Remembrance Day Event Cancelled

Boges

I do deal with it by attending a rembrance day service of my choice (although usually guns are present, but not conspicuous - they are not oohed and awed over like little boys with a penthouse magazine). :P

If the group in the OP doesn't want to have guns at their services then TFB - you deal with it.

I am dealing with it by saying their actions are misguided and their excuses drivel.

Actually guns are conspicuous during the service. The cenotaph sentries are armed with rifles and a 21 gun salute is fired.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am dealing with it by saying their actions are misguided and their excuses drivel.

Yes, and I'm dealing with it by saying they have ever right to cancel a service or to change a service to whatever suits their needs. BFD.

Actually guns are conspicuous during the service. The cenotaph sentries are armed with rifles and a 21 gun salute is fired.

Yes, I've been to those kinds of services before.

Not my cup of tea anymore.

Guess I grew out of that kind of sh!t.

Yes, and I'm dealing with it by saying they have ever right to cancel a service or to change a service to whatever suits their needs. BFD.

Bullshit, they are a school board, not a private individual or company, they have to answer for and justify their decisions.

Yes, I've been to those kinds of services before.

Not my cup of tea anymore.

Guess I grew out of that kind of sh!t.

Guess you're too grown up to attend the service in Ottawa then.

Bullshit, they are a school board, not a private individual or company, they have to answer for and justify their decisions.

And they have and will. BFD.

Guess you're too grown up to attend the service in Ottawa then.

Never been to Ottawa and never will in November.... ;)

I'm a bit disappointed that Remembrance Day been turned into a Veterans Day.

Can't you just let the military, and pro-military Canadians have just one day for themselves. You have every single other day of the year to crap on Canadian troops.

Can't you just let the military, and pro-military Canadians have just one day for themselves. You have every single other day of the year to crap on Canadian troops.

No, I can't. I would like them to have more than one day because I would like Remembrance Day to still stand for something and I would like the rest of our veterans to have a day that they don't have to share.

No, I can't. I would like them to have more than one day because I would like Remembrance Day to still stand for something and I would like the rest of our veterans to have a day that they don't have to share.

But it does stand for something to most people, just not you it seems. If the presence of a gun can stop someone from paying their respects to people who have died for this country, I question the amount of respect they had in the first place.

I wouldn't object to a separate day to honour living vets but the dead are all equal in my book. It doesn't matter what war they died in or whether it was in combat or shivering with malaria in some jungle. We asked, they went and didn't come back. It's all the same.

I think a lot of people have, sadly, forgotten the meaning of Remembrance Day. It isn't to celebrate victory. It isn't to honour the troops currently serving.

It is to commemorate those who have died in war for their country.

This can't be done by glorifying war and weapons, as "cool" as guns might be. I have a keen interest in history and weapons, but this is a time to remember the fallen, not to glorify or celebrate or promote.

The ceremony in my town makes a point of touching on the deaths of soldiers of other nations as well. Americans, British and German.... no hatred, no animosity... just solemn remembrance.

Well I'll flip that on it's head. What reason should the guns be removed in the first place? There is none, unless you think it's glorifying violence. Which I think is patently absurd.

I think this is the 3rd time I've said this. Why do people go to museums? To see historical things up close. This is similar to that but the museum is being brought to the kids.

the difference being someone can choose to go to museum and see those type of things...

I think a lot of people have, sadly, forgotten the meaning of Remembrance Day. It isn't to celebrate victory. It isn't to honour the troops currently serving.

It is to commemorate those who have died in war for their country.

This can't be done by glorifying war and weapons, as "cool" as guns might be. I have a keen interest in history and weapons, but this is a time to remember the fallen, not to glorify or celebrate or promote.

The ceremony in my town makes a point of touching on the deaths of soldiers of other nations as well. Americans, British and German.... no hatred, no animosity... just solemn remembrance.

Well said.

Its kind of ridiculous that world war 1 basically started with Austria - Hungary beefing with Serbia over an assassination

Both those countries problems aren't worth the dirt on your shoes

What's even stupider is how WW2 basically started because of the botched attempt to put the first war to bed.

If...when...Europe goes down this road again I bet you one dirty old worn out pair of shoes we'll be along for the ride.

