OCCUPY

WWWTT

The 99% is a myth, but if the protesters really do believe they represent 99% of our population, why weren't there more of them at the protests. I'm one of the supposed 99% but I wouldn't support what appeared to be nothing fringe lunatics at the Toronto 'protests'.

Even hard left winger John Moore (of CFRB) said he didn't want to crap on their parade, but.... not to mention Canada is not equivalent to the U.S. at all, and why are they not protesting in Ottawa or in the U.S. - Washington. Only the MPs can make legislative changes, not bankers or brokers.

I'd still like to see something coherent from any of them as to what exactly they expect to happen, and if no gov't moves to do anything (what exactly), then what - violence or will they go home as it gets colder.

Moore a "hard left winger"?

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh.

He's stated on numerous occasions that he's a Libertarian.

Try and get your perverted facts right mmkay?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering.

Of all the people here who do not like/approve of OCCUPY,how many of you approved the middle east protests?

If so then please explain why you make the distinction.

WWWTT

Good point. To me there really is no distinction. The demands are pretty much the same, more affordable education, reduce the high unemployment, general masses not happy with the government, prices are going up, wages going down, while those who are working have to work more and more to make ends meet.

Here's a snapshot of the typical protestor. Not really any surprises. Typical clueless freeloaders.

They might be freeloaders, but hardly clueless. If you understood the concept of culture jamming you might not be so clueless.

They are getting national TV exposure to get their culture jamming messages out - on SunTV no less, for free! Who out smarted who? In the States, the lack of exposure by the media at first caused some wider spread concern of censorship, which they have quickly backed down from.

And by the way, get the hell out of the road! Those people trying to get home from their jobs are not billionaires in limousines. They're ordinary people who actually work for a living and can't afford to sit around in parks all day protesting about the capitalist plot to destroy mankind.

Because you work for the capitalists. Without even knowing it, you are just another little Eichmann...

I don't have a problem with peaceful protests that have a specific message. If it's a cohesive argument aimed at a specific possible change for a rational reason, go to it. Doesn't matter if I or anyone else shares your point of view, if you have a point, make it.

This "Occupy" movement in Canada? I don't see any of that. What is it that they are specifically trying to accomplish? It's scattershot and non-sensical.

I think they're trying to articulate the same thing most protesters are around the world are. Getting the state on people's side instead of on their backs for a change. As I see it money is only half the problem. Power is to money as time is to space they're both essentially the same thing. It should come as no surprise that a sense of powerlessness amongst the electorate is the most common reason cited in studies of low voter turnout.

Closing the power gap is just as important as narrowing the income gap but it's probably not enough to say close one and the other will follow automatically.

Who’s preventing them? The Tea Party started much the same size, and has since grafted itself onto the GOP, and achieved positive results in the last election.

Read your own post. There is no viable third option. If you read some of the commentary from the original Tea Party supporters, it's clear that it didn't graft itself onto the GOP, so much as it was co-opted by the GOP and became something that it was not.

They might be freeloaders, but hardly clueless. If you understood the concept of culture jamming you might not be so clueless.

They are getting national TV exposure to get their culture jamming messages out - on SunTV no less, for free! Who out smarted who? In the States, the lack of exposure by the media at first caused some wider spread concern of censorship, which they have quickly backed down from.

If you actually heard any of them talk you'd agree that clueless is the right word!

The Egyptians had a goal ... and leaders ... OWS does not so why are they comparing it to that?

All y'all are missing the point, which is precisely that it does not have leaders or any particular goal. It's mass catharsis using the modern tools of social media. Of course it won't look like the protests of yesteryear (I speak here mainly of the real OWS and not the usual suspects of its offshoots here in Toronto).

Try and get yours right mmkay

I do have my facts straight.

