Romney, The Inevitable Nominee

That's true. Better to work together to create an environment where individual initiative can be facilitated and rewarded. Paul Ryan is just the type to destroy that.

And I hear he eats kittens.

To me, Ryan comes across as a pretty smart, like-able guy. No doubt, he will be a much better debater than Palin was. He seems persuasive and genuine to me. That's a matter of opinion, of course. But I think Ryan is an excellent choice.

As far as people who are going to vote Democrat no matter what, there is no one Romney could pick who they won't be prepared to dislike.

Edited by jefferiah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCain's pick made a huge difference..it reflected very poorly upon his judgment. I think it remains to be seen how Romney's choice plays out but I agree that the bold move would have been Christie and it was the one that Democrats feared the most.

Why, you wanted Ryan to pick another loose cannon?

When people like Paul Ryan try to explain why they're willing to gut child tax credits and medicare and Pell grants and food stamps to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy, they start talking about how small business owners create most of the jobs in America (video:

)

But how many of "the wealthy" are actually small business owners, and how many small business owners are wealthy?

Usually I respect your posts but you have no concept here.

We cannot afford the runaway costs of a social democracy. You cannot raise taxes on the rich enough to pay for them.

We cannot afford the runaway costs of a social democracy. You cannot raise taxes on the rich enough to pay for them.

oh... so you're a fiscally responsible self-proclaimed "True Progressive", hey? By the by, what about that U.S. military budget - you know, the one that's more than the world's next 20 largest military spending countries combined... can ya get any help there?

Why, you wanted Ryan to pick another loose cannon?

I don’t see Christie as a loose cannon but as a straight talker, much like a Harry Truman. I know he can be abrasive but hearing the truth often rubs people the wrong way. To date, he has been a successful governor of a traditionally Blue State and has a high approval rating. I think Christie would have great appeal with independent voters but social conservative voter support would be questionable. Christie would have given the impression of a more centralist administration; the selection of Ryan has confirmed that, if elected, we will have one of the most conservative, radical right administrations in our history.

Why would you say Paul Ryan had the world handed to him?

I've heard a few people say similar things. I don't see it. Isn't he the opposite Romney in that sense?

I disagree. I think it's very bold. It frames the upcoming election as two distinct choices. The current status quo, with an America in decline, worst recovery since the great depression, worst deficits in the history of the country, worst debt in the history of the country, and a general malaise, which will continue for another 4 years if Obama is re-elected. Versus strong economic growth, and budget, taxes, and entitlement reform. Real reform that's necessary to avoid an upcoming American debt crisis. Paul Ryan is the only person in Washington to actually put a detailed plan together. Everybody else just sits on the sidelines and criticizes. Including the current economic illiterate-in-chief.

Anyways, I can't wait until the VP debate. An old, pretty dumb, career politician vs a young, intelligent, reform driven congressman. :)

I would move it from my 'little surprising' category to 'bold' if Romney came out strongly in favor of Ryan's plan.

Romney has put out next to no policies this campaign so I'm not surprised really. But I thought if he pushed the Ryan plan it could get parts of his base going.

By not doing that they open themselves up to the gutting Medicare/social security attacks without the boldness.

Also.

Am I the only one who thinks that a Mormon with a Catholic running mate might have trouble solidifying the vote in the deep south?

I dont think this will be much of an issue. It might not get parts of the GOP base excited but they aren't voting for Obama anyway.

I think most people will go out in November thinking about the economy and not Mormonism and Catholicism.

And I hear he eats kittens.

On this board it's also popular to say I have Ryan Derangement Syndrome if I make any criticism of him at all.

I agree he may be likable, but he has very extremist right-wing budget ideas that would even make jbg look progressive.

Who says we can't afford them? Many social democracies seem to be able to afford the costs without undue trauma. Canada had repeated surpluses until your corrupt government decided to let the Wall Street financiers do whatever the hell they wanted and almost collapsed the world's financial system.

You might not be able to afford the costs of a social democracy because your people refuse to pay the taxes necessary to do so. Fine. Live in your alarmed, barred, guard-dogged, private walled, private policed enclaves and clutch your dollars joyfully to your breast while the old die and the poor wither into husks. No doubt you'll be delighted at all the gold you've accumulated when you die.

We are a country where we believe that hobbling individual initiative is a bad idea.

You are in a country which believes helping individuals is also a bad idea... unless those individuals are majority shareholders and corporate executives.

