Mainstream Media ignoring and sidelining Ron Paul

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The youth" are always left with the previous generation's mistakes, and the offspring of the present youth will be no different.

No, Generation: Usless (thats us) will be the first generation ever to leave their children with bleaker prospects for the future than they inherited from their parents. We inherited a modern civilization and a solid economy and we have pretty much completely squandered it.

It will probably take at least a couple of generations to recover from Generation: Useless. Not only are we going to expect our children to pay for 30 years of us living beyond our means, and borrowing money to fund our government instead of paying taxes, but we will also leave them a civilization in a poor state of repair, with many trillions of dollars worth of upgrades and maintenance due.

Guest American Woman

No, Generation: Usless (thats us) will be the first generation ever to leave their children with bleaker prospects for the future than they inherited from their parents.

That is so not true. Kids these days have more opportunities that we ever did. Gays are getting equal rights, affirmative action is giving more minorities more opportunities in the work world, more kids are attending university, world travel is much easier and more affordable, AIDS is being successfully treated as are many cancers, and the internet has opened up worlds of possibilities and opportunities. I suppose it all depends on a person's value system, but I value experiences and opportunities and advanced health care and technology and world experiences at least as much as I do a low national debt.

We inherited a modern civilization and a solid economy and we have pretty much completely squandered it.

There have been plenty of times in children's lives when some aspects of their future were bleaker than their parents' were - while some aspects of their parents' lives were bleaker than theirs'.

It will probably take at least a couple of generations to recover from Generation: Useless.

Keep believing that if you must. I don't understand that line of thought myself; I've seen plenty of good come out of the present generation. Seems to me it's vogue with some people these days to cut down ourselves, our nations, the western world, just about everything - while overlooking all of the good. I don't see any benefit to that. It strikes me as being a martyr.

Not only are we going to expect our children to pay for 30 years of us living beyond our means, and borrowing money to fund our government instead of paying taxes, but we will also leave them a civilization in a poor state of repair, with many trillions of dollars worth of upgrades and maintenance due.

And that's the most important thing in life, eh? Not the experiences they've had, the advancements that have been made, all the things I've previously mentioned and then some - their lives are going to suck because we're all useless.

I'm sure some of our youth are picking up on that mindset and blaming everyone and everything else for their failures/lack of initiative. Our generation and previous generations had a lot to deal with too, and deal with it we/they did. The youth can - and will - do the same. Unless they develop a 'life owes me a living and the generation before me squandered it away' attitude.

Edited to add: I believe "the youth" voted for Obama ....... <_<

Interestingly, there is a poll out today that has Ron Paul ahead of the other republican candidates for the "under 30" age group. The Gallup poll taken between August 17 to 21, 2011 has Ron Paul with 29% support from this group. Governor Perry is second with 21%. Unfortunately for Paul, only 4% of the over 65 age group supports him...

...compared to 40% for Perry.

Keep believing that if you must. I don't understand that line of thought myself; I've seen plenty of good come out of the present generation. Seems to me it's vogue with some people these days to cut down ourselves, our nations, the western world, just about everything - while overlooking all of the good. I don't see any benefit to that. It strikes me as being a martyr.

We DID do good stuff, but we did lots of dumb stuff too and didnt pay for anything. Generation Useless has slashed its own tax rates, and lived beyond our means, and now there a huge tab left to be paid, that will impact our childrens ability to fund things that make their lives better. Theyll be paying for generations to subsidize a generation of people thats already retired or dead. In 50 years they will still be paying the tab for things like the recent recession we caused, and the wars we started or decided were worth fighting, and all the programs that have made our lives cushy. They are going to have to endure huge spending cuts and large tax increases... for no other reason than we found a creative way to not pay our share and our refusal to contain our extravagant spending.

So what I did say, in effect, is if someone rants and predicts for years, something is bound to come true to some degree or another. That hardly makes him 'in the know' or 'on the money' as the sayings go.

Some of his predictions are quite specific and events later unfolded just as he said they would. For example, he foresaw the growth and burst of the housing bubble. Looking back now his words back in 2003 definitely puts him "in the know" category.

