Ron Paul in 2012

No one else is advocating the same policies that Paul is. You may feel as if you live next to a dump, because your government is no better than mine, but my reality is that I live in a very good place. :)

There's definitely cause for much concern.

The dump analogy wasnt mine. I disagree that our government isnt better... seems like by any objective measure you could present Canada has been a more competently administered country for the last couple of decades. And im not a big fan of the Canadian government either...

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

The dump analogy wasnt mine.

The dump analogy to any and every politician was yours, so you were, in effect, saying that I would live next to a dump no matter who was elected. As I said, speak for yourself, as Canada's government isn't any better.

I disagree that our government isnt better... seems like by any objective measure you could present Canada has been a more competently administered country for the last couple of decades. And im not a big fan of the Canadian government either...

And I disagree with your opinion - seems like any "objective measures" wouldn't support your belief.

Edited by American Woman

The dump analogy to any and every politician was yours, so you were, in effect, saying that I would live next to a dump no matter who was elected. As I said, speak for yourself, as Canada's government isn't any better.

And I disagree with your opinion - seems like any "objective measures" wouldn't support your belief.

Sure they would. Employment, Debt Management, Pretty much any economic measure. Just general competence. The democratic and republic legislators in the US on the hand have between an 8-20% approval rating. 75% of Americans think that they "behave like children". And the approval rating for president over the last couple of terms averages out to about 35%. I admire your optimism though.

Guest American Woman

Sure they would. Employment, Debt Management, Pretty much any economic measure.

Riiight. They would do that for "the last couple of decades."

The democratic and republic legislators in the US on the hand have between an 8-20% approval rating. 75% of Americans think that they "behave like children". And the approval rating for president over the last couple of terms averages out to about 35%. I admire your optimism though.

Your comment was made in regards to "the last couple of decades." But yeah, the current approval rating of the legislators is real proof of that time span - as is your current "employment, debt management and economic measure." Makes me wonder if you were in a deep sleep for a good part of the last couple of decades.

Just general competence.

Sorry, but I don't admire your rose colored glasses.

Your comment was made in regards to "the last couple of decades." But yeah, the current approval rating of the legislators is real proof of that time span - as is your current "employment, debt management and economic measure." Makes me wonder if you were in a deep sleep for a good part of the last couple of decades.

Sorry, but I don't admire your rose colored glasses.

Awwww... Just admit it... You think your government sucks just like pretty much everyone else down there does.

Your comment was made in regards to "the last couple of decades."....

If one goes back the last two decades, one finds that Canada was also a basket case, from a serious fiscal crisis to domestic health disasters. Quebec nearly voted for separation, and the resulting sponsorship scandal brought down a government. Canada also took some awful foreign policy hits too (e.g. Somalia, Rwanda, Haiti, etc.).

You're right...it wasn't all roses at all, despite efforts to portray it otherwise.

Then why do they come to America? Why do so many more Canadians prefer the USA?

The only people I've know that have moved to the states were complete and utter toolboxes. So I guess you get those :)

That's a good question though, why do some many people want to live in a such a crappy country?

What is the allure?

Why don't you do the American thing and let me know how awesome your country is :)

The only people I've know that have moved to the states were complete and utter toolboxes. So I guess you get those :)

Well, if you knew them, I'm not surprised. There is ample evidence that some of Canada's finest emigrate south.

That's a good question though, why do some many people want to live in a such a crappy country?

Probably the same reasons I want to live here.

What is the allure?

Cheaper gas and cigarettes?

Why don't you do the American thing and let me know how awesome your country is :)

No need for that...just ask your fellow citizens who vote with their feet.

That's an idiosyncrasy, not ludicrous. I already posed a situation where one of the characteristics of a purchase would be considered ludicrous, so I find it interesting that you raised another scenario that hardly compares to what's being discussed rather than address it. So I'll present my scenario again - and if you don't address it again, don't worry - I know the answer.

That's an example of ludicrous that's relevant and comparable to the level of ludicrous under discussion regarding Paul's ludicrous policies.

