Was Labour Minister bribed by Air Canada?

Weren't we arguing about positions of trust here recently? Something about some Chinese reporter? If the Minister of Labour, and I'm not saying it did happen, but if she received a gratuity from the company she is now backing with union-busting legislation, then it would indeed be a conflict of interest and that's on her.

It was a dumb and arrogant move to even fly on Air Canada.

She should have used another one and avoided it entirely.

Plenty of other options for her flight.

I do believe however, that this is not as big as the media is making it out to be. Conflict of interest, yes. But, this is receiving more attention than the real conflicts of interest like Copyright Protection bill or the G8 funding IMO. Maybe because they are older and this is fresh but, still... It was pretty much all I heard about in the car on the way to work this morning and on the way home last night.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if she received a gratuity from the company she is now backing with union-busting legislation, then it would indeed be a conflict of interest and that's on her.

It is not enough to show she received a 'gratuity'. You have to show she knew she had received a 'gratuity' when she got on the plane.

It is not enough to show she received a 'gratuity'. You have to show she knew she had received a 'gratuity' when she got on the plane.

So... she wouldn't have been aware that she was now sitting in Business Class?

Holy crap. She's also a dunce.

So... she wouldn't have been aware that she was now sitting in Business Class?
As I have explained many times above: frequent flyers get upgrades handed to them at the gates for many reasons. She would have no way to know this upgrade had any connection to what the COO did. Unless you can show that she knew the upgrade was a special favour you got nothing.

As I have explained many times above: frequent flyers get upgrades handed to them at the gates for many reasons. She would have no way to know this upgrade had any connection to what the COO did. Unless you can show that she knew the upgrade was a special favour you got nothing.

McCallum told CityNews MPs are allowed to purchase a business class ticket if the flight is longer than two hours. The flight from Toronto to Ottawa is less than an hour.

McCallum told CityNews MPs are allowed to purchase a business class ticket if the flight is longer than two hours. The flight from Toronto to Ottawa is less than an hour.

Perhaps you aren't understanding. If she used an upgrade, she wouldn't have had to purchase a more expensive ticket.

You obviously have no clue. Frequent flyers who buy economy tickets are entitled to upgrades at no cost. If McCallum says that they can purchase Business class for flights over two hours then I am sure Raitt had plenty of free upgrades that she is entitled to. But these free upgrades are not guaranteed - you find out at the airport if you get them for any specific flight. Edited by TimG

There you have it. olp1fan's critical analysis of the facts to assign guilt or innocence. :rolleyes:

All you have to do is look into someones eyes, watch their movements and listen to their voices to know if they are lying

unless they are a psychopath then its harder but I doubt shes a psychopath

DAMN I knew I shouldn't have accepted that upgrade last year.Now I likely will be investigated and hounded about it.

I am a conservative voter and as such am under suspicion to accept bribes from Westjet. I guess at that time I should have told them that I don't know any politicians (altho I once did see the Mayor of our town as he walked past our house) , I don't have any influence with anyone and so didn't deserve the chance to sit forward of the engines & enjoy a free ham sandwich & can of Pepsi as we passed over Broaview Sask.

Gotta go now & guard the front door in case all the reporters mob it..

lisa raitt is only going to make more people mad enough to go to an occupy demo

Well we know you won't be at any "occupy demo". You're on record that you'll stay safe while letting others do the heaving lifting. You'll watch from afar while nibbling on popcorn. That really shows commitment to your cause. :lol: