Occupy Wall Street Sept 17 2011

Bahh. And when the people believed Obama would bring about the kind of changes he promised, what happened? Nothing, same old same old. Even if he really meant those things he promised. the problem is not as simple as getting elected.

He meant those things to get elected, and it worked. The progressive morons who thought the president is a king deserve to be disappointed. Obama continued many of Bush's policies after he became president.

It is far more entrenched than that. Obama could not do it. Why would you expect that someone coming from the grass roots, with far less capital backing them up would be able to achieve more.

Obama would not do it...and could not do it. Not even when his party controlled Congress. Why would somebody expect to do more with less? Grass roots doesn't mean dick come election time unless you can deliver the cash and the candidates.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a real problem with people "above" me in standard of living who are benefitting from industry bailouts

I agree. But you're going to have to blame the government even further, for getting in the mortgage business in the first place. They had a large hand in putting the banks in improper situations in the first place. So unfortunately, they have a hand in fixing the problem. Tell your government to get out of private sector enterprises.

who are quite snobbish in the community.

I guess I'll take your word for it. I've never met any of them personally.

Obama would not do it...and could not do it. Not even when his party controlled Congress. Why would somebody expect to do more with less? Grass roots doesn't mean dick come election time unless you can deliver the cash and the candidates.

So then you have rebutted your own earlier statement. Thank you, my work is done here

Meanwhile today's youth don't even have that option. They go to college, pay big bucks for tuition only to find jobs are ever more scarce. We outsourced their future. Seeing how the system is lawless and cannot be trusted, why would they even want to believe in it, and invest work and money that will only be taken away at the whim of the elite. Therefor the protests continue to spread.

BS. There are tons of jobs for people with useful degrees. 100,000 unfilled engineering jobs, for example. Companies are desperately trying to find anyone with a shred of talent. "Youth" who went to college for useless liberal mumbo-jumbo and studied partied for 4 years to get their "degree", on the other hand, will rightly not find jobs in their "field".

BS. There are tons of jobs for people with useful degrees. 100,000 unfilled engineering jobs, for example. Companies are desperately trying to find anyone with a shred of talent. "Youth" who went to college for useless liberal mumbo-jumbo and studied partied for 4 years to get their "degree", on the other hand, will rightly not find jobs in their "field".

Is that some indicator of the education system on the whole? Grade school and high school should be prepping kids for those kinds of roles. How much time and money is it to get an engineering job?

Is that some indicator of the education system on the whole? Grade school and high school should be prepping kids for those kinds of roles. How much time and money is it to get an engineering job?

Timewise it's usually a standard 4 year degree. You can also get a master's in an extra 1-2 years if you want to get slightly higher level jobs when you start working. As for money, it varies a lot from school to school, but there are plenty of financial aid options for anyone who has trouble affording it.

I should point out that the prerequisite for getting that type of degree is having at least a slightly below average level of intelligence (extremely below average won't fly) and a willingness to spend only about 90% of your college life partying (rather than 100%).

As for "grade school and high school", they are nothing more than glorified daycare. Your only qualification for a job coming out of high school is that you have a pulse.

Edited by Bonam

BS. There are tons of jobs for people with useful degrees. 100,000 unfilled engineering jobs, for example. Companies are desperately trying to find anyone with a shred of talent....

That's true....boomer engineers are retiring at a faster clip, and it is getting harder to find qualified new hires because the pretenders don't have the basic math, sciences, and engineering education. I hope they enjoyed themselves in university getting A's in basket weaving!

Timewise it's usually a standard 4 year degree. You can also get a master's in an extra 1-2 years if you want to get slightly higher level jobs when you start working. As for money, it varies a lot from school to school, but there are plenty of financial aid options for anyone who has trouble affording it.

I should point out that the prerequisite for getting that type of degree is having at least a slightly below average level of intelligence (extremely below average won't fly) and a willingness to spend only about 90% of your college life partying (rather than 100%).

As for "grade school and high school", they are nothing more than glorified daycare. Your only qualification for a job coming out of high school is that you have a pulse.

You haven't the slightest idea what it takes to do well in a liberal arts program, do you? A close friend of mine switched from mechanical engineering to arts because he believed it would be easier to just get his degree and go work for his dad. He dropped out of arts after 2 months and returned to engineering the following term because it was easier. Granted anyone can coast by with a C, get their BA and flip burgers for the rest of their life, but don't be so insulting to those that actually put in the work to get first class honours and full scholarships. It's a hell of a lot more difficult than the credit you give it.