Yes that's seems a better example than mine. There's a kind of dichotomy with Ron Paul's views, in that about half of his opinions (at least to me, and likely many others) are logical, brilliant, wonderful, and seemingly full of integrity (especially many of his foreign policy as in the OP video), while on the other hand many of his libertarian views are just wacko, idealistic, and seemingly not very reasonable. The first bit is the nice house, the latter bit the dump next door to it lol.

continuing on

A friend of mine was in the southern states recently visiting relatives who had moved for jobs. His friend said that they could either afford food, or electricity so they chose food. Driving out of the neighbourhood, he noticed that about 50% of all houses had their electrical lines cut. What a crap hole!

"Canadians now look south with something closer to pity.

A poll conducted for The Globe and Mail by Nanos Research on attitudes toward the United States reveals that Canadians see an economy in tatters, a paralyzed political system and a volatile American Dream trumped by a stable Canadian version.

Canadians have reached a conclusion that would have been shocking at any other time in the past 50 years: Canada is not just a better place to live, it’s a better place to make money.

U.S. woes seem to trigger some sympathy among many Canadians who see us rolling along with lower unemployment, a stronger dollar and a stable political system."

[link]

You can keep clinging to what was but, anyone can see where it is going. The wealthy are transporting the wealth and jobs to other countries. Americans will pitifully hold on to "what was once" as the country dilapidates and ghettofies.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Guest American Woman

A friend of mine was in the southern states recently visiting relatives who had moved for jobs. His friend said that they could either afford food, or electricity so they chose food. Driving out of the neighbourhood, he noticed that about 50% of all houses had their electrical lines cut. What a crap hole!

A relative of my friend of mine visited Toronto not too long ago and noticed homeless people on the street........

At any rate, makes one wonder why these relatives of your friend moved to the U.S. and what it must have been like where they lived before. Odd that they haven't moved back to Camelot Canada, eh?

Guest American Woman

If one goes back the last two decades, one finds that Canada was also a basket case, from a serious fiscal crisis to domestic health disasters. Quebec nearly voted for separation, and the resulting sponsorship scandal brought down a government. Canada also took some awful foreign policy hits too (e.g. Somalia, Rwanda, Haiti, etc.).

You're right...it wasn't all roses at all, despite efforts to portray it otherwise.

Exactly. Yet the U.S. has been facing economic problems for a while and you'd think we were all going to hell in a hand basket. Evidently Canada is the only country that can weather such a storm.

Can you imagine if the U.S. had polls at the time saying how sorry Americans felt for Canadians, and Americans all saying what a poor country Canada is, and how Canada was never going to amount to anything ever again?

Good grief. You have to wonder if some of these people were in a coma half their lives or if they are so historically challenged that they truly believe this is the worst the U.S. has ever faced - while having no knowledge of other countries that have pulled themselves out from an economic low - including, of course, Canada.

Edited by American Woman

...You can keep clinging to what was but, anyone can see where it is going. The wealthy are transporting the wealth and jobs to other countries. Americans will pitifully hold on to "what was once" as the country dilapidates and ghettofies.

Yet you are at a loss to explain why 25,000 Canadians emigrate to the USA each year, compared to just 2,500 Americans moving to Canada (from a country with 10 TIMES the population). You are at a loss to explain why so many Canadians worry about the United States while most Americans remain oblivious to Canada. America remains the most powerful country in the world, and that came from a history of "ghettos" and hard times.

There is no such thing as a "Canadian Dream" that even compares.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Exactly. Yet the U.S. has been facing economic problems for a while and you'd think we were all going to hell in a hand basket. Evidently Canada is the only country that can weather such a storm.

Huge supply of primary resources. Check.

Very well educated population. Check.

Still goes into trade surpluses. Check.

Huge supply of fresh water as the U.S. dries up. Check.

We'll fare better than the U.S. in the next century, guaranteed.

Good grief. You have to wonder if some of these people were in a coma half their lives or if they are so historically challenged that they truly believe this is the worst the U.S. has ever faced - while having no knowledge of other countries that have pulled themselves out from an economic low - including, of course, Canada.

Yep. Today is exactly like what it was before... except...

Manufacturing sector destroyed and won't be coming back with current politics.

Corporations are constantly outsourcing what should be American jobs to Chinese, Korean and Indian graduates with the same training for cheaper.