Proving you wrong is easy. :)

You Can't Legislate Morality

Posted By: John Moore [email protected] · 6/16/2011 5:02:00 PM

With the debate over prostitution raging across the land Jerry Agar and I have been exchanging on air notes about the role that government has in regulating behavior. Regular listeners will know I am a libertarian; government has no role in legislating morality which means when it comes to prostitution two people should be free to enter into whatever relationship they want as long as they are both willing.

And here's your cite: http://www.newstalk1010.com/shows/johnmoore/blogentry.aspx?blogEntryID=10252012

Thanks for showing your idiocy once more... it was good for another laugh at your expense.

:lol:

Edited by Rick

Guest American Woman
I was just wondering.

Of all the people here who do not like/approve of OCCUPY,how many of you approved the middle east protests?

If so then please explain why you make the distinction.

This is one of the problems I have with this whole protest - the comparison to the middle east protests. There IS no comparison. The protests in the ME took place because they don't have the rights that we have.

I don't think a whole lot of the protesters in our nations realize just how good we have it. I think people need to realize what we all have in our countries rather than always complaining about the inequities - which are always going to exist to a certain degree simply because people make different choices and have different priorities. If they want equal distribution of wealth, they don't want a democracy. Our countries are founded on equal rights, not equal wealth distribution.

I don't think a whole lot of the protesters in our nations realize just how good we have it. I think people need to realize what we all have in our countries rather than always complaining about the inequities - which are always going to exist to a certain degree simply because people make different choices and have different priorities. If they want equal distribution of wealth, they don't want a democracy. Our countries are founded on equal rights, not equal wealth distribution.

Very well put.....and those choices are all over the map.

One of the "occupiers", a lady named Fawn is a single parent - she went back to University to earn a chemistry degree but the "only jobs she could find" were with large multi-national pharmaceutical companies. She refused to work for them because they didn't have "her values". So she's unemployed and still a single parent. Her choice to be part of the "inequity".

I think to some degree we are starting to see the downside of the Liberalization of our Education system - a system that over the past 20 years has become so child-centric, so obsessed with self-esteem issues, so freely giving of marks that bear no relation to the hard work that should be applied to attain them - a system that today is so bereft of consequences and replaced with entitlement - that kids who need to be pushed, not coddled are simply not equipped for the realities of starting at the bottom, working hard, applying one's self and becoming the best that they can.

The distinction is so obvious it's embarassing to have to point it out: people protesting in Canadian cities do not live in an oppressive dictatorship.

Not if your brainwashed of course.

Keep in mind that there were people in middle eastern countries who supported the reigning governments(and still are).

Actually from what you are saying you would be the counterpart of say a Ghaddafi supporter fighting the rebells.

WWWTT

I’m a right winger, and don’t consider these protestors as “bums”, I’d think more of along the lines of “brats”, but that’s neither here nor there……….I agree with you though on your point about getting out and voting…….sure they might be a small percentage of the population, I’m certain the political parties would welcome them……fresh sets of legs to do door knocking, sign post hanging and flyer handing out are always welcomed……….I’d think they would be especially welcome in the smaller progressive parties like the Greens for example……and due to it being a smaller party, their voice would go farther on deciding policy and platform.

Really?!?!

Well according to your line of thinking women,natives and pretty much anyone who isn't rich still would not be able to vote in Canada!

All of these injustises have been corrected via the actions of public protest!

I would never be so quick to diminish the merit or value public protest has contributed to our western democracy!

Actually to be against public protest is to be against our society!

WWWTT

The thread you have provided the link for is under US/Canada relations.

I had stated that I was suprised that nobody started a similar thread under Canada federal politics.

Sometimes I am carefull about what I say.Sometimes

WWWTT

They had a coherent message.

Actually you are making an incorrect implication!

OCCUPY is a protest about several issues revolving around the status given to large corporations.Or the "right of entitlement"that corporations have.Aswell as the involvement of western governments with little interest in changing the current status quo!

The previous topics I have mentioned are more simple/straightforward with a simple/straightforward correction.

For me this current OCCUPY protest is absolutely no different AND no less important!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT