Occupy Wall Street Sept 17 2011

That's exactly what I was going to say.

They go around with all of their electronic conveniences, hitting McD's et al when needed, chowing down on free pizza, as they in effect give free advertisement to the very establishments they are protesting. I heard one protester complain because she has student loans. How terribly sad. Mostly, though, it sounds as if those joining in have the mindset of coming late to a party. I don't take anyone who has this much time to protest seriously. They've made their point. Now it's time to get back to the Real World of trying to make changes in their own lives - ie: find jobs. If they aren't smart enough to realize that they've already made as much of a point - as much of a difference - as they are going to make no matter how long they drag this on, it might explain why they are unemployed. As the money for donations to feed them pizzas keeps coming in, I can't help but think of the truly hungry people that those donations could be helping feed.

Made a point, yes, but they are holding out to make real change.

They are also feeding the homeless of NYC with donated food.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will make a point - but one must remember..that these people who hold the nations wealth are not like us...they are a hard hearted bunch - that is how they got to where they are.

Are you joking? That is their contribution to hope and change? We already know how to feed homeless people far better than with the scraps of their flash mob protest.

My brother is a cabbie based in Midtown Manhattan....he says these protester wannabes are a laughing stock. Even the homeless are shouting at them, "Get a JOB!"

Guest American Woman

What real change? What do they think they will accomplish by staying out there? First of all, someone has to care that they are there, they have to be affecting someone negatively. Who, in the corporate world/Wall Street, would that be??

They are also eating food that could be going to the homeless.

Are you joking? That is their contribution to hope and change? We already know how to feed homeless people far better than with the scraps of their flash mob protest.

My brother is a cabbie based in Midtown Manhattan....he says these protester wannabes are a laughing stock. Even the homeless are shouting at them, "Get a JOB!"

What - no free money...............come to Canada and they will put you on a thing called ONTARIO WORKS....used to be called welfare. If you want free money they make you work for it - jump through hoops - not a moments rest - meetings - training sessions - forced volunteer work....employing experts.....collecting so-called welfare in Ontario is the lowest paid job you will ever have - they don`t just let you sit...they torment you until you get a job or do more work and attempt to claim disablity...the Harris Plan - make welfare as unpleasant and labour intensive as you can.....now corporate welfare....that`s a lot more easy ...and no one looks down their nose at you. No matter what there is not such thing as a free ride or lunch.

Sounds a lot like Michigan Works. :)

Makes you want to get a job...people assume when they fall or intentionally leap into the social safety net that it is some sort of beer drinking party...It is a grueling affair...it can break you....personally - making a buch is not a problem...IF you have extended family that is established in some sort of enterprise - problem with todays youth is that everyone they know is exactly like them - educated with no skill or experience...they can`t go and sweep up for Uncle Peter for a thousand a week cash...cos all they have is the degree and no contacts...that is the problem ----------If your father was a doctor or lawyer - you will get a job though his old contacts - but if your dad was a carpenter - and YOU get a degree in Law - you might not find work. - cos - you are not connected.

....If your father was a doctor or lawyer - you will get a job though his old contacts - but if your dad was a carpenter - and YOU get a degree in Law - you might not find work. - cos - you are not connected.

Hey, that's true. After my old man's show-biz career was over, he would get landscaping gigs from Las Vegas entertainers...people like Red Foxx or Tony Orlando. "Landscaping" is a glorified term for mowing lawns, but it paid the rent. He taught me that I could always have a job with a lawnmower and $500 pick-up truck.

Hey, that's true. After my old man's show-biz career was over, he would get landscaping gigs from Las Vegas entertainers...people like Red Foxx or Tony Orlando. "Landscaping" is a glorified term for mowing lawns, but it paid the rent. He taught me that I could always have a job with a lawnmower and $500 pick-up truck.

