OCCUPY

WWWTT

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacee, there are maybe 4 guys hanging around a park in downtown Hamilton! You can't tell if they've put up any new tents - there's more around from the winos!

Those 4 guys may have wifi happening and are trying to make it look like they have a large and active scene going on but in reality - nobody is noticing and nobody cares!

We don't even have any merchants complaining and asking for them to be removed! There's not enough of them to bother anybody!

I won't even waste parking money to go visit one of those few! Certainly, they have had little coverage in our local media. Some farmer having a 2-headed calf would draw far more than the OCCUPY protesters have managed here!

You're trying to put lipstick on a pig!

you haven't even read the links, so no point discussing it with you. Tents downtown? No. Edited by jacee

When did you speak with the Soviet Union on this matter? Are you aware of their efforts to track the Apollo missions, receive communications, and record telemetry data?

What about the Jodrell Bank Observatory? And people following the craft part of the way en route using personal telescopes. The Apollo 13 explosion was witnessed live.

Guest Derek L

Is this a trend?

Man suffers overdose at Occupy Toronto camp

A dark cloud hung over the Occupy Toronto encampment Tuesday after a protestor was found suffering from an apparent drug overdose.

Police and emergency services workers were called to the makeshift camp in St. James Park where a man in his 20s was found in distress around 10 a.m.

Toronto officials say they have no major concerns about the encampment. Last week Mayor Rob Ford said he was preparing a plan to handle protestors and that "a concrete answer" would be formulated.

Tensions are rising across the country as other cities contemplate evicting the protestors from the parks. This includes the mayor of London, Ont. who gave the protestors a deadline of Tuesday evening to leave.

But back in Vancouver:

Occupy Vancouver protest wins overnight reprieve

The City of Vancouver’s efforts to obtain a court injunction against the protest occupation of the city’s art gallery property will have to wait until Wednesday.

The delay was granted in order to give Michael McCubbin, the newly retained lawyer for Occupy Vancouver, to prepare his arguments.

That’s generous…..considering

Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu also said Tuesday that Occupy Vancouver protesters needed to pack up their encampment or face arrest.

Chu told reporters that a clash Monday night between police, firefighters and protesters proves it is no longer a peaceful exercise. He said protesters bent on violence have gone over the line.

"Last night, this element fought with firefighters and police, sending two police officers to hospital with human bite wounds," Chu said.

"Our officers received the full wrath of the protesters. In the scuffle, one officer had his ammunition clip stolen. This can no longer stand."

Chu said the once-peaceful protest has been infiltrated by dangerous people, creating a divide within the camp between militant and peaceful protesters.

He said police are still hoping for a peaceful end, but are prepared to move in and take down the encampment if the protesters refuse to leave.

Attacking police and firefighters…………time to wrap it up……

Here's the video:

Edited by Derek L

It's going to cost the taxpayers $25,000 to replace the grass that has been ruined in the park, and if the city can't get at the sprinkler system in the park it will cost the taxpayers $50,000. All of this and the fact that the people can't use the park that they pay taxes for because there is lazy wanna be hippies squatting there.

Of the myriad issues that Occupy has brought attention to, you're concerned about a few thousand dollars worth of damaged grass? Really?

OH, did they bring some issues to the limelight, they'll be surprised also as none of them knew what they were protesting.

And it isn't a few thousand dollars. Now just imagine if mayor Ford wasted $75- $100,000 that's all you would hear every minute of the day.

They are bums, squatters, no matter how you look at it.

Guest Derek L

It's going to cost the taxpayers $25,000 to replace the grass that has been ruined in the park, and if the city can't get at the sprinkler system in the park it will cost the taxpayers $50,000. All of this and the fact that the people can't use the park that they pay taxes for because there is lazy wanna be hippies squatting there.

Never really heard or thought about that……..So adding that with the policing costs, we must be upto about $600K……..Just watching the news, they’re saying only about 15-20 campers are sleeping their overnight……Also heard the Police Department is likely going into deficit.

OH, did they bring some issues to the limelight, they'll be surprised also as none of them knew what they were protesting.

And it isn't a few thousand dollars. Now just imagine if mayor Ford wasted $75- $100,000 that's all you would hear every minute of the day.

They are bums, squatters, no matter how you look at it.

They're showing solidarity with these folks

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/they-dont-really-seem-to-know-why-they-are-protesting/

Guest Derek L

And what would the cost be to society if protest was never allowed?

WWWTT

Falun Gong have been protesting outside the Chinese consulate in Vancouver for years………As far as I know, their peaceful protest doesn’t cost the city anything……….Nor do I know of any major opposition amongst the general public against it.

Guest Derek L

I'm wondering about the Toronto budget... we know they have 0$ in the budget for Stanley Cup riots.

:(

True be told, I'm the only Leafs fan in my household (It gets rather tense Leafs vs Canucks games).....I hate the Canucks :ph34r:

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml;jsessionid=OI-Kx2ctHcumxYtFXkRWDQ**?&catid=57320862&feed_id=0&videofeed=36&nb_splitPage=0&emvcc=-1&emvAD=320x397

VANCOUVER - Vancouver's police chief has ssued a public warning to Occupy protesters, ordering them to disperse after protesters, ordering them to disperse after an overnight scuffle that sent two officers to hospital with human bite wounds

Chief Jim Chu says a fight broke out when

firefighters moved in to the protest camp to extinguish a fire in a barrel around midnight.

He says police stepped in when people in black masks ...

I gotta say ...

