Was Labour Minister bribed by Air Canada?

if she was given an upgrade because she flies a lot why is the COOs name on a document signalling her upgrade?

she also seemed to be stumbling her words out

http://m.citynews.ca/news/160540/index.php?src=http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/national/article/160540--citynews-exclusive-labour-minister-raitt-involved-in-apparent-conflict-of-interest

As she is making headlines for stepping in and helping to squash a possible strike by Air Canada flight attendants, Labour Minister Lisa Raitt finds herself in a possible conflict of interest

CityNews has uncovered an internal Air Canada document apparently showing a confirmed upgrade to business class for Raitt, authorized by the airlines Chief Operating Officer Duncan Dee.

Dee is also responsible for Air Canada’s government relations.

The name of Air Canada's COO appeared on Raitt's passenger record for a September 25 Toronto Ottawa flight. On September 19, Raitt announced a notice had been filed that back to work legislation would be introduced to end a strike by Air Canada's Flight attendants.

Raitt denies any allegations of special treatment.

“When I use upgrades I utilize my own, my electronic upgrades. I don’t know what that’s about…My instruction to staff is to utilize whatever upgrades I have. I travel a lot, I have a lot of electronic upgrades and that’s the stuff that we use so I actually don’t know what that is at all,” said Raitt.

“I don’t know what Duncan’s authorizing, because if I used an upgrade, I used an upgrade that was mine. And in terms of the information, I’ve not seen that before. That looks to be some documentation from Air Canada,” said Raitt.

Air Canada told CityNews they don’t comment on individual customers. When asked why Dee’s name appears on Raitt’s document, airline spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said “His office upgrades lots of people.”

Political insiders say this situation appears suspect.

“At a minimum, this is the mother of all apparent conflicts of interest,” said John McCallum, Liberal MP for Markham-Union.

“I don’t want to pre-judge it, but it looks smelly. You don’t have to be a genius to figure out this looks a bit smelly.”

McCallum, a former cabinet minister, said getting an upgrade from the airline would be “unheard of.”

McCallum told CityNews MPs are allowed to purchase a business class ticket if the flight is longer than two hours. The flight from Toronto to Ottawa is less than an hour.

The union representing Air Canada’s flight attendants didn’t want to comment for this story.

Edited by olp1fan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCallum told CityNews MPs are allowed to purchase a business class ticket if the flight is longer than two hours. The flight from Toronto to Ottawa is less than an hour.
If Raitt flys alot she will have plenty of upgrade points. Upgrading her on a Ottawa-Toronto flight is noise from the point of view of a frequent flyer. Equivalent to buying a cup of coffee. I suspect this was some automatic process which the union dug up to smear Raitt.

If Raitt flys alot she will have plenty of upgrade points. Upgrading her on a Ottawa-Toronto flight is noise from the point of view of a frequent flyer. Equivalent to buying a cup of coffee. I suspect this was some automatic process which the union dug up to smear Raitt.

That doesn't explain why the COOs sig. is on her upgrade document or will you just ignore that?

Not likely since the union's not commenting.

Pee-eeewww!! Something really SMELLY here!

For what it's worth, I don't think Harper is the corruption-for-money type (like Mulroney), more the corruption for power type, much more dangerous, imo.

But the gang he hangs with? ... peeee-eeww!

That doesn't explain why the COOs sig. is on her upgrade document or will you just ignore that?
So what? I got a free upgrade two weeks ago from Calgary to Vancouver. I don't know what the concierge had to do to get it but she had to get someone higher up to authorize it. Maybe they are all signed by the COO as a formality. In any case, an upgade on Ottawa-Toronto flight is quite meaningless. Worth as much as a cup of coffee to people who fly all of the time. It is the long flights where business class upgrades are worth it.

Like I said. This is a set up by the union. A normal procedure made to look like it was abnormal.

Edited by TimG

Not likely since the union's not commenting.

Pee-eeewww!! Something really SMELLY here!

For what it's worth, I don't think Harper is the corruption-for-money type (like Mulroney), more the corruption for power type, much more dangerous, imo.

