Mosque coming to Markham

xul

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Western prosperity originated mainly from shedding the shackles of the Church and embracing learning, science, and technology. The West's rise in power and preeminence went in lockstep with the decline of the Church. And, if anything, one can perhaps also correlate America's recent decline with the resurgence of religion and its greater influence on public affairs, though causation would be hard to show at this point.

There is a joke:

A few thousands years ago, ET interstellar explorer Allah landed his starship on a desert area of the planet earth and found human women's tender skin of their faces were scorched by desert searing sun.

"A woman should always hood her face if she goes out of home," Allah kindly reminded a human mulla.

Failing to understand the reason of Allah's instruction, the mulla simply wrote down what Allah said on his book.

Thousands years later, the book has become a holy book so that some human women still obey the instruction of the holy book by hooding their faces outside home even if they are inside a subway car, without any thinking of why Allah told them to do that...

Unfortunately, nowadays not only some "church" going people cares more on what the holy books say than on why the holy books say, but some of our dear lawyers also treat the laws as their holy book. They never realize that the laws, are just like other man-made stuff, which always needs to be updated to fit the circumstance of the changing real world.

Edited by xul

Have you considered voicing your concerns to city council? Or is it too late for that.

No, I will not. I guess few of my neighbours would do this. Just imagine, how would those Muslim residents feel if their neighbours started such kind of movement against their holy temple?

It seems like Canadian are more uncanadian...,LOL, I was more uncanadian than I thought. :P

'Frustration' spurs meeting on mosque

The local councillor has been receiving e-mails and phone calls from not just residents living near the mosque, but also from Cornell to the east and Ward 4 to the west about the approved mosque, he said.

I think I should also change my Chinese Canfucian harmonious neighbourhood mind and join the Canadian holy-ass kicking party to become more Canadian. :lol:

You are ill-informed. If you want a 3m slide you have every right to put it up. If you are proposing another structure that doesn't comply with the zoning by-laws then you might have to apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a vairance. In the course of due process they will contact your neighbour, to advise them that they have a right to file an objection however, is has nothing to do with their approval. The Committee only hears their objection if it has some basis in planning law or planning principles. Things like :I don't like it" or "It will block my view" are ignored by Committee.

Wrong again. Neither the Municipality or the Provincial governments have any say in the construction of communications towers. The are regulated under federal law and are exempt from all planning authority approvals and building codes.

So this comment can be easily ignored as false. You have to KNOW Canada before your can COMMENT on us and our laws.

I suggest you should get a bit more grasp on what others are discussing before you comment on others posts.

This is not a thread on how many meters height slide laws allow me to put up in my back yard but why.

Obviously the reason of why there is a legal limit on the height of an object in my back yard is that it may affect others who live outside the lot of my house.

Edited by xul

I suggest you should get a bit more grasp on what others are discussing before you comment on others posts.

This is not a thread on how many meters height slide laws allow me to put up in my back yard but why.

Obviously the reason of why there is a legal limit on the height of an object in my back yard is that it may affect others who live outside the lot of my house.

Nope. You might want to brush up on the Planning and Municipal Acts.

The purpose of limiting heights under zoning by-laws to to maintain a certain character to residential neighbourhoods. Homes and permitted accessory structures are limited in size so that they cannot be used for businesses or other uses out of character. However, if the use - such as a pool slide - is in keeping with the "intent" of the by-law then Council, through their Committee of Adjustment can authorize a variance from that by-law to permit the extraordinary height or size. And while the Committee of Adjustment is required to notify neighbours within 300m of the address, the Committee only considers issues that have a basis in planning. Complaints about loss of property value or interference with neighbour's views are ignored since they are subjective issues without any basis in fact.

Nope. You might want to brush up on the Planning and Municipal Acts.

You still don't understand why your "charter" and laws give people the right of holding a demonstration, signing a petition and expressing or posting their opinions freely, even if what those demonstrators, petitioners and posters ask for are totally against the laws and the charter.

The reason is that laws and even the charter are not like all sorts of holy books which are unchangeable because they were writen by gods. Laws can be changed and they are designed to be changed if necessary.

The purpose of limiting heights under zoning by-laws to to maintain a certain character to residential neighbourhoods.

The purpose of limiting your neighbours around your house to re-build their home to skyscrapers partially is to protect your right of having sunlight from your windows.

As for maintaining a certain character to residential neighbourhood, to build a 135-ft giant mosque among hundreds of two-story houses is just like what the Chinese old saying says, "riding a camel among a horde of sheeps".

Rossland and Ritson in Oshawa. Use Google maps. The churches on the opposite corners are 'normal' churches with normal sized parking lots. I'm not sure how many marked parking spaces there are in the Baptist lot, but there is an expansion area in the back of the church that allows for quite a few more cars to be parked. And, as you can see, smack dab in the middle of a residential area.

This church is 30 seconds from my home and the Pastor lives two doors up... nice guy.

The bigger church that has more impact on traffic etc is the evangelical one on Taunton just west of Somerville... that one is an eyesore.

We do? My next door neighbour is "recent immigrant" Muslim family, they are moving, and I am quite upset about it. Great family.. It will be sad to see them go.

CR has Oshawa confused with Peterborough.