STRIKERS ARE ALLOWED BARRELS!!

From a pure safety perspective, this action is indefensible.

I wonder who gave the order and why.

Stooooooooopud.

A fire in a barrel is a bylaw offence at best, and

Does not warrant violence by police.

Edited by jacee

The cops protect firefighters being assaulted, get bitten (WTF?), have ammunition stolen, and this is a mistake by the cops?

The fire chief seems to be under orders from city hall to enforce any and all bylaws, what does this decision have to do with the cops? I commend VPD for doing a good job....for once.

Edited by Handsome Rob

Guest Derek L

VANCOUVER - Vancouver's police chief has ssued a public warning to Occupy protesters, ordering them to disperse after protesters, ordering them to disperse after an overnight scuffle that sent two officers to hospital with human bite wounds

Chief Jim Chu says a fight broke out when firefighters moved in to the protest camp to extinguish a fire in a barrel around midnight.

He says police stepped in when people in black masks ...[/i]

I gotta say ...

STRIKERS ARE ALLOWED BARRELS!!

From a pure safety perspective, this action is indefensible.

I wonder who gave the order and why.

Stooooooooopud.

A fire in a barrel is a bylaw offence at best, and

Does not warrant violence by police.

An open flame, in a public area, surrounded with empty tents, propane/MAPP tanks is not a risk?

And police violence? Who got hurt? I’ve only heard about the two VPD members going to hospital with human bite marks………and the Victoria city workers getting bottles of urine thrown at them…….

Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Saskatoon, Quebec City, London Ont. And now Toronto are all in the works to clean up these “campers”………You’re right, a national movement did occur, one of opposition………Just wait until the first window gets smashed and the first police officer/Firefighter/Paramedic gets seriously injured by these idiots…..

My free advice to the remaining occupiers……..leave with dignity and what remaining public support you have……….

Here's an opinion piece from a local left leaning newspaper:

Occupy Vancouver Turning off Its Power Source

A few interesting points:

Occupy Vancouver was supposed to be talking about a revolution -- against big business greed and obscene income inequality.
Instead Occupy Vancouver has turned into a sad parody of a revolution -- with absurd demands and no recognition that a squat on city property does diddly-squat to build support for the real change that would curb corporate control.

But best of all:

But it could help Vancouver's right-wing Non-Partisan Association regain control of the city in the Nov. 19 municipal election by defeating Mayor Gregor Robertson and his Vision Vancouver and Coalition of Progressive Electors team.

That would be a brilliant "revolution" indeed -- to elect a council full of people who oppose everything Occupy Wall Street has raised.

And to defeat a progressive majority who are trying to end street homelessness, make Vancouver the greenest city in the world and an arts and culture capital.

:lol:

Prior to the campsite, the NPA had a snowballs chance in hell........Thank-You Occupy!

As I said a few weeks ago, flower-power created Nixon.

Guest Derek L

Received this in an email from the brother in-law……..I’ve seen some of his other pieces, and though I don’t always agree, he does make some good points:

Though not following his proposal to a tee, I’d estimate the males of my (close) family (including my old fart of a father) get “our time in” nearly once or twice a year when we go hunting……..

Edited by Derek L

I believe that no other agency or group has bein able to independantly scientifically verify NASA's claim of the lunar landing!

What you believe is indeed wrong.

1. Many agencies have measured the distance to the moon using the retroreflectors left there by the Apollo missions. Had the missions not happened, those retroreflectors would not be there. This is an easy experiment to do and has been done by universities, students, and scientists in many countries. They were even featured in an episode of the Big Bang Theory.

2. The lunar landing sites and physical landers have been directly photographed by other spacecraft.

3. The terrain in the original 1960s photographs exactly matches the terrain as mapped by Japanese and Indian probes that radar mapped the Moon's surface. No radar maps of lunar terrain existed in the 1960s, and constructing (hoaxing) the exact right topography by chance is statistically impossible.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-party_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings#Photographs

Edited by Bonam

A fire IN A BARREL does not warrant risking violence.

Safety is a police call.

They called it wrong.

Do you get out much? It's obvious the police didn't really call anything!

The Mayor and the city council must have decided that they had had enough of the squatters in the park. So they tell the police to clear them out. If the police actually asked "With what charge?" the politicians would have said "Whatever you want!"

So the cops watch for a while and nothing is going on. Finally, they decide to use the barrels as an excuse.

What are the protesters going to do? It's not likely they have the resources to hire some bigwig lawyer! Besides, mayors are too smart for that. They wouldn't make such a move unless they were confident that public opinion was on their side. Even if one of the protesters had an uncle that was a lawyer and would work for free, so what? The worst that would happen is that the protesters would get a little money in a settlement. The City can easily afford it and the voters would think it cheap at the price to get rid of the protesters.

That's how such things work. That's how they've ALWAYS worked!

Safety is a police call.

They called it wrong.

It does when them protesters are stoned half the time.

It does when there is propane nearby.

It does when there are flammable objects nearby.

The protestors don't have to resort to violence. Do they ink we live in a banana republic where the cops take you out back and get shot. Maybe if they didn't resist arrest they wouldn't risk getting hurt in the first place. There's a place to "fight" the cops, it's this place called court, what a wonderful concept. If you did nothing wrong the judge let's you go and there is no record of what happened, if only we had this in north America, oh wait we do!

Guest Derek L

Safety is a police call.

They called it wrong.

Seems to be a bad habit of VPD.

No, (fire) safety is the Fire Department's call.