Conservatives set to table bill.........

Guest Derek L

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Derek L I question anyone that is so pro-Corporation and so anti- workers. I don't have a problem with this bill. The way you jumped on this I'm just wondering what motivates a guy to be so anti workers rights (Unions). I can only assume you own a business.

Guest Derek L

You know Derek L I question anyone that is so pro-Corporation and so anti- workers. I don't have a problem with this bill. The way you jumped on this I'm just wondering what motivates a guy to be so anti workers rights (Unions). I can only assume you own a business.

Self employed, but only directly employ me, myself and I………..I do whore myself out to corporations though……..How is being in favour of unions “opening their books” anti worker……….Do all union members put blind faith into those that run their union?

Edited by Derek L

Self employed, but only directly employ me, myself and I………..I do whore myself out to corporations though……..How is being in favour of unions “opening their books” anti worker……….Do all union members put blind faith into those that run their union?

It's just the way you jumped on this bill like it was some sort of victory for the conservatives. I mean what is the big deal, and what big problem does this solve? What is the point of this bill?

Guest Derek L

It's just the way you jumped on this bill like it was some sort of victory for the conservatives. I mean what is the big deal, and what big problem does this solve? What is the point of this bill?

Public disclosure of union spending………If you are forced to pay into a union in order to be employed at a specific workplace, that union member should be able to see where their money goes….

I think you must either be a younger guy or never had much close up experience with unions, CitizenX. Those of us who have know that many unions have rarely or never been open and transparent with such things.

For instance, here in Hamilton the steelworkers have been locked out of the U S Steel plant for over a year. The main sticking point has been pensions. There are nearly 20,000 pensioners for a plant that has only 980 some odd workers!

The union has never had a formal vote from the membership about accepting the company's offer, or even if they agree with their union making this the major issue!

If you ask the union they will tell you they HAVE had votes! In fact, they had one just last week! What they won't tell you is that these were not 'secret ballot' votes. They were "show of hands at the union hall" votes.

First off, the union hall has never been able to hold ALL the membership, even now that there are so few of them compared to the 'glory days'! So it is easy to 'stack' the hall with voters all of one persuasion, but that's not the big issue.

The big issue is that it is NOT an easy thing to put your hand up against the flow at such a union meeting! These guys are not university professors. You can expect trouble when you get outside. At the very least, you will spend the rest of your working days at that place looking over your shoulder and eating lunch in the cafeteria by yourself, ostracized from the others. Even if many of your fellow workers agreed with you they would go along with the crowd, in the interests of keeping up the appearance of union solidarity.

And before you start demanding I have a cite or two to prove this, I don't have to! My father, family and many of my friends worked for the steel company. They knew first hand and sadly, one or two even participated in the retaliation.

To those of us of a non-union persuasion, we don't respect this sort of thing! Or a lot of others. Did you know that if you don't belong to a union you are a second class citizen for EI? At plants like General Motors and others, workers with the MOST seniority get the layoffs! Why? Because when laid off the company pays them a supplement to their EI cheque to bring their net pay up to 90% of their working takehome amount. A layoff is then a paid holiday, especially when layoffs in that industry tend to happen in the summer. The 'newbies' have to work but they get to accumulate time of service, towards their seniority levels.

If you or I draw EI and make an extra few bucks cutting lawns we are required by law to declare it and it will be deducted off our cheque!

Deals like these were set up years ago, when unionized industries were much larger than they are today. Politicians appealed to the large blocs of voters, especially the NDP. Today, politicians don't see the need to care as much but the deals are still in place.

This is why some of us may be a bit hasty in crowing over some change to the special deals of the unions! The actual issue at the time may not be a big deal but its the overall picture that has stuck in many non-union people's craw.

Union to be forced to open books........About time the unions play fair......If charities and religious organisations have to, why not Unions……….Corporations open their books to revenue Canada……….tit-for tat.