100,000 jobs in engineering. You have any idea how many people are unemployed? About 14 million in the US alone.

Lots of middle-aged people lost their jobs recently. Companies took the bailout money, then proceeded to let go of thousands of skilled workers. they weren't engineers. Auto workers for example. Maybe they should just go back to school, eh? It's always easy to criticise others and make excuses, when things are going well for ourselves.

And I would also like to point out that without corporate investment the canola industry would have gone nowhere. Without the capitalist form of funding canola would not be a cash crop it is today. There isn't enough dollars in the public sector to research and develop crop varieties on the magnitude the big boys can, and the big boys can get results. The private sector research has produced far better canola plants far faster than the old method of public investment. The canola industry is one of the most capitalistic aspects of canadian agriculture and its little wonder that its the fastest growing and most successful part of it.

That is a nice lie but it is fair from the truth. Fact is government money founded Canola to fill a gap created when the GOVERNMENT stopped needing Rape seed. We might not have the GMO Canola we have today with out private investment that does not mean that Canola would not be as big as it is today. NOT TO MENTION guess who until this year dictated Canola growing in Canada? The Wheat Board a farmers Co-op.

Seriously I know you believe this stuff but NONE of the facts back your claims. Know where you got your claims from? Your butt, you pulled them from your butt.

Bahh. And when the people believed Obama would bring about the kind of changes he promised, what happened? Nothing, same old same old. Even if he really meant those things he promised. the problem is not as simple as getting elected. It is far more entrenched than that. Obama could not do it. Why would you expect that someone coming from the grass roots, with far less capital backing them up would be able to achieve more.

Of course the PTB have him shackled. It's to be hoped that all the people who supported him understand that Obama needs their help now. OCCUPY something ... we need boots on the ground NOW!

...Lots of middle-aged people lost their jobs recently. Companies took the bailout money, then proceeded to let go of thousands of skilled workers. they weren't engineers. Auto workers for example. Maybe they should just go back to school, eh? It's always easy to criticise others and make excuses, when things are going well for ourselves.

Your kind of pity won't do them any good. The days of selling 16 million vehicles in Norte America are over. You want to help? Give the jobs back to the American auto workers lost to Canada years ago.

Your kind of pity won't do them any good. The days of selling 16 million vehicles in Norte America are over. You want to help? Give the jobs back to the American auto workers lost to Canada years ago.

You'll have to talk to your capitalist mentors about that. Canada did not force them to outsource. They did it for their own reasons. Done for the benefit of good old USA, as is their legitimate right, by your own reckoning from other discussions. Why is it not so good for you, now?

This is what happens when you only think about what you want, right now. Not considering that you might be ok with a bit less today, for the sake of long term sustainability. Greed makes you do things like that.

You'll have to talk to your capitalist mentors about that. Canada did not force them to outsource. They did it for their own reasons. Done for the benefit of good old USA, as is their legitimate right, by your own reckoning from other discussions. Why is it not so good for you, now?

It's fine by me...I helped them do it. The pity tears pour from you...not I.

This is what happens when you only think about what you want, right now. Not considering that you might be ok with a bit less today, for the sake of long term sustainability. Greed makes you do things like that.

That doesn't make any sense....should people not want jobs right now?

" Do 'Occupy Wall Street' protesters represent your views about the nation's economic problems? "

Fox News takes a poll on #occupywallstreet Bet they weren't expecting this result!

Results

Maybe.. 2.58% (5,095)

No........ 27.47% (54,255)

Yes....... 69.15% (136,573)

............. UPDATE ... 143,860 ... 144,159 ... 144,404 ... ... :)

Other... .8 % (1,584)

Yay Fox News!!

:D :D

Edited by jacee

That is a nice lie but it is fair from the truth. Fact is government money founded Canola to fill a gap created when the GOVERNMENT stopped needing Rape seed. We might not have the GMO Canola we have today with out private investment that does not mean that Canola would not be as big as it is today. NOT TO MENTION guess who until this year dictated Canola growing in Canada? The Wheat Board a farmers Co-op.

Seriously I know you believe this stuff but NONE of the facts back your claims. Know where you got your claims from? Your butt, you pulled them from your butt.

Uh, canola production is what I do for a living, and sorry to toot my own horn, but I am getting quite proficient at it.

