitals history of playoff disappointment... they must have deja vu right now.

Another huge surprise has to be the Blackhawks being in deep trouble against the Predators.  They finally scored a goal last night, which is about the only good news for them.

-k

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kimmy said:

The Leafs are doing great!  Calgary is in a lot of trouble, but the other 4 Canadian teams are all leading their series.  The Habs and Oilers are probably not a surprise, and I think the Sens-Bruins series was kind of a pick-em. But the Leafs leading the Capitals is a huge surprise, and with the Capitals history of playoff disappointment... they must have deja vu right now.

Another huge surprise has to be the Blackhawks being in deep trouble against the Predators.  They finally scored a goal last night, which is about the only good news for them.

-k

The Oilers are not a surprise?  They are to me.  They finished 29th in the league last year, added 33 points to finish second in their division, and fourth in conference.  Now they are leading the Sharks, who went to the Cup final last year and have essentially the same team this year.  And they are not doing well in this series because of McJesus alone, this has been a total team defensive effort.  

5 minutes ago, overthere said:

The Oilers are not a surprise?  They are to me.  They finished 29th in the league last year, added 33 points to finish second in their division, and fourth in conference.  Now they are leading the Sharks, who went to the Cup final last year and have essentially the same team this year.  And they are not doing well in this series because of McJesus alone, this has been a total team defensive effort.  

I call that and raise a team full of 20 year olds beating the President's Cup winner a year after finishing 30th. 

Edited by Boges

Washington has been a playoff dud for a long time .

I didn't say the Leafs are not a surprise.  I know you've had 51 years since Toronto has been to a final, but they aren't close to that, have not yet beaten Washington,  and you don't need to be so defensive.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, overthere said:

The Oilers are not a surprise?  They are to me.  They finished 29th in the league last year, added 33 points to finish second in their division, and fourth in conference.  Now they are leading the Sharks, who went to the Cup final last year and have essentially the same team this year. 

This season has been a big surprise, obviously... I don't think anybody predicted they'd be a 100 point team or have home ice advantage. I think most of us were just hoping they might have a chance to make the playoffs.

But based on the way things stood at the start of the playoffs, I don't think it should be considered an upset if they defeat the Sharks.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, overthere said:

And they are not doing well in this series because of McJesus alone, this has been a total team defensive effort. 

Yes, I think a lot of people assume everything is because of McDavid, but Peter Chiarelli has rebuilt the team from top to bottom in the past 2 years. I think that Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are the only two regulars left from before Chiarelli took over. And almost everybody Chiarelli has brought in has been extremely big and very physical.  It is amazing how quickly he has transformed the team. McDavid is the biggest factor, and prospects like Draisaitl and Klefbom and Nurse were drafted by the previous management group. But Chiarelli did bring in Cam Talbot, who is almost as big a factor as McDavid for the Oilers, and he traded Hall to get Adam Larsson which was widely criticized but has turned out to be a brilliant trade. Plus loading up with guys like Lucic and Maroon and Kassian who are huge and tough and can play, and adding useful veterans like Sekera and Russell and Letestu. I think a lot of people probably don't realize how much work Chiarelli has done to change the team in a short amount of time.

Here is hoping that game 6 doesn't turn out the way game 4 did!

-k

Looks like the Sharks just ran out of gas towards the end of the season(and had some crucial injuries), and much the same in the playoffs.  It was a weird series, both SJ wins were dominating affairs, the other games were much closer but the Oilers were relentless in all four wins.

One of the best outcomes was that the Oilers didn't get a lot of production from their top two lines, but the 3ed and 4th lines pitched in big time.  All four gamewinners came from the bottom lines: Kassian(2), Desharnais and Slepyshev.

Their top six defence are tied up with small to medium deals for a few years except Russell, who is UFA..  Do they sign him?  Or do they package somebody like Eberle with a prospect for a second pairing defenceman? I think the answer depends on whether or not Pulujarvi is ready to move into the lineup and into Eberles slot.  If he is..... Eberle becomes trade bait, and the better he plays in the playoffs the more his stock rises. I doubt they'll sign Desharnais, another UFA- and is anybody in the minors ready to step up to 4th line center?  Or can Caggiula fill that role?

Nobody wants to play run n gun with the Oilers, and they are showing they can grind it out if that is needed.  I still don't think they are an elite team, maybe next year or two.  But everything is encouraging right now for the future.