This bill should apply to anyone who is tax exempt or gets a tax break from the government Corporations to. To bad the government is a bunch of hypocrites who think they can pick winners and losers in Canada. Just like the Liberals.

This bill should apply to anyone who is tax exempt or gets a tax break from the government Corporations to. To bad the government is a bunch of hypocrites who think they can pick winners and losers in Canada. Just like the Liberals.

I have three exposures to unions. In the first, they beat the shit out of my dad. In the second, they threatened me with death. In the third, they made me waste about $5000.00 of my employer's money on total bullshit, to support a fellow union. So piss off.

I have three exposures to unions. In the first, they beat the shit out of my dad. In the second, they threatened me with death. In the third, they made me waste about $5000.00 of my employer's money on total bullshit, to support a fellow union. So piss off.

Unless your about to backup your claims I think you ought to piss off.

Public disclosure of union spending………If you are forced to pay into a union in order to be employed at a specific workplace, that union member should be able to see where their money goes….

Agreed, it's about time this happened.

Unless your about to backup your claims I think you ought to piss off.
Why? Because you don't like it when people point out that unions leaders are often thugs that use violence and the treat of violance to enforce discipline? Edited by TimG

I can say the same thing about Corporate Canada and myself but that would be over your head. What is good for one, is good for the other.

I think you must either be a younger guy or never had much close up experience with unions, CitizenX. Those of us who have know that many unions have rarely or never been open and transparent with such things.

You are correct I have had very experience when it comes to Unions. I appreciate you shedding some light on the subject. :D

I will keep reading this thread to educate myself more on the topic.

Edited by CitizenX

Why? Because you don't like it when people point out that unions leaders are often thugs that use violence and the treat of violance to enforce discipline?

Yah cause Henry Ford didn't have his own private police department that roughed up trouble makers. Why can Corporate Canada do things with impunity while Unions get the shaft? They have very much in common, so lets make it a fair bill and no one will have a problem.

Yah cause Henry Ford didn't have his own private police department that roughed up trouble makers. Why can Corporate Canada do things with impunity while Unions get the shaft?
You had to go back nearly 100 years to find and example of corporate thugs. Examples of union thuggery exist today.

No more than you like it when people point out that anti-union folks are fascist kitten killing kooks.
No comparison. RNG referred to personal experience. Perhaps there are facts he omitted but you have no reason to assume he was lying. Your crap was just that - obviously made up crap.

I too am wondering how much experience you've actually had with unions. The ones I've had to deal with were a lot more anti-worker than any corporation (or government) that I've had to deal with. Forcing them to be open and transparent is a good thing for the workers as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Bryan

For instance, here in Hamilton the steelworkers have been locked out of the U S Steel plant for over a year. The main sticking point has been pensions. There are nearly 20,000 pensioners for a plant that has only 980 some odd workers!

The union has never had a formal vote from the membership about accepting the company's offer, or even if they agree with their union making this the major issue!

If you ask the union they will tell you they HAVE had votes! In fact, they had one just last week! What they won't tell you is that these were not 'secret ballot' votes. They were "show of hands at the union hall" votes.

First off, the union hall has never been able to hold ALL the membership, even now that there are so few of them compared to the 'glory days'! So it is easy to 'stack' the hall with voters all of one persuasion, but that's not the big issue.

The big issue is that it is NOT an easy thing to put your hand up against the flow at such a union meeting! These guys are not university professors. You can expect trouble when you get outside. At the very least, you will spend the rest of your working days at that place looking over your shoulder and eating lunch in the cafeteria by yourself, ostracized from the others. Even if many of your fellow workers agreed with you they would go along with the crowd, in the interests of keeping up the appearance of union solidarity.

Tell them what it's really about Bill ...

US Steel wants to drop the cost-of-living increases for 9000 Stelco pensioners.

A few steelworkers made a lot of noise but 30 people is only 30 people out of the 900 voting members.

The right wing tv, radio and newspaper media made a big stink about it, but 30 votes is only 30 votes, despite the full force backing of anti-union media.

Now there's a new offer on the table.