Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

It's not about the standings, it's about the trajectory. Oilers finally look like a team that's poised to take the next step and have been winning games without their entire second line, including McDavid (remember him) and with their patchwork D. They have one of the best players in the game in Taylor Hall. The Leafs have...some guys? Matt Hunwick? The most exciting things about the Leafs is the possibility they'll win the lottery or sign Stamkos (it's going to be funny when he signs in Montreal instead). No buzz.

I agree that the Oilers seem to be on a better trajectory, but I'd like to see it from them for more than a couple of weeks. However, the Leafs have much more than just some guys. Kadri is much improved. And they have future all-stars in William Nylander and Mitch Marner currently torching the AHL and OHL. Add to that the possibility of adding Stamkos, and their trajectory is arguably much better than Edmonton's, because the Leafs actually have some defencemen and goalies too. Edited by Shady

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leafs know they're going to be bad next year, so are talking about changing their uniforms to try and generate some excitement about the team...

Good strategy actually... distract with unimportant, but shiny, objects...

I like to come back to this thread just to laugh at how I was told I know nothing about hockey when I said the Clarkson signing was a bad one. :lol:

But I would agree that, after bottoming out with that horrendous move, they have nowhere to go but up. They won't get Stamkos though and, even if they did, that wouldn't solve their problems. What they need are some real goalies. Only someone who would think the Clarkson deal was great would think Bernier, Reimer, and what's-his-name are going to amount to anything.

Edited by BubberMiley

I like to come back to this thread just to laugh at how I was told I know nothing about hockey when I said the Clarkson signing was a bad one. :lol:

But I would agree that, after bottoming out with that horrendous move, they have nowhere to go but up. They won't get Stamkos though and, even if they did, that wouldn't solve their problems. What they need are some real goalies. Only someone who would think the Clarkson deal was great would think Bernier, Reimer, and what's-his-name are going to amount to anything.

They got Stanley Cup winner Nathan Horton for him! He makes a measly $6mil... missed all last year with an injury... hasn't been seen this year...

Still better value than Clarkson apparently! lol

What do the Leafs have that would get them Stamkos in a trade?. And why would he want to come to A Graveyard of Broken Dreams?

It wouldn't be a trade. He's set to be a UFA this offseason and he's liked multiple Leafs article on Twitter. B)

He's not feeling the love from Tampa.

Edited by Boges

It wouldn't be a trade. He's set to be a UFA this offseason and he's liked multiple Leafs article on Twitter. B)

He's not feeling the love from Tampa.

The Leafs and their fans have become pawns in a negotiation between Stamkos agents and Tampa. The press here is saying he added 'like' to a single Tweet, which has caused Leafs Nation to simultaneously ejaculate.

Stamkos can get 10 mililion + from pretty much anybody. What possible reason would he have to pick Toronto, where he will be treated like God for the first two weeks of the season, then shat upon daily for the rest of his life? All the while being harassed by the press relentlessly.

The Leafs and their fans have become pawns in a negotiation between Stamkos agents and Tampa. The press here is saying he added 'like' to a single Tweet, which has caused Leafs Nation to simultaneously ejaculate.

Stamkos can get 10 mililion + from pretty much anybody. What possible reason would he have to pick Toronto, where he will be treated like God for the first two weeks of the season, then shat upon daily for the rest of his life? All the while being harassed by the press relentlessly.

Cuz he's from the area and he knows that Babcock is likely here for the long run. He'll sign for 7 or 8 years.

I don't even know if the Leafs would want him actually. He'd eat up a lot of cap room for a team that needs young talent to excel.

We see a problem in Winnipeg where a team that's only a peripheral contender is already faced with re-signing 3 player in the offseason that will pretty much eat up their cap.

The Leafs strategy is to lose all these over-rated and expensive players when they can and keep building with prospects. Not sure how Stamkos fits into that equation but if he'll take a hometown discount, BONUS!

Wouldn't Stamkos want the chance of winning a Cup?

I understand the history and nostalgia of the Leafs... but that's all it is... history.

Are Cup contenders going to have the Cap room? I didn't realize how few big name hockey players make it to Free Agency. Most are extended, Tampa's GM (Yzerman) preferred to extend their coach before Stamkos.

Montreal may be a good option, if they can afford him.

Are Cup contenders going to have the Cap room? I didn't realize how few big name hockey players make it to Free Agency. Most are extended, Tampa's GM (Yzerman) preferred to extend their coach before Stamkos.

Montreal may be a good option, if they can afford him.

This is assuming Tampa let him go to free agency. They could trade him, which would be way smarter than letting him go for nothing. In which case, Toronto has nothing...

Edmonton has plenty of cap space! Wouldn't that be crazy?

Predators have cap space. But who the hell would want to go there?

Senators have space, and are doing well.

I think the Jets should sign him. Plenty of cap space... but I don't think they're a contender.