Lived in Oakland Cal...for a bit long ago - we worked for the local cemetary - we had a pick up....the locals would come and cut deals with us - haul this and we will give you that - also - back in my hick days - my brother and I would crusie the back roads sipping whiskey and collecting copper from abandoned farms...we made a buck - put food on the table - and we were free...................so - Landscaping hugh...The guy on the corner needs some decorative renovation - Paint the trim at the entrance of his upscale market --------I will over charge him - If he goes for the high price - I will do it - if he low balls me - I will go take a nap.....every one I knows that makes money does it through a series of people they and their fathers knew...

We were lucky because we had independent dads that knew people - and had good reputations...through being the children of free enterprisers we have enterprise now if we want it...Kids graduating from university are usually not that connected _ if they were connected they would not have had to go to school to ensure an income.

....We were lucky because we had independent dads that knew people - and had good reputations...through being the children of free enterprisers we have enterprise now if we want it...Kids graduating from university are usually not that connected _ if they were connected they would not have had to go to school to ensure an income.

Maybe that's part of their problem....dad/fathering issues. A father's time is far more valuable than his money.

Since this was posted on reddit, I'll assume we're able to copy it directly here. This is allegedly a letter from someone that was involved early on in the Tea Party movement. In it, he or she discusses how the movement was taken over by the mainstream media and Republicans, which lead to its bastardization. This happens not through a "secret agenda", but rather the way politics are rationalized in the United States. I believe it's well worth the read:

I don't expect you to believe me. I want you to read this, take it with a grain of salt, and do the research yourself. You may not believe me, but I want your movement to succeed. From a former tea partier to you, young new rebels, there's some advice to prevent what happened to our now broken movement from happening to you. I don't agree with everything your movement does, but I sympathize with your cause and agree on our common enemy. You guys are very intelligent and I trust that you will take this in the spirit it is intended.

I wish I could believe this Occupy Wall Street was still about ®Evolution, but so far, all I am seeing is a painful rehash of how the corporate-funded government turned the pre-Presidential election tea party movement into the joke it is now. We were anarchists and ultra-libertarians, but above all we were peaceful. So, the media tried painting us as racists. But when that didn't work they tried to goad us into violence. When that failed, they killed our movement with money and false kindness from the theocratic arm of the Republican party. That killed our popular support.

I am sharing these observations, so you guys know what's going on and can prevent the media from succeeding in painting you as violent slacker hippies rebelling without a cause, or from having the movement be hijacked by a bunch of corporatists seeking to twist the movement's original intentions. If you think this can't happen, it happened to the Independence Party and the tea party movement. Don't let it happen to your movement as well.

Here's how they turned our movement into a bunch of pro-corporate Republican party rebranding astroturf, and this is how I predict they are turning your movement into a bunch of pro-corporate Democratic party rebranding astroturf. I believe many of these things are already happening, so take note.

1- The media will initially and purposely avoid covering your dissenting movement to cause confusion about what your movement is about within mainstream audiences. This is to enrage you and make you appear unreasonable, and perhaps even invisible.

2- While the obsfuscation is happening, stooges will infiltrate and give superficial support, focus and financial backing to the targetted movement. In the tea party movement's case, it was the religious Republicans and Koch Brothers. In this case, it's the Public Sector Unions (the organizations as quasi-human entities, not the members themselves) and Ultra Rich liberals who pretend to care, but frankly do not serve liberators and freedom seekers but rather the interests of those who run the Public Sector Unions and the Democratic Party. Democrat, Republican, these parties are all part of the same corporate ruling system. Case in point: http://www.debates.org/

3-The media will cover the movement only after this infiltration succeeds. Once the infiltration is completed the MSM will manufacture public media antipathy towards the movement by using selective focus on the movement's most repulsive elements or infiltrators on the corporate Conservative media side, while the corporate Liberal media will create a more sympathetic tragic hero image -- this is the flip side of the tea party, but same media manipulation tactics. I go into greater detail on this tactic: http://vaslittlecrow.com/blog/2011/09/08/how-the-media-and-ideological-groups-manipulate-your-beliefs/

4- Someone in the Democratic Party will feign sympathy for the movement and falsely "non-partisan" entities provide tons of funding and unwanted organization, just as was done with the tea party movement by Republicans. Once people assume that the pro-corporate government operatives are their friends, they will hijack the movement and the threat of your movement will be neutralized.