And there is something else at the back of my mind... OH YEAH!

and your massive exportation of money overseas in trade deficits

See how the Canadian number still floats into positive now and then?

Multiply our trade deficit by 10... still no where near the U.S.

You can't pick yourself back up by giving all of your wealth away.

Ron Paul would be good for America.

Corporations are constantly outsourcing what should be American jobs to Chinese, Korean and Indian graduates with the same training for cheaper.

Just as they should...best candidates get the jobs....even the Canadians who take "American" jobs.

Ron Paul would be good for America.

Ron Paul would be very bad for Canada.

Another silly rant from a Canadian obsessed with Ron Paul (and America):

...All of this information might be questionable and shocking, but if you do the research you will most likely end up with the same conclusions. Once empowered with the knowledge that one is being subverted, one will act. And when a critical number of people will have been informed change will start, as is taking place in the U.S. right now. We need more than this insight, we need a leader like Ron Paul to further mobilize Canadians and most important of all we need a leader like Ron Paul to put the power and interest of Canada in the hands of Canadians and not our Masonic oligarchs.

Why doesn't Canada have a Ron Paul

Yet you are at a loss to explain why 25,000 Canadians emigrate to the USA each year, compared to just 2,500 Americans moving to Canada (from a country with 10 TIMES the population). You are at a loss to explain why so many Canadians worry about the United States while most Americans remain oblivious to Canada. America remains the most powerful country in the world, and that came from a history of "ghettos" and hard times.

There is no such thing as a "Canadian Dream" that even compares.

Warmer climate for boring people and retires.

Canada is not romanticized in American media like U.S. cities are romanticized. Those same productions air heavily in Canada.

Most of Canada is rural with very few urban centres to choose from.

Your countries self promotion is beyond any other.

I have never seen Canada addressed in a positive light in American media. Meanwhile the rest of the world sees us in a positive light.

Your 2,500 number is off btw.

"In 2006, 10,942 Americans went to Canada, compared with 9,262 in 2005 and 5,828 in 2000, according to a survey by the Association for Canadian Studies.

Of course, those numbers are still outweighed by the number of Canadians going the other way. Yet, that imbalance is shrinking. Last year, 23,913 Canadians moved to the United States, a significant decrease from 29,930 in 2005." [link]

The trend is in the process of changing :) Less people are falling for the romanticized U.S. picture.

Warmer climate for boring people and retires.

Canada is not romanticized in American media like U.S. cities are romanticized. Those same productions air heavily in Canada.

Why do they "air heavily" in Canada? Can't Canada produce its own media with domestic content in sufficient quality and quantity as to discourage the import of American media (e.g. CRTC cancon rules)?

Most of Canada is rural with very few urban centres to choose from.

Your countries self promotion is beyond any other.

Why is that? The rest of the world manages to build multiple urban centers, why not Canada? Many things in America are beyond any other.

I have never seen Canada addressed in a positive light in American media. Meanwhile the rest of the world sees us in a positive light.

Then you obviously haven't seen much media...another member posted such a piece from Tom Brokaw right here.

Your 2,500 number is off btw.

"In 2006, 10,942 Americans went to Canada, compared with 9,262 in 2005 and 5,828 in 2000, according to a survey by the Association for Canadian Studies.

I will trust government historical immigration numbers over your source.

Country     per year (2001 - 2005)
Mexico 	    175,900
China 	     50,900
Philippines  47,800
India 	     59,300
Vietnam      33,700
Cuba 	     14,800
El Salvador  33,500
Dominican R. 24,900
Canada 	     24,200
Korea 	     17,900

The trend is in the process of changing :) Less people are falling for the romanticized U.S. picture.

But why did the "trend" exist at all? Was it the "brain drain", or lower taxes, or "weather", or name one of many other reasons why so many Canadians (MILLIONS) have emigrated to the United States, just like many MILLIONS of other nationals. There are about 37 million foreign born Americans...more than the entire population of Canada.

312,000,000 vs. 34,500,000....and it ain't just the "weather".

Fiat currencies are hurting us the most, they turn the economy into a giant ponzi scheme. All the wealth is being redistributed to the top. How do you guys not see this? The belief that central banks and fiat currencies are necessary in a modern society to create stable and prosperous economy is a lie...I wish you guys could see this truth.