The playoff landscape is surprising now.... the West is pretty much wide open now that Minny and Chicago are out early. Any of the 4 remaining- Oilers, Ducks, St Louis or Nashville could win the West. The East is kind of a mess IMO, by the end of the second round 2 of the best 3 teams in the East will be out for sure, Columbus already gone and either Pittsburgh or the Caps gone too.  The NHL needs to go back to one of the old playoff systems, where either #1 meets number #8 in each conference, or even the old school system where #1 met #16.

The Ottawa Senators continue to be impressive!  They have faced all kinds of adversity this season, and have somehow found a way to fight through everything.  If Cam Talbot isn't the MVP of the playoffs so far, Erik Karlsson might be.  He seems to be carrying them with a combination of willpower and sheer talent.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:00 AM, overthere said:

One of the best outcomes was that the Oilers didn't get a lot of production from their top two lines, but the 3ed and 4th lines pitched in big time.  

They continue to somehow find ways to win. Last night it was all Cam Talbot... the game before, the Ducks were so focused on McDavid that Leon Draisaitl was free to do whatever he felt like. The series isn't over yet, but the Oilers have shown that they aren't impressed by the Ducks' playoff experience or by their supposed physical intimidation.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:00 AM, overthere said:

Their top six defence are tied up with small to medium deals for a few years except Russell, who is UFA..  Do they sign him?  Or do they package somebody like Eberle with a prospect for a second pairing defenceman?

I think we have to wait to see what happens in the expansion draft before we know for sure. The way the playoffs are going so far, the Las Vegas management team is probably looking at some of the guys the Oilers won't be able to protect in the expansion draft and thinking "hey, that guy might be a good pick-up." I don't know if they'll be able to protect Mark Letestu, for example...

-k

On 4/29/2017 at 0:38 PM, kimmy said:

The Ottawa Senators continue to be impressive!  They have faced all kinds of adversity this season, and have somehow found a way to fight through everything.  If Cam Talbot isn't the MVP of the playoffs so far, Erik Karlsson might be.  He seems to be carrying them with a combination of willpower and sheer talent.

They continue to somehow find ways to win. Last night it was all Cam Talbot... the game before, the Ducks were so focused on McDavid that Leon Draisaitl was free to do whatever he felt like. The series isn't over yet, but the Oilers have shown that they aren't impressed by the Ducks' playoff experience or by their supposed physical intimidation.

I think we have to wait to see what happens in the expansion draft before we know for sure. The way the playoffs are going so far, the Las Vegas management team is probably looking at some of the guys the Oilers won't be able to protect in the expansion draft and thinking "hey, that guy might be a good pick-up." I don't know if they'll be able to protect Mark Letestu, for example...

-k

Speaking of Las Vegas, their GM George McPhee is  wheeler dealer and open for business.  One of the problems that expansion teams have is spending to the minimum cap figure, since they are often picking up prospects and third liners.  I can seriously see Eberle being traded there, in return for prospects and draft picks.  The OIlers are coming soon to some serious cap problems.  McDavid is going to get 10 to $12 million, Draisatl perhaps $7 million, RNH already gets $6 million.  Their defence as a group will cost them $20 to $25 million, without counting an upgrade which they need and will take them to $25 to $30 million as a group..  They also want to sign Kassian, Maroon, Caggiula, Benning, Slepyshev, probably Pakarinen and most urgently need another decent goalie as backup.  

If Pulujarvi is deemed ready.....either RNH or Eberle is gong to have to go, and I reckon it is Eberle.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody here expect the Ottawa Senators to be in the final 4?  Erik Karlsson is the best hockey player in the world right now. If not him, then it's Pekka Rinne of the Predators.

The somewhat unheralded Senators and Predators have breezed into the final four, while the remaining heavyweights-- Pittsburgh, Washington, Anaheim-- go to a game 7.

-k

On 5/11/2017 at 6:16 AM, Boges said:

Smell you later Oil. ^_^

I imagine that there's a lot of jealousy out there... it will probably increase in upcoming seasons.  But on the bright side Toronto still has the Maple Lea--  oh. Well, there's the Rapt-- uh, ok, how about the Blue J--  uh, that's not going so well either. Well, there's always next year.

-k

20 hours ago, kimmy said:

I imagine that there's a lot of jealousy out there... it will probably increase in upcoming seasons.  But on the bright side Toronto still has the Maple Lea--  oh. Well, there's the Rapt-- uh, ok, how about the Blue J--  uh, that's not going so well either. Well, there's always next year.

-k

The Jays are playing much better. 

Leafs fans are completely satisfied with last season. 

I'll concede the Raptors, they may have to take a step back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...