The special privileges granted to Fannie and Freddie have distorted the housing market by allowing them to attract capital that they could not attract under pure market conditions. Like all artificially created bubbles, the boom in housing prices cannot last forever. When housing prices fall, homeowners will experience difficulty as their equity is wiped out. Furthermore, the holders of the mortgage debt will also have a loss. These losses will be greater than they would have otherwise been had government policy not actively encouraged over-investment in housing, the damage will be catastrophic.

...he foresaw the growth and burst of the housing bubble[/url]. Looking back now his words back in 2003 definitely puts him "in the know" category.

The very term "housing bubble" existed concurrently with the run up in real estate prices, so he was hardly a genius at "predicting" anything.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Less public service,

No loss from my point of view.

higher prices

On what? The only outrageously high prices are those on real estate, and recent events have done about as much as could be expected to bring those down some.

higher fees on education (which hinders you from getting an education and a better job/caree)

Higher fees on education? Why should I care? The government gives you interest-free student loans for the duration of your studies that more than cover both tuition and living expenses.

taxpayer money used for bail outs while they decrease your savings interest rate and hike up fees.

What fees? It's been years since a bank charged me any fees. As for savings interest rate... seriously, a savings account? What a useless place to put your money. If you want to earn interest on your money, there are much better ways that also have negligible risk while offering much higher returns.

And if we look at the last clown show installment where they threatened to dip into social security and retirement savings and reduce health care benefits

Social security and retirement? Do you really think the youth of today expect these systems to exist in their present state 50 years down the road when they might be able to use them? Of course not. Nothing will be the same in 50 years, least of all these programs.

Sorry but this youth doesn't feel at all screwed over. The government gives you all the money you need to pay for education, with very generous repayment terms. There are plenty of good jobs out there for people who bothered to get educated in a useful skill instead of superfluous nonsense. And as for retirements... anyone with half a brain should realize that they better save for their own retirement in a private account and not rely on the government.

The only people who feel screwed over are those who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.

Because Generation: Useless is fixing to flee the bar and leave its kids with the mother of all bar tabs.

Yes, the last generation was totally useless. All the technological progress we've had over the last 30 years counts for nothing. Right. Materially speaking, the lives of "youth" are infinitely richer than that of the generation that preceded them. Most of the kinds of things that today's youth have, the youth of the last generation could not even have imagined.

No, Generation: Usless (thats us) will be the first generation ever to leave their children with bleaker prospects for the future than they inherited from their parents.

What kind of statement is this? The "first generation ever"? How about the generation of Romans that were there when the empire fell? I mean come on. How about the generation of Russians that let their offspring end up under communism? The generation of Germans that sent their youth off to die in useless attempts at conquest? The generation of Americans that set the stage for the great depression? Your statement is just false on so many levels. It's only true with the qualifiers "in North America in the last 2 generations".

We inherited a modern civilization and a solid economy and we have pretty much completely squandered it.

You're free to feel guilty about your uselessness, but the civilization of today is more "modern" than the civilization you inherited. This increased modernity is easily quantified. If you inherited it, say, 30 years ago, then it's now 30 years more modern.

People here really are in such a mindset of doom and gloom. Our civilization is prospering as much as ever. People need to get some perspective. So we've had a couple years of not much growth. Big freaking deal. It's a blip on the graph in the grand scheme of things. The underlying exponential growth curve will continue, as it has through every prior recession and depression.

They are going to have to endure huge spending cuts and large tax increases... for no other reason than we found a creative way to not pay our share and our refusal to contain our extravagant spending.

Oh noes... huge spending cuts! However will I deal with having a smaller government? :lol:

As for tax increases. You do realize that the debts incurred today will be essentially insignificant in a couple decades due to the dual effects of economic growth and inflation. The actual value of a given amount of debt relative to a nation's economic output declines about 4% / year, given 2% inflation + 2% real growth, both conservative projections.