Without private research, canola would be just another specialty crop that a few guys produce. Take a look at yields when private research took over, they exploded. If it wasn't for GMO canola it would not be rivaling wheat for top spot on the amount of acres grown. Why? GM has allowed for higher yields and makes it far easier to grow and makes weed control simple yet very effective. As a result of that and with higher prices production exploded. Even though canola is gm, year end stocks are extremely tight which means somebody is buying it. A good producer can gross 650 dollars an acre easy these days, some even more. Canola would not be as big today without private dollars because the yields would be low and weed control would be a nightmare.

As for the cwb, canola is a non board grain. Canola producers have flat out rejected the idea of canola being under the cwb. The fact that canola production is where it is shows a big shot at the cwb. The cwb has nothing to do with the canola industry and producers are fine with it. The only thing that dictates canola production is price. If there is one thing sketchier than the grain companies of the 1900s its the cwb and their supporters.

The fact of the matter is that canola is the most capitalistic crop grown, it is the fastest gaining market share of crops grown, and is providing the best returns. Canola is a testament to what the private sector can do when it is given the chance.

When you state that the cwb has control over canola, it looks like your pulling facts out of your butt.

Guest Derek L

" Do 'Occupy Wall Street' protesters represent your views about the nation's economic problems? "

Fox News takes a poll on #occupywallstreet Bet they weren't expecting this result!

Results

Maybe.. 2.58% (5,095)

No........ 27.47% (54,255)

Yes....... 69.15% (136,573)

............. UPDATE ... 143,860 ... 144,159 ... 144,404 ... ... :)

Other... .8 % (1,584)

Yay Fox News!!

:D :D

From the link:

This is a non-scientific viewer question

O'Reilly had a poll a week or so back on who'd make the best president.........Cain and Paul supporters flooded the poll with the inherit results showing........

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/09/29/who-will-win-2011-world-series/

On this viewer poll, most voters thought the Phillies and Yankees would win the world series.....

It's fine by me...I helped them do it. The pity tears pour from you...not I.

Well then why do you want those jobs back, hmm?

That doesn't make any sense....should people not want jobs right now?

Of course it does. Greed is what makes people take away someone elses future. Your CEO's sold out the American work force when they outsourced to places like Canada, Mexico, China, India, Pakistan. Anywhere they could increase the profit margin. Cause they want the money NOW, get it? I know you do.

And now we have today. I'm not shedding tears. What we have today is fine by me. Because I've always known if you give the greedy enough time they will eat their own guts out. The snake eats its own tail, and not it's come full circle. Hell yeah, this is great. And it's only the beginning...

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Granted anyone can coast by with a C, get their BA and flip burgers for the rest of their life, but don't be so insulting to those that actually put in the work to get first class honours and full scholarships. It's a hell of a lot more difficult than the credit you give it.

I agree. If you want to get A's while taking your BA or similar degrees, you have to put in the time, you have to have some intelligence, and you must be able to write and critically analyze very well.

I took some statistics research courses for political science. I didn't find them super-easy (math is never fun), but I did get an A+ in all of them because with math you either have the right number as your answer or you don't. There is no subjective opinion of the profs/TA's marking your essays like in most "arts" classes. Getting an A+ on an essay is damn near impossible, which is why I found the stats classes much easier to get better grades.

I had a friend in high school who was excellent at math, and took all math classes in his final year of HS, and he ended the year with a 98% or 99% average or something ridiculous like that.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Well then why do you want those jobs back, hmm?

Because outsourcing American jobs to Canada was fine, right?

Of course it does. Greed is what makes people take away someone elses future. Your CEO's sold out the American work force when they outsourced to places like Canada, Mexico, China, India, Pakistan. Anywhere they could increase the profit margin. Cause they want the money NOW, get it? I know you do.

Labor is labor...it's not limited to national borders.

And now we have today. I'm not shedding tears. What we have today is fine by me. Because I've always known if you give the greedy enough time they will eat their own guts out. The snake eats its own tail, and not it's come full circle. Hell yeah, this is great. And it's only the beginning...

Ooooh...scary! Doom is upon us! What will people ever do with unemployment rates almost as high as the early 1980's.

Kids!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Ordinary people are quite happy to accept entitlements, but don't want to pay for them. They want the "rich" to pay, right? That's just as greedy as any well heeled rich folk....only worse.

I think there's a huge difference between a $1000 a month (if that) Social Security check, and the mainenance of the lifestyles of Wall Street big shots.