Not many. We're not talking about giving tax cuts to people who are going to take their money and start a small business. We're talking about giving tax cuts to people who are going to take their money to Goldman Sachs and say "make me even richer".

There is apparently already a tv ad out showing a Ryan lookalike pushing an old lady in a wheelchair off a cliff. I would go one better. I'd have him do that, giggle in delight, then rush offscreen. The next image would be him in an enormous office, crawling up to the desk and saying "I did it, Mister K! Now I can cut your taxes again!" The offscreen voice would throw some coins on the floor, some landing on his head, and say "Good boy."

Then, as Ryan scrambled eagerly for the cash the voice would say "There's still some poor people getting fed in California. Take care of it for me, boy. I want my taxes cut again."

"Yes, sir, Mister K!" he'd exclaim, eagerly bowing his way back out of the door.

Ryan symbolizes the Republican Party of this day. He's utterly unconcerned about anyone but the wealthy patrons who donate to his campaign, and who no-doubt promise riches for when they retire or are booted out of office.

Edited by Argus

I've heard a few people say similar things. I don't see it. Isn't he the opposite Romney in that sense?

No, Ryan like Romney came from a privileged background.

And Ryan and Romney also share a background in family wealth, and the comfort of never having to worry about money. Ryan's great-grandfather founded Ryan Incorporated Central, a construction firm that has gone on to enjoy tremendous success and is still owned by the Ryan family.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/11/mitt-romney-paul-ryan_n_1767818.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=TOPin

I am starting to think Perry would have been so much better. At least it wouldn't be two rich white guys from family fortunes vs. Two guys from middle class backgrounds. Seriously I feel Biden has s great story I hope we hear more of it now that Money picked Ryan.

I am surprised that he didn't get a scholastic scholarship, especially since he is lauded as a deep thinking intellect.

Well he did get his Bachelor of Arts from the prestigious Miami University of Ohio. I mean it is right up there with Harvard don't cha know.

He did go to publicly funded University which means his tax payer subsidized tuition wasn't so outrages that he could put himself through school on the money he saved form his Dad's SS. You know what though F everyone else Ryan got his and took advantage of the system and now he wants to burn it to the ground.

Edited by punked

Well he did get his Bachelor of Arts from the prestigious Miami University of Ohio. I mean it is right up there with Harvard don't cha know.

He did go to publicly funded University which means his tax payer subsidized tuition wasn't so outrages that he could put himself through school on the money he saved form his Dad's SS. You know what though F everyone else Ryan got his and took advantage of the system and now he wants to burn it to the ground.

Excellent point,

So why is it that the wealthy don't bear a share of the cost of reducing the deficit? Why is it that lower and middle class citizens are being told they must give up programs that are important to their bottom line, while the tax cuts for the wealthy are deemed non-negotiable?

And when that question comes up, the response is always something along the lines of "these are the risk-takers! these are the job-creators! Small business creates most jobs in America! We need to get America working again! We need to reward initiative!" etc etc.

But this doesn't correspond to reality.

I am highly skeptical the idea that "the wealthy" and "small business owners" are the same people. I don't think the Mitt Romneys and Hank Paulsons of the world are going to out there and start small businesses if we reduce their taxes.

The assumption is that if rich-guys get to keep more of their money, they will use it to do something that will create jobs. The theory is that they will invest it in ways that put Americans to work.

The reality is that they will will invest it in ways that generate profits for them. That doesn't necessarily put any Americans to work at all. For example:

-shareholder profits often come at the *expense* of American jobs (ie, finding ways to increase corporate profit by outsourcing, or just plain shutting down American operations that are unprofitable. Sure, these are legitimate business decisions, but let's not pretend that shareholder profits = American jobs.)

-investment profits sometimes come from investing in activities that only actually occur on paper (or in e-space...) such as the guys who made vast fortunes shuffling hot air around in the form of derivatives.

What if, instead of giving tax cuts to rich-guys in the hope that they might use the extra money in ways that create jobs, what if they paid their taxes, and they got the breaks when they *actually do* use their money in ways that put Americans to work? Pretty radical idea, huh?

-k

He used his Dad's SS to put him self though school. He did work at McDonald's where he wasn't allowed to work the cash because his boss thought him not suited to interacting with people.

As someone who worked at McDonalds for many years, I am going to say this is not true. It might be what they claim, but the truth is very simple: Ugly people get shoved in the back.

Seriously

Take a look in the kitchen next time you are at a McD and you'll see what I mean.

The front counter favours young, fit, females. You'll find other types there too, but they will either be "hot" or super friendly.