Oh noes... huge spending cuts! However will I deal with having a smaller government? :lol:

The only way you are going to get smaller government, is if someone like Paul is elected.

As for tax increases. You do realize that the debts incurred today will be essentially insignificant in a couple decades due to the dual effects of economic growth and inflation.

I agree, because the debts of tomorrow will be much much much bigger if they are not addresssed today.

Edited by GostHacked

Excellent article by Peter Schiff on Ron Paul.

For those that don't know, Peter Schiff is another one of those "in the know". ;)

Snipetts from the article:

Now the media is even impugning what should be seen as the Congressman's most successful accomplishment: the performance of his investment portfolio.

....Barron's Magazine goes out of its way to characterize Ron Paul's gold mining-heavy portfolio allocation as simplistic, robotic, and unpatriotic.

By any objective standard the portfolio would make any financial superstar green with jealousy. Fueled by his understanding of the inflationary policies unrelentingly pushed by his colleagues in Washington, Ron wisely loaded up on gold and gold mining stocks in the mid to late 1990s when those assets were regarded as the poor stepchildren of Wall Street.

But ignoring his returns is just a minor offense in the article. Its main attack is far more subtle. Using evangelical language, McTague stresses that the Congressman's investment decisions were informed by a lack of faith in the United States. His portfolio is described as a "super bearish bet against the United States," implying that the Congressman is unpatriotic.

More pernicious still are implications that the Congressman opposed the recent debt ceiling increase because he was looking to goose his investment returns. The article argues that an engineered default (by failing to raise the ceiling) would have caused economic crisis in the U.S., thereby pushing up the price of gold and gold-related investments. Not only is this a low blow but the logic is faulty at its core.

It is much more likely that a failure to raise the debt ceiling would have signaled an end to reckless spending and currency debasement, which would have restored confidence in the U.S. dollar and taken the shine off of gold and gold-related investments. In fact, all of Paul's efforts in Congress over the decades to champion more responsible monetary and fiscal policy can be seen as detrimental to his own investment portfolio. If anything, his actions have been selfless rather than selfish.

The fact that Ron Paul chose to invest as he has is a testament to his intellect and his pragmatism. The fact that he voted the way he did, and tried relentlessly to persuade his colleagues to do likewise, in direct opposition to his personal investment strategy, is a testament to his patriotism.

Kiraly, I've been listening to Schiff for almost a year now, and he does know the deal.

OH here is more ignoring Paul.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/25/perry-topples-romney-as-frontrunner-but-stays-on-offense/

They sure as hell are pimpin Perry for POTUS

I wonder if polls conducted after September 7 will have Perry leading by double digits. It'll be the first time he will be on stage with the other candidates, and I'm sure some will have him in their crosshairs.

I wonder if polls conducted after September 7 will have Perry leading by double digits. It'll be the first time he will be on stage with the other candidates, and I'm sure some will have him in their crosshairs.

Perry is going to get soft questions directed at him. I watched part of the last debated, and it's such a dog and pony show it's rediculous to absurd. And yet people are eating it up like the stupid questions matter.

Paul makes a lot of sense here.

Guest Derek L

Thought it odd that people feel Paul is boycotted by the Media.......he's being interviewed by Chris Wallace on Fox right now.......new poll has him in third place behind Perry and Romney......Surpassing the nuttier Bachmann :)

We are getting screwed, well the American people are getting screwed because of the actions the central bank are taking...I guess we are getting screed too because of the actions the BoC is taking. Printing currency doesn't create new wealth, it simply takes the value from the other dollars in existence...who holds the other dollars, it is the middle class, their wealth is being stolen and it is being transferred to the big corporations. All central banks can do is redistribute the wealth in society and they are taking the wealth from the middle class and give it to the rich.

Perry is going to get soft questions directed at him. I watched part of the last debated, and it's such a dog and pony show it's rediculous to absurd.

Regarding the debate:

Obama to Address Congress

Asked about the conflict with the Republican presidential debate, White House spokesman Jay Carney said the chosen date for the president's speech is "coincidental."