If this new Occupy Wall Street movement is to survive, here's what needs to be done.

1- Loudly denounce violence and disavow the violent rabblerousers of the movement. They do not help the cause.

2- Be image conscious. Present your best face and call out those who act like fools within the movement. People are more likely to pay attention to you in your Sunday dress and bringing homemade food, than when you are drinking a bottle of Snapple and chomping on Big Macs while you are looking like a slacker rich hipster/unwashed hippie stereotype.

3- Accept that you've already been infiltrated by the corporate-funded government, and work hard to say, and state what your movement is and is not about. "No, this isn't about unions or Liberals, conservatives or bored spoiled brats. This is about 99% of our population being exploited and manipulated for the sake of profit." "No we will not resort to violence." "Yes, all we want is for for the end of government collusion with corporate entities that are illegitimately recognized as people." And, so forth...

4- Don't forget who you are as the illusions are thrown at you. Corporatists are masters of illusions. That's the most powerful weapon they have. That's how they sell products you don't need and convince you to justify accepting atrocities for the sake of products Don't fall for it. Otherwise, your cause will be lost. Be wary of large donations from special interest groups or non-profit corporations that were not involved this movement from the inception. Special interests groups are not your allies. Non-profit corporations are still corporations, and unfortunately, too many of them care more about donations than doing the right thing. Killing a movement with kindness is easy.

5- Remain independent and focused. If you can, pick a face to represent your movement. Rosa Parks wasn't just a random lady in a bus. http://l3d.cs.colorado.edu/systems/agentsheets/New-Vista/bus-boycott/ -- She was chosen. You too can use the power of illusion against those who oppose you.

I wish your movement better luck than we had with the tea party movement before it got hijacked by the theocrats and corporatists. We used to be non-partisan too. We were the older version of you. But, I believe that as the media apparatchik and infiltrators start to twist your cause, you will understand the frustration us early adopter tea partiers felt and that we were not your enemy after all. A fascist oligarchy on the verge of winning is our common enemy. This should be your focus. Don't be dazzled by the illusion as we were. For the sake of our future, know who you are.

Thank you for reading. I would love to read your ideas on the subject. Correct me where I am wrong. Explain what is going right. This is ultimately your fight.

EDIT: To understand how movements get hijacked, check out this fantastic video that JamesCarlin shared:

If my essay seems too conspiratorial or tl;dr for your tastes, try Hibernator's excellent and much less paranoid sounding summary below:

"Someone starts a movement. It starts small, and there's a lot going on in the world, so the mainstream media gives it minimal coverage. Today's mainstream media is also understaffed, so they don't investigate and they wait for someone else to slap a label on it.

Eventually a sound byte X pops up above the noise and the mainstream media uses this to engage viewers and define the movement. This defining characteristic X spreads like a meme.

People in power now notice what's going on, and think to themselves "Hmm, this new movement is defined by X, and that's almost in line with my goals, so maybe I can use them to further my ends."

But people in power are all labelled as Democrats or Republicans, so now the media applies the polarizing filter of American politics to associate movement X with one of the parties.

The original movement has now been labelled X, and associated with a political party, and none of this happened because of any 'government conspiracy.' It just happened because that's what you get as output when you plug something new into the American political system."

EDIT: Thanks to Whiskey With My Coffee and all the other redditors who have been sharing my message around the Web. I am so grateful to you.

http://redd.it/kyjo2

Also, this interview done by Fox News was never aired and it gives you a sort of taste of how they attempt to mould the agenda. Embedding may be disabled.

Erin Burnett (CNN) just made one of these protesters look very silly, revealing to him that the American taxpayer actually made money on Wall Street's portion of TARP funding. Then to rub it in, she donned a pair of cannabis logo sunglasses, demonstrating how to ruin ones mainstream credibility.

Maybe that's part of their problem....dad/fathering issues. A father's time is far more valuable than his money.

