Mainstream Media ignoring and sidelining Ron Paul

http://www.usnews.com/polls/who-is-your-pick-for-the-2012-gop-presidential-nomination/results.html

The "other" candidate is Ron Paul. But since he is polling just as good or better than most of the others, shows the media does not want to promote Ron Paul in anyway shape or form. Since it seems the people are listening and polling for Ron Paul, why is he being ignored by the MSM?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20092625-503544.html?tag=stack

Ron Paul places second (losing by about 150 votes) behind Bachman. But you don's see his face on there. (Aimes poll showed he got second place)

CNN FOX and others are not even mentioning Ron Paul even though he is polling higher than most other candidates for the GOP.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2011/08/why-the-media-ignore-ron-paul.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO93P6uz9t8

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usnews.com/polls/who-is-your-pick-for-the-2012-gop-presidential-nomination/results.html

The "other" candidate is Ron Paul. But since he is polling just as good or better than most of the others, shows the media does not want to promote Ron Paul in anyway shape or form. Since it seems the people are listening and polling for Ron Paul, why is he being ignored by the MSM?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20092625-503544.html?tag=stack

Ron Paul places second (losing by about 150 votes) behind Bachman. But you don's see his face on there. (Aimes poll showed he got second place)

CNN FOX and others are not even mentioning Ron Paul even though he is polling higher than most other candidates for the GOP.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2011/08/why-the-media-ignore-ron-paul.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO93P6uz9t8

Thats pretty freakin bad. The daily show clips drives it home pretty nicely.

Follow the money around a little and its pretty clear why these various institutions want nothing to do with Paul. Imperialist foreign policy is the trough from which all these big media corporations feed year after year. If you end the elective wars, and stop giving corporate America as much free taxpayer money as they want... it would ruin the day for a lot of people.

I dont think Ron Paul is mentally ill. He does have the inherent disconnect with reality that is the hallmark of libertarians around the world... that sort of utopian faith that if you get rid of government everyone will suddenly join hands and work together towards unimaginable prosperity and happiness.

But he IS at least consistent and principled and hes the only politician in US history with sustainable views on foreign policy.

Edited by dre

I dont think Ron Paul is mentally ill. He does have the inherent disconnect with reality that is the hallmark of libertarians around the world...

I think there is a disconnect, but it's not Ron Paul, to me it's the rest of the GOP. The only other person that has made any sense seems to be Newt Gingrich.

that sort of utopian faith that if you get rid of government everyone will suddenly join hands and work together towards unimaginable prosperity and happiness.

He wants to give the power back to the individual states and let them make up their minds. I don't agree with all he says, but I agree that he wants to defend the rights of people to think and live how they want, as long as it does not encroach on other peoples lives and lifestyles.

But he IS at least consistent and principled and hes the only politician in US history with sustainable views on foreign policy.

He has been the most consistent on any subject put forth so far. He simply does not flip-flop, meaning he has integrity. Think you are going to get that out of the likes of Romney, or Bachmann, or Perry?

It's plain to see that Ron Paul is a threat to the corrupt establishment. The crooks want to stay in power. He has a chance, but the MSM and others will do what they can to sideline him eventhough he is polling higher than most other GOP candidates. Since that is true, why are the MSM ignoring him? And since they are ignoring him, what does that tell you about what kind of role media plays in politics?

I think there is a disconnect, but it's not Ron Paul, to me it's the rest of the GOP. The only other person that has made any sense seems to be Newt Gingrich.

He wants to give the power back to the individual states and let them make up their minds. I don't agree with all he says, but I agree that he wants to defend the rights of people to think and live how they want, as long as it does not encroach on other peoples lives and lifestyles.

He has been the most consistent on any subject put forth so far. He simply does not flip-flop, meaning he has integrity. Think you are going to get that out of the likes of Romney, or Bachmann, or Perry?

It's plain to see that Ron Paul is a threat to the corrupt establishment. The crooks want to stay in power. He has a chance, but the MSM and others will do what they can to sideline him eventhough he is polling higher than most other GOP candidates. Since that is true, why are the MSM ignoring him? And since they are ignoring him, what does that tell you about what kind of role media plays in politics?

I already explained why. Corporate America is the chief beneficiary of the government status quo. They pay hardly any taxes, they get tons of free taxpayer money, and in the case of the media they make a mountain of dough off US foreign policy. Nothing keeps people glued to the news like war, and when people are glued to the news these companies can sell their ad slots for more. Its really that simple.

Sure they don't...only about 10% of US federal revenue, and that doesn't include state or local taxes. In 2009, corporate tax revenue was about $225 billion...but whose counting, right?

I meant in comparative terms. For example... Warren buffet is taxed at a lower rate than any of his employees including secretarial and custodial staff.

And these corporations get so much back in corporate welfare that its hard to even calculate what the NET is.

I meant in comparative terms. For example... Warren buffet is taxed at a lower rate than any of his employees including secretarial and custodial staff.

So what....progressive tax policy does not include consumption choices. I'll bet that Buffet doesn't smoke.

And these corporations get so much back in corporate welfare that its hard to even calculate what the NET is.

Taxes as a percentage of GDP are down, but they do pay taxes. As do the employees who work there.

As to the OP point re: Paul, he gets/got plenty of MSM attention, including straw poll results. Paul will not be nominated by the GOP, IMHO.

