Big Brother and Technology

The more digital and connected things become the more problems like this we are going to see.

http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/13/8308841-govt-cameras-in-your-car-e-toll-patent-hints-at-big-brotherish-future

Imagine that you couldn't drive on major highways without agreeing to put a camera in your car -- one that could film either the occupants or the vehicle’s surroundings and transmit the images back to a central office for inspection.

You don't have to read George Orwell to conjure up such an ominous surveillance state. You just have to skim through filings at the U.S. Patent Office.

How much are people going to put up with? When is enough enough? Open society with a closed government. I think people need to be more concerned about this than ever.

Keep in mind that technology is a double-edged sword...

Yes, there is a risk that some of our privacy will be threatened by technology. (And we should be willing to push back against some of the more egregious cases.) However, it also has the ability to help keep "the authorities" honest. There is a chance that (for example) police will be a bit more careful in their treatment of prisoners if they know attempts to "beat them" could be caught by a passer-by with a cell phone camera, or that electronic communications of a questionable nature may get forwarded outside of government.

Keep in mind that technology is a double-edged sword...

Yes, there is a risk that some of our privacy will be threatened by technology. (And we should be willing to push back against some of the more egregious cases.) However, it also has the ability to help keep "the authorities" honest. There is a chance that (for example) police will be a bit more careful in their treatment of prisoners if they know attempts to "beat them" could be caught by a passer-by with a cell phone camera, or that electronic communications of a questionable nature may get forwarded outside of government.

Seems like they need more monitoring than the general public.

Be a trusting kid and post your life on Face Book - you have created a potential quasi-crimminal record that those that control your income can access - that is big brother in the making.

For sure...yesterday we had some idiot kill two highway construction workers with his newly acquired (used) Mitsubishi 3000GT. So the highway patrol checked his FaceSchmuck page to read him bragging about how fast he was going to drive.

Some of these kids are really stupid like that but expect "privacy". You want privacy...use a nasty pay phone!

For sure...yesterday we had some idiot kill two highway construction workers with his newly acquired (used) Mitsubishi 3000GT. So the highway patrol checked his FaceSchmuck page to read him bragging about how fast he was going to drive.

Some of these kids are really stupid like that but expect "privacy". You want privacy...use a nasty pay phone!

When your kids are grown - the state can not steal them...when you are old you are pretty much useless to the state also...so I can shoot my mouth off and it does not matter much - but what I do realize is that there is a future for young people - mine is pretty much limited...and within that future - human nature has it that those researching you via the net - are more than willing to feel powerful and believe the worst...so when I see some kid say "kill the president" - He is not about to get a job at the WHITE HOUSE ever! - Yah I know of one such twit...he intentionally provokes through the net hoping that some guys in black suits will come to his door...so he can feel important - just by clicking the keys - but seeing there are a million twits out their - this kid will wait and waste a life time thinking that he is of importance.

Well there are things you can do to minimize what is online and don't put every stupid thing up there, however, the things I am talking about are implementations of Big Brother you have no control over.

- Yah I know of one such twit...he intentionally provokes through the net hoping that some guys in black suits will come to his door...so he can feel important - just by clicking the keys - but seeing there are a million twits out their - this kid will wait and waste a life time thinking that he is of importance.

It's grand fun....back when we first learned of Echelon we would inject content just to get some attention...like "nuclear triggers", "nerve agent", "weapons grade", "physics package", "plutonium", ...stuff like that.

It's grand fun....back when we first learned of Echelon we would inject content just to get some attention...like "nuclear triggers", "nerve agent", "weapons grade", "physics package", "plutonium", ...stuff like that.

Yah and some clunker computer would have little red lights go off at some master site..It's not like that today - the observer must have intent and purpose when investigating..the net is so vast that it is unmanageable - unless some one has it out for you in real life. The other day my daugher and I were texting back and forth...She was talking about main stream print media..There was a picture in Vogue Magazine of some 10 year old child dressed like a reclining hooker...Both of us agreed that when mainstream print starts to use this type of sensationalism to increase sales that the world is turning to poop....so - we dropped the subject.

..THEN a couple of hours later my daughter sends the pic through the phone thinking that I might comment on it...I wrote back - "I know you mean well but there are people out there who are crazy - who if they want monitor this crap - don't do that".....anyway the moral of the story is - be prudent..and remember that human nature is such that it searches for defects and weakness in others...technololgy is the perfect tool for the inept and weak to gain dominance over their natural superiours - In the old days if someone wanted to slander you - they might have to face the wrath of a physical slap up side the head - Now twits attack the strong - via the virtual world - weasils use the net to harm...cos they are of little effect in the real world.

Soon as I mention Bush Cheney - instead of the red light going on - all the lights go out...why is that ?

The more man kind stores his intelligence in machines - the less he stores in his scull - welcome to the brave new world of artifical intelligence - and the de-evolution of real human intelligence....You are going to need a big brother to take care of your stupid ass if you keep depending on that stupid out side your skull device.