But the gang he hangs with? ... peeee-eeww!

agreed, harper isn't money hungry, hes power hungry

you can tell

So what? I got a free upgrade two weeks ago from Calgary to Vancouver. I don't know what the concierge had to do to get it but she had to get someone higher up to authorize it. Maybe they are all signed by the COO as a formality. In any case, an upgade on Ottawa-Toronto flight is quite meaningless. Worth as much as a cup of coffee to people who fly all of the time. It is the long flights where business class upgrades are worth it.

so according to you theres nothing to see here

gotcha

conflict of interests dont always have to be big for them to be immoral

Edited by olp1fan

conflict of interests dont always have to be big for them to be immoral
Doesn't that go both ways? The person that arranged for my upgrade was a union member. Are you checking all of the NDP MPs for the 'free upgrades' they have been quitely given by AC union members? I am sure it happens. But you don't have people leaking the details to the press in order to smear those MPs. Edited by TimG

Doesn't that go both ways? The person that arranged for my upgrade was a union member. Are you checking all of the NDP MPs for the 'free upgrades' they have been quitely given by AC union members? I am sure it happens. But you don't have people leaking the details to the press in order to smear those MPs.

Can you prove this or are you just retaliating by making baseless assumptions?

Can you prove this or are you just retaliating by making baseless assumptions?
No more baseless then the innuendo you posted to start with. Frequent fliers get free upgrades all of the time for legimate reasons. You have yet to provide any evidence that Raitt's upgrade was not part of the normal process and unconnected with anything else.

Why do you get back to us when you have actual evidence.

You are also ignoring the fact that the source of this information must have been union member with access to the passenger records. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Edited by TimG

No more baseless then the innuendo you posted to start with. Frequent fliers get free upgrades all of the time for legimate reasons. You have yet to provide any evidence that Raitt's upgrade was not part of the normal process and unconnected with anything else.

Why do you get back to us when you have actual evidence.

You are also ignoring the fact that the source of this information must have been union member with access to the passenger records. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Hold on, I not once accused her, I asked questions

but you flat out accused NDP MPs

sir, you are out to lunch and I am done with you right now

Hold on, I not once accused her, I asked questions. but you flat out accused NDP MPs
Bull****. You accused her of taking a bribe even though you don't have one shread of evidence other than union supplied innuendo.

I am amused to see you get so upset when the shoe is on the other foot.

NDP will ask Ethics Commissioner to investigate apparent conflict of interest between Raitt and Air Canada.
So are those NDP MPs going submit all records of the upgrades they have received over the years and the explanation for them? I doubt that. It would make them look bad. Edited by TimG

So are those NDP MPs going submit all records of the upgrades they have received over the years and the explanation for them? I doubt that. It would make them look bad.

Couldn't find me accusing Raitt of conflict of interest?

don't become a lawyer junior

Edited by olp1fan

okay, show me the post where i accused her
This entire thread is your accusation. Look at the title "Was Labour Minister bribed by Air Canada" - an obviously rhetorical question when you look at your post. No one is fooled by your semantic games. Edited by TimG

Considering the content of the article it is the first logical question a person would ask themselves
The first question I asked is "what does the union hope to accomplish by smearing the minister?". You picked that question because you wanted to accuse the minister of taking a bribe.

Seems like the government is going after unions who strike and would hurt the economy if they went on strike. So does this mean they are going after all unions or just the ones that interfere in their daily lives? I don't remember any Feds acting the way this government does towards workers. Chrysler and the UAW in the US, just reached an agreement and we didn't see the State government putting their nose were it shouldn't be and they are worse off than this country. Who is next on their list to bully?

Chrysler and the UAW in the US, just reached an agreement and we didn't see the State government putting their nose were it shouldn't be and they are worse off than this country. Who is next on their list to bully?
The Chrysler and GM bailouts are an example where the government steam rolled over the bond holders in order to protect union pensions. Obama is so corrupt he even used the IRS to threaten bond holders that tried to stand up for their rights.