As to the OP point re: Paul, he gets/got plenty of MSM attention, including straw poll results. Paul will not be nominated by the GOP, IMHO.

Which is too bad for Americans. They really could use a leader, a real leader. Not the dog and pony show we currently see.

People thought Obama would change things too.

Paul has been around much longer than Obama. Paul was on office while Obama was still in diapers. But, people can easily be duped with a pretty face and a few select phrases. But as I see it, the establishment won't let Paul win simply because he is a threat to the establishment. The recent MSM actions of sidelining Paul is some proof of that.

Paul has been around much longer than Obama. Paul was on office while Obama was still in diapers.

So? Also, doesn't that make him part of the establishment?

But, people can easily be duped with a pretty face and a few select phrases. But as I see it, the establishment won't let Paul win simply because he is a threat to the establishment. The recent MSM actions of sidelining Paul is some proof of that.

Well that and the fact that Paul is so far on the fringes that he makes Bachmann look like a centrist.

Edited by Black Dog

So? Also, doesn't that make him part of the establishment?

If he was part of it, why would they try as hard as they do to sideline him?

Well that and the fact that Paul is so far on the fringes that he makes Bachmann look like a centrist.

Whoever thought that true freedom and liberty and personal responsibility would be a fringe idea!?!?!?

If he was part of it, why would they try as hard as they do to sideline him?

Are they sidelining him because of bias or are they sidelining him because he's on the margins of the race? And is he on the margins of the race because he's being sidelined or because that's where his politics have placed him.

Great thing about these media conspiracy meta-narratives is they are circular and airtight.

Whoever thought that true freedom and liberty and personal responsibility would be a fringe idea!?!?!?

We're talking about the guy who wants to criminalize abortion, tear down the walls between church and state, who voiced his opposition to the Civil Rights Act, wants the government to control immigration etc etc?

Ron Paul would be bad if he were purely and consistently libertarian. But he's not which makes him worse.

Are they sidelining him because of bias or are they sidelining him because he's on the margins of the race? And is he on the margins of the race because he's being sidelined or because that's where his politics have placed him.

They are biases in many ways, so yes that is a factor. And he has been polling higher than everyone but Bachman it seems (obviously depending on the poll). In the end it is politics of getting back to the true founding of the USA and getting back to adhering to the constitution. Last time I checked the right side panel on Foxnews.com showed Paul polling at 75%. But that fact is ignored and he is not really mentioned as the winner, they instead talk about how good Perry will be for the USA.

Great thing about these media conspiracy meta-narratives is they are circular and airtight.

So the media bias seems have worked it's majic on you as well.

We're talking about the guy who wants to criminalize abortion, tear down the walls between church and state, who voiced his opposition to the Civil Rights Act, wants the government to control immigration etc etc?

If the laws were tried and true, you would not need any kind of civil right for anyone, because they would all be treated equally under the law. And he does not agree with abortion, or gay marriage, but he won't prevent others from living the way they want. To me he is the only person that really represents freedom in any fashion. Because what the USA got after 9/11, everything is geared towards security and less of true freedom.

Ron Paul would be bad if he were purely and consistently libertarian. But he's not which makes him worse.

Looks like you are buying into whatever the MSM tells you instead of looking into what he is actually saying. If you want the status quo and continue to run the USA into the ground, then feel free to chose anyone but Paul. His ideas are not popular, because then people will actually have to think for themselves, and actually take personal responsibility and take care of themselves instead of the long trend of the government taking care of you in every way.

The things he talks about today are the exact same things he has been talking about for a very long time.

We're talking about the guy who wants to criminalize abortion,

He really doesn't focus on that subject and the reason he thinks so is because he spent most of his life delivering babies as a doctor. He would of been criminally charged if he hurt the fetus while under his care, he considers them to be living beings.

Tear down the walls between church and state
what??? Where did you hear this from?
who voiced his opposition to the Civil Rights Act
he says this because in a truly free society people should have the right to be racists, however he has no intentions on repealing the act.

I don't understand why people call him crazy, he wants to end the wars and trade with the countries instead of fighting with him.

I don't understand why people call him crazy, he wants to end the wars and trade with the countries instead of fighting with him.

It is easier for them to label him a nut than it would be to actually debate him on the issues. From what I've seen, engaging Ron Paul in debate more often than not leaves one looking foolish.

And remember, the labeling works. The casual voter hears about "crazy Uncle Ron" on one network and then sees political commentators mocking him on another, an unfavourable impression is formed in that voter's mind before they even hear Paul speak. Since many don't bother with researching the candidates and the issues, this form of attack is rather successful in delegitimizing Paul.

Ron Paul is not new to Americans or American news media....he's run in enough presidential campaigns to firmly establish his record as a consistent libertarian voice that will never win a nomination or election. Just because he is the "new" darling for some Canadians for yet another round doesn't mean he is being ignored. Remember, 15% of polled Canadians wanted to vote for Obama too.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Ron Paul is not new to Americans or American news media....he's run in enough presidential campaigns to firmly establish his record as a consistent libertarian voice that will never win a nomination or election. Just because he is the "new" darling for some Canadians for yet another round doesn't mean he is being ignored. Remember, 15% of polled Canadians wanted to vote for Obama too.

It wasnt Canadians voting in the staw poll, Captain Canada.