Forum Moderation Policies

Thorn

The guy had 21,000 posts, and yes, got away with a lot. We all get away with a lot which is against the rules.

So what gets you suspended or banned? Is it that you do something, get a slap on the wrist, and after a while they decide you've done it one too many times and ban you? How many times do you get to say a word or whatever before you get banned or suspended?

I have no idea. From what i've seen, if you talk like a jerk you usually can get away with it. If you are an abusive jerk or get many complaints you might get a warning and eventually suspended/banned. If you get into the area of hate speech or spam the forum on a new account you can get banned, along with more serious offenses.

When I first joined years ago the moderation was a lot more strict, a lot more strict than most internet forums. I think it made it a better place. Jerkstore attacks weren't allowed. But now the moderators don't seem to have the time anymore to keep on top of things that closely, to the point where they asked our friend Michael Hardner to help them moderate the forums a few months ago.

My advice to you would be to keep posting here for a bit longer to see how it works before you start trying to change the place.

Well, I served my first ban on the board this year. And it was not the content of my posts, it was the language (can't swear as much as I did).

I have no idea if it is a permanent ban or just a suspension, and I don't even know why he was banned, although we can make some very good guesses as to why, but I am very surprised it had not happen sooner to M. Dancer. I'll admit it he is not my fave poster. It's also interesting to point out that the people who support M. Dancer and are all of a sudden crying foul on it, are the ones who seem to act and post like M. Dancer.. I COULD be wrong, it's just an observation.

I'd say he did himself in, and won't be missing him anytime soon.

Rumour has it that this had to do with Layton's death, as he made a point of jeering about Layton's cancer, and even created a thread about it. Since we will never know, we are only left with speculation...

True, but I was more or less pointing out he did himself in, he alone contributed to his own banning (for whatever reason it is), that I am pretty sure of.

True, but I was more or less pointing out he did himself in, he alone contributed to his own banning (for whatever reason it is), that I am pretty sure of.

Yeah, too bad, so sad.

And as he often liked to say to others, "Buh bye!!!..."

along with his favourite emoticon, employed in virtually every post:

:lol::lol: :lol:

Now we've only a few more to clean up around here, to make this place a decent, respectable forum!!!

Hey Michael we descended to hell yet??

Yeah, too bad, so sad.

And as he often liked to say to others, "Buh bye!!!..."

along with his favourite emoticon, employed in virtually every post:

:lol::lol: :lol:

Its my belief the emoticons ought to be removed from this site. Ninety percent of the time when I see them they're used to mock and jeer at people. As I've previously posted, you can usually tell just how disrespectful a posting will be by how many emoticons it contains. And you can tell who are the more abusive posters by how often they employ them.

Shwa got banned and it looks like Oleg got banned too.

Anyone else?

What makes you think they've been banned? Has there been an announcement I missed?

I would certainly have more respect for the moderation if that were the case.

Edited by Thorn

I think this place has good moderation...even though I wasn't happy about being suspended for a month.

This is my general complaint. One can assume that after 14,000 odd posts you had some comfort that what you posted would not get you any sort of reprimand or punishment, in all likelihood because you'd seen such language and used such language, many times without any evidence the moderators didn't like it. If you'd thought you would be suspended for it, you wouldn't have posted it. So after 14,000 posts you still didn't understand the moderating policies. After 21,000 post, M. Dancer posted something which he thought was appropriate for this web site. Why did he think it appropriate? How could have have so little understanding of the moderation policies after 21,000 posts?

Edited by Thorn

Its my belief the emoticons ought to be removed from this site. Ninety percent of the time when I see them they're used to mock and jeer at people. As I've previously posted, you can usually tell just how disrespectful a posting will be by how many emoticons it contains. And you can tell who are the more abusive posters by how often they employ them.

Agreed, I have thought the same about them, they are not helpful. They are used to provoke an emotional response. Hence the term "emoticons"

After 21,000 post, M. Dancer posted something which he thought was appropriate for this web site.

I don't know about that. IIRC, Dancer has been suspended more than once before. In fairness though, no, I didn't expect to be suspended.

Guest American Woman

Shwa got banned and it looks like Oleg got banned too.

Anyone else?

They didn't get banned. Their profiles still list them as "member." Once banned, that reads "banned." They may have been suspended, but that's temporary while a ban is permanent. Don't know how long suspensions last - may depend on the infraction and/or the number of times a poster has been warned.