What we really need is a Fuhgeddaboudit Day.

when i was a kid the boer war was still part of the ceremony...i didn't know better then but i wouldn't be remembering any canadian from that war, a brutal war of imperialism if there ever was one and we were the bad guys...ww1, another stupid war of imperialism and has already be noted here germany wasn't at fault, so remembering canadians dying for our freedom was bs...ww2 as result of ww1 and a horrendous treaty imposed on the germans, germans were the bad guys in that one but the allies had a part...ww2 dead are the only i'll give my respect to

also when I was kid there was a minimum of weapons on display and only at the ceremony, this bringing guns to schools was never on display when i was kid, all in bad taste imo it has nothing to with the days events, it only serves to glorify war which is not what the ceremony is about...last cermony i went to two years ago there wasn't a single weapon in sight and no one complained...

Why the hell did they cancel the event just because no guns were allowed? To start contraversy?

The whole event had to be cancelled because this "one station where theres replicas of guns" isnt allowed?

Ya cant honor veterans without a bunch of stupid fake guns?

It was cancelled because all of the kids today are wrapped in bubble wrap to protect them from everything.

You are such a hero Rue, coming into the discussion heroically like that, sticking up for all the veterans like you do. And that part about the trauma, simply fabulous. Keep up the good work Rue, we're counting on you!

What an absolutely pathetic response that typifies where you are at in life. First off vets do not need me to stick up for them. What an inspid meely mouthed juvenile thing to spit back. The vets do not need defending you on the other hand need to grow up. Come into the discussion heroic like? What crock is that. I expressed my opinion period.

What now. You want to ridicule vets? What you need is to have someone take you to a vet hospital and have you sit there and shut your mouth just once in your life and listen.

You are a classic example of why we need vets to talk to us. You are meely mouthed arogant little sob who thinks he is entitled and can not be questioned and can ridicule the swet and blood of vets.

The only one being heroic is you if we want to use the word that way. You act tough because you are anonymous and can hide behind your cowardly words. You wouldn't have the balls let alone integrity to say what you do to a war veteran or anyone else in person. You frequent this forum because you can be passive aggressive and sneer all you want. There's no consequence for your hurtful words and sneering.

Get this clear vets do not need me or anyone else to defend them. Their sacrifice is public record. You want to act like a jackass and ridicule their contributions get out from this forum where you hide and go tell it to them. Go on walk into a vet hospital or legion and ridicule a vet and see how long you last and it won't be a vet who sets you straight-it will be just some ordinary shmuck like me. The vet would be the last to even pay you any attention.

That you are too bloody stupid to understand why.

Edited by Rue

What an absolutely pathetic response that typifies where you are at in life. First off vets do not need me to stick up for them. What an inspid meely mouthed juvenile thing to spit back. The vets do not need defending you on the other hand need to grow up. Come into the discussion heroic like? What crock is that. I expressed my opinion period.

Amazing, you are so astute with your observations, you deserve a medal. With a little ribbon too, so the Queen can pin it on you in a ceremony.

What now. You want to ridicule vets? What you need is to have someone take you to a vet hospital and have you sit there and shut your mouth just once in your life and listen.

Boy, you sure know what you are talking aboutRue . Am I ever glad you're on our side! For once, we can be righteous.

You are a classic example of why we need vets to talk to us. You are meely mouthed arogant little sob who thinks he is entitled and can not be questioned and can ridicule the swet and blood of vets.

And you are a classic example of the modern day hero whose inspiring narratives spur people to action and move our beloved society forward. Thank God for heros like you Rue.

The only one being heroic is you if we want to use the word that way. You act tough because you are anonymous and can hide behind your cowardly words. You wouldn't have the balls let alone integrity to say what you do to a war veteran or anyone else in person. You frequent this forum because you can be passive aggressive and sneer all you want. There's no consequence for your hurtful words and sneering.

I am really glad you pointed this all out. It really makes me think. This is all very good stuff. I think I am going to have to re-evaluate some personal things because of this. Thanks Rue, even your insult and invective is refreshingly inspiring!

Get this clear vets do not need me or anyone else to defend them. Their sacrifice is public record. You want to act like a jackass and ridicule their contributions get out from this forum where you hide and go tell it to them. Go on walk into a vet hospital or legion and ridicule a vet and see how long you last and it won't be a vet who sets you straight-it will be just some ordinary shmuck like me. The vet would be the last to even pay you any attention.

This is very good advice and knowing the source of it, I just know it is literally dripping with love and sincerity. Don't give up Rue, you have such a perfect grasp on reality, we need you to show us the way, straight and true, right into the Promised Land.

That you are too bloody stupid to understand why.

Spoken like a true hero, I am in complete awe. Remember Rue, we are counting on you.