Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for 24 hours, until Montreal won, the Oilers were the top team in the league at 5-1 record.

But they have had a run of mostly home games and  mostly against weaker teams, except for their well earned victory over St Louis.  The OIlers only loss was a thorough thrashing from.....Buffalo.

Washington on Wednesday will be tougher.  Last year the Capitals spanked the Oilers at home.....

You know I would like to talk about your team. I like the new uniform even though you still can't spell.

But listen up. Les Canadiens, Les Glorieux, they's where its at man. With Price healthy, we gonna get there this year.

I am over the Subban trade. Weber looks great. Les Glorieux need one more young rushing defenceman and we'z right there.

As for you long time sufferers well I say this. Mathews is the real thing. He is not gonna save you for 2 years but he has from what I

see the makings of a Jean Beliveau. He plays that way. Big picture, unselfish, two way, great stride. He's not gonna flash like Lemieux but he's a Beliveau or

Jean Ratelle for sure. He's a keeper. Just don't think he's Lemieux. As for Marner, he's the real thing. You got a Dave Keon-Doug Gilmour like guy there.

Nylander. He skates. You can't teach that and he has it. He  just needs some time. I put him in the same category as Cournoyer was. Small but capable of playing when he figures out how to burst out with his speed.

I can't say enough about Reilly and you brought in a good stay at home solid chunk of a Russian dman who played really well for Russia during the cup.

You have the beginnings. Anderson will handle the heat but don't expect him to be Price. But he's a top 6 goalie. 

The Leafs in 3 years will be tough. You ave 2-3 years to be patient and it will come together.

If Tavares gives up on the Islanders and Toronto makes a move for him Zap you are gonna be contending.

However let's be realistic. Tavares says he wants to stay.

You could also expect the Rangers to try get him if he wants to leave.

So there you have it. Les Glorieux must find a way to win in spite of Therriens. Be grateful you guys have Babcock. He's as good a coach as there is.

One sour note-Kadri. He needs to keep his head in the game. He makes bozo plays. However his hit the other day was not as bad as they made it to be.

It was shoulder to shoulder. It was not a head shot. Sedin had his head down. You watch it on the replay. His feet are solid on the ice, his elbow is in stick down that was a shoulder hit. It was o.k. The spear on Reilly was b,s.

So who will win this year. Right now choose between the Hawks, Rangers, Habs and Tampa. Rangers look good. Their chemistry seems realigned.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:18 AM, Boges said:

Matthews 1 

McDavid 0

Even though Kadri was the star of that game. :huh:

Connor Brown . Add him. Underrated becayse never scores but he plays 2 way hockey. He finishes his checks.. Ok so he's no flashy pants but  Babcock has him learning. You can see it with Mathews, Nylander, Marner, too. They could be a lost flashier but Babcock is doing the Scotty Bowmanization on them, i.e., teaching them to be 2 way not 1 way. It shows. I saw him finish 3 checks. I like him. He may be invisible but he's playing his heart out for Babock. I am a Habs fan. I grew up with Toe Blake then Scotty. I know coaches. Habs fans like me  know the hockey Gods. I get my visions from Morenz, the Rocket, Butch Bouchard, Doug Harvey, George Vezina.  I think Babcock follows the grand tradition of making all his guys play team first-2 way first before flash.. He handles Mathews like Toe Blake did Beliveau. Its nice to watch. Brown, Mathews and Marner are gonna make you guys feel good about hockey again. Just be patient. Pay attention to Brown. He's got moxy or as my people say Chutzbah.....guts..lunch bucket heart and soul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2016 at 1:41 PM, Wilber said:

The Leaves. The only team in the NHL that comes to the west coast and gets to play in its own time zone. Can't handle the time change I guess.

Either that or they get more people watching at 7pm EST than at 10. 

Their games in Alberta were shown at 9pm EST.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the Centennial Classic for 2 periods, marking the most Leaf regular season hockey I have watched in maybe 8 years.

Matthews' case as a future hall-of-famer is made here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/matthews-historic-rookie-season-1.3918562

I'm old, so I don't know the game I watched growing up.  The Leafs seemed competent and solid, though.  They were planing a team worse than them, I guess....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 6:57 AM, Boges said:

The ROC must really hate the Leafs unexpected success. 

This is why you pay Mike Babcock the ****ing money.

I am entirely okay with 5 Canadian teams making the playoffs this year, after zero last season.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

I normally like the Leafs about as much as I like having my teeth scraped, but this year's edition is hard not to cheer for. I enjoyed yesterday's game, with the late-game heroics from the rookies, and McElhinney's incredible save on Sidney Crosby in the final minute to preserve the win and lock up the playoff spot.  Congratulations on making it official!

-k