I gave my kids nothing but time - cos when I had money - I would waste it on myself...they were fed - housed and protected - and I was always around - either playing with them - or hiding out in my room with a hang over - but at least I was there....fatherly issues are as such -we had role models - My dad was a free operator...my mother was an enterpriser - and they held family first - not status - not money...but flesh and blood - Some say I made a lot of bad turns - but in the end...I was right - I was worth more than money to my children..and they love their old man - not for what I gave them - but for who I am...I am turely thankful that I was guided by a little devine light of freedom!

Guest Derek L

These protesters aren't gonna win many hearts and minds with actions like these...

And yet, they call corporations/government Nazis……..Heard one good point made the last couple of days (I think Ann Coulter?)…to paraphrase….They are going to Wall Street to protest the greed of corporations, yet, how many Corporations are based on wall street anymore?

Well truth be told, I doubt this is the overall representation of all the protestors…….none the less, outbursts like this will further hurt their already misguided and truly leaderless and voiceless cause……….What is it they truly want?

To me, eating handouts and sleeping in parks and marching up and down the streets only really accomplishes screwing up traffic……..

I have a bit of a philosophical question for everyone. What if you held a protest, and nobody cared?

That doesn't appear to be the case here.

Can you, for example, just stop paying attention to it?

I think it's grabbed the imagination.

What if we really can rein in the predators who are taking an increasing portion of Canada's wealth - resources, infrastructure and labour, that belongs to all of us - and instead of letting them lead us around by the nose, we keep them in the middle of our circle to keep an eye on them, where they can only contribute as one shareholder in Canada, equal to each of the rest of us. :)

Edited by jacee

I think it's grabbed the imagination.

I agree....wholesale ridicule is better than no attention at all.

What if we really can rein in the predators who are taking an increasing portion of Canada's wealth - resources, infrastructure and labour, that belongs to each of us - and instead of letting them lead us around by the nose, we put them in the middle of the circle where they can only contribute as one shareholder in Canada, equal to the rest of us. :)

That wouldn't help Peru or Chile, where Canadian mining companies "rape" the earth and locals.

That wouldn't help Peru or Chile, where Canadian mining companies "rape" the earth and locals.

We'll see about that, and it's good you brought it up. What evidence is there of rapes?

http://www.miningwatch.ca

(Ottawa) A report obtained by MiningWatch Canada reveals that Canadian mining companies are implicated in four times as many violations of Corporate Socia Responsibility (CSR) as mining companies from other countries. The report was commissioned by the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada(PDAC) in 2009 but was never released to the public The report discusses 171 high-profile CSR violations by mining companies between 1999 and 2009. Sixty-three percent of these violations are linked to companies from just five countries, including Canada. Canadian mining companies are involved in more than four times as many violations as the next two highest offenders, Australia and India The report's authors conclude that “...Canadian companies have been the most significant group involved in unfortunate incidents in the developing world. Canadian companies have played a much more major role than their peers from Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States. Canadian companies are more likely to be engaged in community conflict environmental and unethical behaviour...”

Edited by jacee

Why do the protestors look like Hipsters - with eye liner and those funny hair styles...nothing more stupid that a white kid with eye liner and matted hair that they call dreads.....If these protestors want some power - they had better start acting like dignified men and woman who carry themselves with authroity - presentation is everything - counter culture simply states that you have no culture so you make one up......like that girly hipster thing - whats wrong with having a deep voice and walking tall like a mAn?

Guest Derek L

Why do the protestors look like Hipsters - with eye liner and those funny hair styles...nothing more stupid that a white kid with eye liner and matted hair that they call dreads.....If these protestors want some power - they had better start acting like dignified men and woman who carry themselves with authroity - presentation is everything - counter culture simply states that you have no culture so you make one up......like that girly hipster thing - whats wrong with having a deep voice and walking tall like a mAn?

Indeed, compare this street circus to the civil rights movement, Vietnam protestors, no nukes & save the whales and even today’s Tea Party, and they leave much to be desired……

The one thing we will see is a tighter control over the net because of what Anonymous says they are going to do to the NYSE.

This will just give a reason to the government to put new tighter controls on everything.

I don't trust Anon. I don't think they are who they say they are.