Ron Paul in 2012

Guest American Woman

Nice ad.

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Republican presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman, who often speaks movingly of his adopted daughters while on the campaign trail, said Friday that Ron Paul's supporters were out of line in using the girls to argue that Huntsman is un-American.

An online ad posted by "NHLiberty4Paul" includes video footage of Huntsman, the former ambassador to China, with daughter Gracie when she was an infant. It also shows Huntsman holding Asha shortly after she was adopted from India.

"American values? Or Chinese?" the ad asks, ending with "Vote Ron Paul."

That's got to piss off more than a few people who have adopted babies from foreign countries.

Huntsman and his wife have seven children, including Gracie, 12, who was abandoned at a Chinese vegetable market at two months of age, and Asha, 6, who was left to die on a roadside in India the day she was born.

Sounds as if Huntsman and his wife did an admirable thing. Trying to use this against him is a new low, IMO.

Edited to add link

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice ad.

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Republican presidential hopeful Jon Huntsman, who often speaks movingly of his adopted daughters while on the campaign trail, said Friday that Ron Paul's supporters were out of line in using the girls to argue that Huntsman is un-American.

An online ad posted by "NHLiberty4Paul" includes video footage of Huntsman, the former ambassador to China, with daughter Gracie when she was an infant. It also shows Huntsman holding Asha shortly after she was adopted from India.

"American values? Or Chinese?" the ad asks, ending with "Vote Ron Paul."

That's got to piss off more than a few people who have adopted babies from foreign countries.

Huntsman and his wife have seven children, including Gracie, 12, who was abandoned at a Chinese vegetable market at two months of age, and Asha, 6, who was left to die on a roadside in India the day she was born.

Sounds as if Huntsman and his wife did an admirable thing. Trying to use this against him is a new low, IMO.

Edited to add link

Lame for sure, but a "new low"? Seems like pretty normal stuff to me.

Guest American Woman

Lame for sure, but a "new low"? Seems like pretty normal stuff to me.

Really? What else would be comparable to using a candidate's children, something like adoption, to portray a candidate as "anti-American?" As I recall, that tactic was used in a Canadian election regarding a Candidate's wife, which is bad enough - but to use children, adoption from China as a portrayal of having "Chinese values" rather than American? I see that as a new low.

Edited by American Woman

If it's not a new low, it's awfully close.

To clarify, it appears that Ron Paul's campaign itself had nothing to do with the ad, and that it was put forth by some of Paul's rabid fans. A spokeswoman for Paul's campaign denounced the video and says that nobody who understands Paul's principles would have made it.

-k

Guest American Woman
If it's not a new low, it's awfully close.

To clarify, it appears that Ron Paul's campaign itself had nothing to do with the ad, and that it was put forth by some of Paul's rabid fans. A spokeswoman for Paul's campaign denounced the video and says that nobody who understands Paul's principles would have made it.

I didn't say he did have anything to do with it, but it's another good example of the kind of supporters Paul has, just like whoever did write all of those racist and homophobic articles in his newsletter in his name. Then there's the "Have you ever had sex with Rick Perry?" ad purchased by a Ron Paul supporter. These supporters can't be doing him any good - among the sane voters. And from what I've seen, he's had surprisingly little to say about it. As you yourself pointed out, a spokesperson addressed the issue publicly.

He did not call Jon Huntsman to offer an apology for the ad. A Ron Paul campaign spokeswoman spoke out more strongly against the ad than did Paul; Kate Schackai called it "utterly tasteless."

Read more:

At any rate, he will never be POTUS, so all's well that ends well. :)

...At any rate, he will never be POTUS, so all's well that ends well. :)

Agreed...this is all just chatter about a candidate who has already marginalized himself. I think what we are seeing here, and like Paul's American supporters, is the naive expectation that Ron Paul could do the crazy things he says even if elected. The reality is quite different.

Agreed...this is all just chatter about a candidate who has already marginalized himself. I think what we are seeing here, and like Paul's American supporters, is the naive expectation that Ron Paul could do the crazy things he says even if elected. The reality is quite different.

:blink: I agree. :blink:

I'd like to see Paul as POTUS, though, because I'm curious as to the extent that the system would emasculate him and his policies.

You mean he has "emasculated" himself?

I think you have a dirty mind. :P

I mean he gets emasculated by the lobby groups, by the Fed (and Wall Street), by the various power structures in place that continue doing business as usual to the horror of the "99%."

Emasculate has another meaning, you know: to deprive of strength or vigor, weaken.

I think you have a dirty mind. :P

So did Bill Clinton.

I mean he gets emasculated by the lobby groups, by the Fed (and Wall Street), by the various power structures in place that continue doing business as usual to the horror of the "99%."

Ron Paul has been part of that structure for years. He is a multi-term member of the U.S. House.

Emasculate has another meaning, you know: to deprive of strength or vigor, weaken.

He never had such strength....can't lose what he never had. Recall that Ron Paul has already lost two POTUS election runs, with all the business as usual that entails.

Guest American Woman

I'm not sure if a lot of his supporters even understand where he is coming from - what he says he would do. Kind of reminds me of the Occupy movement, where people are all over the board, not sure of what's actually going on or what exactly they are supporting.

I'm not sure if a lot of his supporters even understand where he is coming from - what he says he would do. Kind of reminds me of the Occupy movement, where people are all over the board, not sure of what's actually going on or what exactly they are supporting.

Agreed...it's the same naivete that some of President Obama's rabid supporters displayed, only to be crushed by the reality of governance in office. America went through this with a true third party alternative in Ross Perot 20 years ago, who got far more votes in the general election than Ron Paul ever will.

Mark Steyn: Ron Paul beckons GOP to Fortress America

Article Link

...According to George Mason University's annual survey of Freedom in the 50 States, New Hampshire is the freest state in the union, so one would expect there to be takers for Ron Paul's message. On the other hand, facing a very different electorate in Iowa, Paul pulled pretty much an identical share of the poll. It may be time for those of us on the right to consider whether it's not so much the conservative vote that's split but whether conservativism itself is fracturing.

On Tuesday night Romney told us he wants to restore America to an America where millions of Americans believe in the American ideal of a strong America for millions of Americans. Which is more than your average Belgian can say. The crowd responded appreciatively. An hour later a weird goofy gnome in a baggy suit two sizes too big came out and started yakking about the Federal Reserve, fiat money and monetary policy "throughout all of history." And the crowd went bananas!

With characteristic timidity, Mitt Romney says that as commander-in-chief his Afghan strategy would be determined by the "commanders in the field." More tea and sympathy! But a lazy deference to the inviolability of the present arrangements for another two-thirds of a century of unwon wars will not suffice. I am in favor of a leaner, meaner military – emphasis on both adjectives. A broke America will perforce wind up with the first. But, if we want the second, the foreign-policy right will have to make a better case than it has this primary season.

big deal:

Ron Paul Receives Pivotal Endorsement of South Carolina State Senator Tom Davis

COLUMBIA, S.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul received today the key endorsement of tea party favorite and South Carolina political heavyweight, state Sen. Tom Davis (R-Beaufort).

His endorsement also is viewed as a political game-changer by many in South Carolina Republican Party circles.