The Leafs changed the perception of the organization within the league almost instantly with Babcock, Hunter, Lou Lamoriello, and Jacques Lemaire. They have top level talent in the AHL and OHL and there's a good chance they'll have the first pick in the draft this year. Not to mention the Remier is 3rd in the league in GAA and save percentage. The Leafs also will have significant cap room.

I agree that the Oilers seem to be on a better trajectory, but I'd like to see it from them for more than a couple of weeks.

They've been a better team overall this year. Here's a comparison:

Oilers after 32 games in 2014-15: 7-20-5, 19 points (-46 GD)
Oilers after 32 games in 2015-16: 14-16-2, 30 points (-9 GD)
Double the wins, but most importantly that goal differential improvement is crazy good. They're a top 10 team in goals for and that's without McDavid for most of the year.
However, the Leafs have much more than just some guys. Kadri is much improved. And they have future all-stars in William Nylander and Mitch Marner currently torching the AHL and OHL. Add to that the possibility of adding Stamkos, and their trajectory is arguably much better than Edmonton's, because the Leafs actually have some defencemen and goalies too.

Oh please, that's just pure homerism. The best thing the Leafs have going for them is they play in the crap conference.

Wouldn't Stamkos want the chance of winning a Cup?

I understand the history and nostalgia of the Leafs... but that's all it is... history.

And ancient history at that. You're right about winners wanting to play for winners. I don't see Stamkos having any motivation to play in Toronto because he used to live there, and a hometown discount?... please..... From a fan/media viewpoint, Toronto is the ultimate horror show for hockey players.

Stamkos is 25, a great player and at the height of his career. I cannot think of any coherent reason why he'd waste that career on a team that has no hope of success (like a Cup) with or without him. Toronto is the place where you go when you're 35 and fading fast, not 25 and at your peak.The best bet for the Leafs is through the draft, at least initially.

I do think that the Leafs are on the right track. Spending $6 million on a guy like Babcock is better than spending $6 million on a guy like Kessel, and coach salaries don't even count against the cap.

I think that playing in Toronto would probably be more stressful than most hockey markets, so that might affect some free agents. It's the ultimate fishbowl. But probably some players would relish that kind of attention.

-k

They've been a better team overall this year. Here's a comparison:

Oilers after 32 games in 2014-15: 7-20-5, 19 points (-46 GD)
Oilers after 32 games in 2015-16: 14-16-2, 30 points (-9 GD)
Double the wins, but most importantly that goal differential improvement is crazy good. They're a top 10 team in goals for and that's without McDavid for most of the year.

Oh please, that's just pure homerism. The best thing the Leafs have going for them is they play in the crap conference.

Obvious you know nothing of Nylander and Marner. Ignorance is no excuse. Regardless, the Oilers are 4 points a head of the Leafs and have played 3 more games. BFD.

I do think that the Leafs are on the right track. Spending $6 million on a guy like Babcock is better than spending $6 million on a guy like Kessel, and coach salaries don't even count against the cap.

I think that playing in Toronto would probably be more stressful than most hockey markets, so that might affect some free agents. It's the ultimate fishbowl. But probably some players would relish that kind of attention.

-k

I agree kimmy. Playing in Toronto is much more of a nuisance than playing in other markets, which could be a deterrant.

If Toronto was a decent team, with decent management, of course free agents would want to go there.

Currently, and for the last 2 decades or so, it is a terrible team with awful management with no hopes of even reaching the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

But at least Kadri is vastly improving! LOL (11 pts in 30 games)

Predators have cap space. B

And Predators have a rare rare thing: a surplus of excellent defencemen and they are in need of offence.

This is assuming Tampa let him go to free agency. They could trade him,

Tampa cannot let him go for nothing. A likely scenario is sign him to a whopper contract and trade him, which is not common in the NHL but this is an unusual circumstance.

Obvious you know nothing of Nylander and Marner. Ignorance is no excuse.

I'm very familiar with these prospects. And that's all they are at this point: prospects. Draisaitl is a mere nine months older than Nylander and is ripping up the NHL.

Regardless, the Oilers are 4 points a head of the Leafs and have played 3 more games. BFD.

Again, we're talking about the relative ceilings of each team.

And Predators have a rare rare thing: a surplus of excellent defencemen and they are in need of offence.

Tampa cannot let him go for nothing. A likely scenario is sign him to a whopper contract and trade him, which is not common in the NHL but this is an unusual circumstance.

I guess it will be up to Stamkos though...

No-trade clause, so Tampa can't trade him if he doesn't want to be traded this season. He doesn't have to sign a contract with Tampa either, even if it's a whopper. He may just let the contract run out and pick and choose a team of his liking when the offers roll in... many of which might be whoppers anyway!

Tampa is behind the 8-ball on this one. Which surprises me... Yzerman will get a lot of heat if they get nothing for Stamkos.