Shwatonians may be a little skeptical from time to time, but if one thing is certain not only do we love foreigners, we especially love their food!

This church is 30 seconds from my home and the Pastor lives two doors up... nice guy.

The bigger church that has more impact on traffic etc is the evangelical one on Taunton just west of Somerville... that one is an eyesore.

Ironically, just down the street is a big Chinese restaurant - the Mandarin. :D

The purpose of limiting your neighbours around your house to re-build their home to skyscrapers partially is to protect your right of having sunlight from your windows.

As for maintaining a certain character to residential neighbourhood, to build a 135-ft giant mosque among hundreds of two-story houses is just like what the Chinese old saying says, "riding a camel among a horde of sheeps".

Don't be silly.

You are not entitled to sunlight. Ask any apartment dweller living downtown Toronto.

There is no limitation on your neighbour's property intended to protect you. They can do anything permitted either factually or intentionally within the zoning by-law.

As I said the Mosque is in keeping with the character of the neighbourhood. The residential zones permit religious centres as permitted uses withing residential zones. Protesting and petitions are useless instruments on single issue nimbys.

CR has Oshawa confused with Peterborough.

Shwatonians may be a little skeptical from time to time, but if one thing is certain not only do we love foreigners, we especially love their food!

Well let me qualify my earlier statement....

They hate foreigners that don't assimilate into the 'shwa mentality. I mean if they don't sit in their garages and drink beer til 2:00 on a week night they are seen as foreign....

They hate foreigners that don't assimilate into the 'shwa mentality. I mean if they don't sit in their garages and drink beer til 2:00 on a week night they are seen as foreign....

No, now you have us confused with Cobourg.

The purpose of limiting heights under zoning by-laws to to maintain a certain character to residential neighbourhoods. Homes and permitted accessory structures are limited in size so that they cannot be used for businesses or other uses out of character.

There is no limitation on your neighbour's property intended to protect you. They can do anything permitted either factually or intentionally within the zoning by-law.

You are still acting like a mullah in a theocratic country by constantly telling people "our holy books allow you to do this but not allow you to do that..." meanwhile without any understanding why holy books allow people to do this but that.

If it is true that "there is no limitation on your neighbour's property intended to protect you", why is "the purpose of limiting heights under zoning by-laws" to restrict them using their houses for businesses? Maybe the laws only protect the politicians who used to collect "business property tax" from the owners of business buildings. :lol:

You even failed to understand why there are laws in every country, nation or tribe. If there is a one person country in the world, and we assume the country is in an isolated and uncharted island, obviously it will not need laws because the only person can do everything which he or she wants without affecting others.

If one day another person climbs ashore the country, a law or a rule, such as one person's realm is in the east end of the island and others in the west, will be set up. The reason of why there is a law or rule because one person's activity may affect another.

Then the third person comes, the law has to be changed to react the new circumstance because of the same reason.

As I said the Mosque is in keeping with the character of the neighbourhood. The residential zones permit religious centres as permitted uses withing residential zones. Protesting and petitions are useless instruments on single issue nimbys.

And you still don't understand why the laws, rules or principles of city-planning allows religious buildings within a residential area. It is because when the laws or rules were writen, there wasn't such thing like that the residents in Oshawa funded to build a grant temple in Toronto to promot their gods. Most funds for a temple in a community came from the residents of the community, so it naturely mainly served for the residents of the community.

But if one day the kings or some billonaires of some foreign countries begin to fund the grant temple building movement here just because they believe the power of their gods are proportionate with the size of the temple of their gods, the ground which the laws or rules were set up has been changed, so the laws or rules have to be changed.

If it is true that "there is no limitation on your neighbour's property intended to protect you", why is "the purpose of limiting heights under zoning by-laws" to restrict them using their houses for businesses?

Wrong.

Taxes. Commercial businesses are taxed at a higher rate and having a business in a residential neighbourhood skirts paying those taxes.

The rest of your garbage is not worth responding to. You have no clue about planning law.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from CR ad have you actually been to the 'shwiggity?

In Picton they drink white wine in their garages until 2 am.

:D

I was just down there on Saturday. I haven't been there for quite sometime and noticed all those wineries, like a little Niagra popping up. Very interesting.

Wrong. The bulk of social formation came out of paganism. The Victorians (Family Compact) rewrote history to make seem like those lazy asses contributed the most.

Nothing wrong with being in harmony with nature - (paganism) seems like a better idea than being a religious fanatic that they call an environmentalist! At least the pagan is connected..where as the rest are not - Jesus Christ practiced a bit of ancient shamanism - making plant wilt at will is pretty high up there>

• 7 months later...

Islamics and their shemite bothers the Jews are very similar - both believe they are superiour to the common Christian pagan. BOTH originate in a hate for the natural world...and both don't like pigs - yet they carry themselvse as such at times.

What's a "Christian pagan"? Can a Christian be a pagan?

But if one day the kings or some billonaires of some foreign countries begin to fund the grant temple building movement here just because they believe the power of their gods are proportionate with the size of the temple of their gods, the ground which the laws or rules were set up has been changed, so the laws or rules have to be changed.

Last time I checked, the town of Markham hasn't changed the law, has it?